Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Wifi

Does anyone have a good idea to get better reception if the WiFi is weak in an RV park?it's OK sometimes, but goes away most of the time. Try and use two ipads and forget it. Any good cheap Ideas?

Thanks
RC
Utah Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Kid View Post
Does anyone have a good idea to get better reception if the WiFi is weak in an RV park?it's OK sometimes, but goes away most of the time. Try and use two ipads and forget it. Any good cheap Ideas?
this is what we use and are very please with it,.... I actually bought two last year, one for each of our laptops, does a very good job of boosting the campground wifi signal, ... with the way electronic devices get outdated so quickly, there may be a newer model available by now, but this one has been very dependable for us,.................

Alfa 1000mW Wi Fi AWUS036H 5 dBi Omni 7 dBi Directional Antenna Long Range Kit 4718050300143 | eBay

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #3

thanks, I'll check that out

RC
Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Look at the Alpha Camp Pro kit. But no matter how good of a system you get i have found campgrounds Wifi is usually pretty pitiful.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Something I learned from Marriott several years ago when I couldn't get my iPad to connect in the room. Go out into the hallway, let it connect then go back in the room and it should be okay.
Try going outside to get a connection then move into the RV. Can't hurt to try.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
Always Learning

The WifiRanger is designed for just that purpose. Here's how I use mine in my camper:

http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/cel...rks-oh-my.html
Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #7

Agree with the wifi ranger. Installed mine and used at a park with limited wifi. It worked great

2006 Chevy 2500HD
2017 Cedar Creek 34RE
brownm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Wifi

JUST want to thank all of you that responded to my problem about the wifi, I got a booster-extender and it works great.

Thanks again UK
Old 08-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

I highly recommend wifiranger. Posting this across one. Turns a bad connection far from the office into a good strong one, user interface is very straight forward.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

I use WiFi Ranger. But...

Don't expect miracles. The problem my not be the bars of signal you get. Two or three on a device is usually fine. One bar is frequently enough for email or slow loading of an Amazon or Ebay page. The campground usually has one connection coming in and it has a max bandwidth limit. Let's say it's a gigabit connection. So you now send it out to 4 or 5 locations through the campground. Each connection is a gigabit connection but it gets bottled up at the campground connection to the cloud (No one understands the cloud ). If you have 20 campers connecting to the Internet WiFi and streaming Netflix or Pandora a gigabit split 20 ways is about 50 megabits per connection. That's not even considered highspeed at that point. And how many campers are actually connected may be significantly higher.

The second issue is latency. To make it understandable, from your device to the bath house is a hop. From the bath house to the campground switch is a hop. From the switch to the CO is a hop. From the CO to the backbone is a hop. Every time you had a hop a packet of info is addressed and passed on. Think of it has mail going from post office to post office till it gets to your house. The more hops, the more time is added while a new envelope is created, addressed and sent down the line. This latency can cause a fast connection seem slow as the device must buffer the packets into place to build up enough information to run through decompression if its used.

In other words. You may spend $$$ for a wifi extender and still have unusable wifi, especially in a crowded campground on a weekend. I'd spend the money on a T-Mobile MiFi device where you get lots of bandwidth unrestricted (21 gigs starting 9/6/2016 or more if the towers are not congested) and unlimited streaming for supported services. If you're concerned about the lower coverage area, verizon hits a lot of areas that T-Mobile doesn't but be careful as HD video will eat up to 5 gigs of data in a few hours and it's typically possible for it to be more expensive depending on your plan. Make sure you throttle all your devices to use only low bandwidth data streaming for Verizon/AT&T.

I only have the WiFi ranger because my wife works from our camper on weekday camping and the about 50% of the time we can use WiFi to keep mobile costs down.

Good Luck!
JC
(Former Microsoft Server and TCP/IP Certified Network Engineer)
((That means geek))
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #11

Second that. It is secure and works great. Worth the cost.

2006 Chevy 2500HD
2017 Cedar Creek 34RE
brownm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

X3... JC has it exactly right. There are no cheap solutions to parks not having enough bandwidth....only to weak signals.
Cell data is expensive but the only way to be assured of decent wifi in most locations.
You can use your phone as a hot spot to avoid extra hardware but running video or games is gonna be very expensive very quickly.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote