Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #21

Roof Data Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer69 View Post
Just a word of caution. Don't be making any decisions until you have located all connections, wiring etc including getting on the roof and putting an eyeball on that label. I don't believe the location for the antennae will be forward of the front a/c. We have different units but not that much difference, my is 36 CKTS. On mine the hole with the label was not by the hole where the cables were that connected to the control box. The label on the roof was about even with the entry door and on the left half of the roof. Where mine hooked up to the control box was several feet away and the opposite side of the trailer. I think when you are able to get on the roof you will find your label in a similar location. That hole in the closet is probably where the cable for you control box will be located. Under the label in the roof will be 2 coax cables, they go one each to your TV's and a controller cable that comes out probably in your closed where the control box will go. There will a cable that comes with your dish that is the same as the one in the roof so save it or toss it you wont need it. If you check my profile for previous post back in late April I posted some diagrams from Cedar Creek for the wiring also I included some picture of what the hookups in your living room cabinet should look like. These have to be in the correct order or no reception. I've included a link below if it works. Its really easy just don't start till you get an eyeball on the whole layout and walk through it a couple times.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-58963.html
One of my biggest questions was about the 'Data' wire on the roof. Looking at my 33IK I think the Winegard Trav'ler dish will have to go in front of the rear A/C unit. I am hoping the wires (data & coax) are long enough to reach that location. My FW is in the shop so I can't go out and look at it, I hope to have it back today or tomorrow. I didn't have much if a change to look at the inside wiring before taking it to the shop, but with the help of wanderer69 diagrams & photos this hook-up should not be much of a problem. My 33Ik did come with the Dish 211z receiver installed under the living room TV. I'm hoping the only thing I need to do 'Is mount the Trav'ler' on the roof and hook-up the control box in the bed room....... Piece of Cake.. RIGHT! Not so fast.......... the way my luck has been going the last couple of week that is a BIG question "MARK":signhavef un:
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
I did not want to mention this diagram until I could find it but this should help explain what is going on with the wiring. This picture show the color codes as well and paints the picture for what I was describing. I thought I had it at home but it was in my RV. This did not come with my RV however I obtained it from a dealer several years ago.

I also have the diagram for the over the air/cable wiring if anyone needs it.
Enjoy

Attachment 70878
Thank you,
could you post that "air/cable wiring" diagram????
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #23

Here are pics of two different installations. The first is the Trav'ler on an XLR roof where there was tons of room. I ran the cables forward to come through the roof over the TV. The XLR was NOT pre-wired for a Trav'ler.

The second two pics are the installation on a SilverBack 29RE with pre-wiring. As it says in the Trav'ler installation manual, you need 25x42 inches of clearance and 8" from arm to roof. The only thing we have to do is ensure the roof vents are closed when the Trav'ler is going up or coming down.

I chose to encase the cables in plastic conduit as shown. That conduit is easy to find at any hardware store.

Hope the pics give you a better idea on your installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07 Jul Dish installed 1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	71196   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03 Mar Trav'ler on Silverback 1.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	71197   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03 Mar Trav'ler on Silverback 2.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	71198  
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #24

When stowed, the Trav'ler is 9 3/4 inches high. That is most likely shorter than your AC unit -- it certainly is on my RV.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
The second two pics are the installation on a SilverBack 29RE with pre-wiring. As it says in the Trav'ler installation manual, you need 25x42 inches of clearance and 8" from arm to roof. The only thing we have to do is ensure the roof vents are closed when the Trav'ler is going up or coming down.
danno2u:
Do you recall how lone the "data & coax cable" coming out of the roof were? I think I'll need about 8 or 10 feet of cable.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #26

Yes, the decal where the wiring should be is above the door, right side of centerline. It looks like my install will be in front right of the fantastic fan, but I need to measure clearances. It may look like pics 2 and 3 above.

I'd like to find a spot where fan lid up or down won't interfere, because...you know.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene85222 View Post
danno2u:
Do you recall how lone the "data & coax cable" coming out of the roof were? I think I'll need about 8 or 10 feet of cable.
I didn't pull the cable out as far as it would go so I can't answer the question. You can see from the last pic that the coax & data cable were at least 3 feet from the pre-wired hole and there was more available. My gut tells me you won't get 8-10 feet of wire, but that's just a guess.

It's relatively easy to go on the roof and check how much cable you'll have. Just open the pre-wire spot, fish out the cable and measure it. Then replace and cover with some tape. Then you'll know if you need to look for a closer installation spot.

