Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Will the water lines freeze?

We returned from warm weather last week. With temps at home being as low as 30 at night. We are concerned our water lines could freeze or be damaged. People say its not a hard freeze, and we should be fine.

We open all facets and low point drains in Florida , then pulled it home. Thinking any water would shake out. Hope we figured correct.

Anyone know what temp will freeze camper lines?

Boatdude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Pickin' & Campin'

As most everyone knows, water BEGINS to freeze at 32 F.

Just remember, it doesn't freeze the INSTANT it gets down to that temperature.
It takes many hours for ice to become present.

Also remember, just because it is 32 OUTSIDE, it doesn't mean it is 32 INSIDE.

One night at 30 would not bother me with temps higher during the day.

Can you leave the furnace on low or plug in an electric space heater to ease your mind?

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

We consider that...but as you pointed out, with warm temp during the day, it should not be an issue.

Im probably just paranoid. Wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.
Boatdude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Site Team

To answer the question, 32F.

Seriously though, it's not the the temp of the air you really have to worry about. What you have to worry about is when will whatever water you have left reach it's freezing point. Way too many variables at play to say when that will happen.

By opening the low points, you've drained most of the water, so really, it's just the residual water in the water pump you'd have to really worry about. Assuming of course that your black/grey tanks are empty? I'm also assuming you didn't put the water heater in bypass, so it too should have emptied via the low point drains. Or at least, emptied enough that hopefully you don't have to worry about expansion due to a freeze.

So, getting back to that water pump, if the water pump is in an insulated area, it's going to take longer for that water to lose enough of it's heat to reach freezing. If it's exposed to the elements, it'll lose it's heat quicker.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Team

You probably OK unless you have below freezing temps for 5-6 hrs. You can sit a plastic cup with an oz of water next to camper to judge. For future reference, I would not assume that driving with the faucets and low point drains open will remove all the water in the lines.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #6

I am 200 miles north of Indiana with snow on the ground and dewinterized my trailer Sunday. I am not worried myself. Your Cedar Creek should be fine.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You probably OK unless you have below freezing temps for 5-6 hrs. You can sit a plastic cup with an oz of water next to camper to judge. For future reference, I would not assume that driving with the faucets and low point drains open will remove all the water in the lines.
I found with my Rockwood it would also suck the water heater clean dry as well! easy flush system!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I found with my Rockwood it would also suck the water heater clean dry as well! easy flush system!
It also sucks all the calcium deposits that are in the bottom of the water heater back into the lines. These deposits then get stuck in the sink aerators, toilet flush valves and shower head. I wouldn't recommend it as a flush method.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Looking at the forecast for the city listed in your profile, I see lows mostly in the 40's and 50's for the next 10 days. You're probably ok.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #10

What will freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
To be more specific, it's not easy to drain the flush valve on a Dometic toilet. Many of us have lost one to freezing. If you're lucky, you see the spray as soon as you turn on the water again. If you're not (like the guy with trailer across from mine), the water runs silently down along the water line until the floor rots and the insulation is drenched.

On our big trailer we use potable antifreeze and remember to run some through the toilet. The little trailer has been drained, and you can bet I'll check it carefully when we connect water to it.

Larry

Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water