Another possible option would be to use the data cable that came with your Trav'ler and connect it to the one out of your roof. I don't know if you'd be able to find a connector or if you'd have to cut and splice wires (yech).

I found a contact for Winegard on another forum. His name is Andy Crowner (email: acrow@winegard.com). That was from 2009 so he may have moved on by now. But you could try to ask him the question if he's still there.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordog View Post
Yes, the decal where the wiring should be is above the door, right side of centerline. It looks like my install will be in front right of the fantastic fan, but I need to measure clearances. It may look like pics 2 and 3 above.

I'd like to find a spot where fan lid up or down won't interfere, because...you know.
The Trav'ler only moves at initial power on and when you retract it. There's no concerns about it moving & hitting your open vents otherwise. I just verify the vents are closed prior to operating. You could hang yourself a note by the control box if that would help...
Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #29

Quote:
danno2u:
The data cable and 2 coax were approximately 3 feet long. That length came out easily, and I didn't tug any harder. All 3 were taped together in a bundle.

There is not going to be much flexibility in where to mount the dish. The distance between the shower skylight and the kitchen Fantastic Fan is 45". Dish needs 44" when down. Too far to the left will interfere with the crank-up antenna, and wiring won't reach.

The wire hole in the roof will keep me from going too far right. It's about center between the roof centerline and edge.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #30

After looking at this photo again that danno2u posted for a Trav'ler he mounted on a Silverback 29RE. I can see that I should be able to place my Trav'ler in the same location behind the vent from the bathroom on my 33IK. The first time I read the installation instructions I thought I needed 36" around the antenna mount base. Now I understand that that is not the case .... 36" is only for something that is as tall as the dish when it is in the raised position, not something like the cover on the bathroom vent.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #31

Quote:
.... 36" is only for something that is as tall as the dish when it is in the raised position, not something like the cover on the bathroom vent.
Exactly! The arm raises to a horizontal position 8 inches above the RV, then it spins around. As long as obstructions are below that 8 inches, there is no issue.

Just watch your placement as the landing zone for the arm when it retracts is pretty close to a vent. But since the Trav'ler is in the retracted position when you install it, you can easily see where the landing zone is. I bought the landing zone plate (SKA004) for the 29RE (sold separately - Amazon & others for about $10). On my XLR I didn't use the plate with no ill effects. This plate can be added after installation if you decide to use it later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	71243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	71244  
Old 03-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #32

Quote:
I bought the landing zone plate (SKA004) for the 29RE (sold separately - Amazon & others for about $10). On my XLR I didn't use the plate with no ill effects. This plate can be added after installation if you decide to use it later.
Do you have an idea as to the size the 'landing zone plate' is. I have a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate 4" x 6" I could use.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #33

4x6 is about right. You can see the little landing plate in the pics.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #34

I finely got my Silverback back from the repair shop and got the nerve to install the Dish Traveler on the roof. It turned out to be easer that I thought. I had a neighbor help carry the dish up to the roof. The only confusing part was. The "Satellite Pre-Wire" drawing showed that the wires in the roof were "Gray & Orange". Wrong........... One is 'White' and the other is kind of a 'Brown' color. I thought that the 'White' coax looked on the Gray side so that is the one I hooked to the dish. I had to go back and pull the 'Brown' out and hook it to the dish. The coax cables did not have connectors on them but I have the kit to install them on with. You can see the dish connections in the photos. Also behind the TV the coax cable for the receiver was on the wrong connector (also in one of the photos). They had it on the connector on the right. After getting the coax cable on the right connectors and calling Dish Network to turn on the receiver, every thing works like a charm. The first time I turned the dish on it took a long time for the dish to lock on to the satellites and I was getting nervous that some thing was wrong but it just took longer than I thought it should. I added an external harddrive so I can a record a program if I want. I hope this helps someone else to install their Traveler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dish 3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	74134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 4.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	74135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	74136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	74137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	74138  

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	74139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	74140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	74141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	74142  
Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #35

Very nice job!

I'd recommend you put a soft cloth (like a wash rag) under your power module as it will bounce on that hard wood when you drive. I learned that lesson the hard way when the case on mine showed actually loosened from bouncing.

Enjoy your Trav'ler!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Very nice job!

I'd recommend you put a soft cloth (like a wash rag) under your power module as it will bounce on that hard wood when you drive. I learned that lesson the hard way when the case on mine showed actually loosened from bouncing.

Enjoy your Trav'ler!
I'm probably going to put double stick Velcro under the power supply and disk controller to keep them from sliding around.

Tags
winegard