Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Winterizing New 36CKTS

This is our first time winterizing our new CC. It does have the residential frig with ice maker. Looks like we can pump pink stuff threw all the lines until we see pink. Not sure about ice maker. Any tip are appreciated.
ReTrax Pro Cover
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

The line can be disconnected under the slide and either blown out or pink stuff pumped through. The only problem is the solenoid on the back of the fridge. I have seen two solutions for this.
1. An access door was installed through the slide wall.
2. Pink stuff was pumped in and the ice maker was manually cycled. This is done with a jumper wire in the holes under the front cover.
There is actually a third method that is a bit more radical however I found it to be extremely effective. Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-987532620.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	40478  
Old 10-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

I read somewhere that pink stuff can break the ice maker mechanism. I like the third option....nice rig.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatDude View Post
I read somewhere that pink stuff can break the ice maker mechanism. I like the third option....nice rig.
Break it how ?

Just curious.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #5

I read a post some time back that said not to use pink stuff in the ice maker or make pink ice cubes. Apparently doing so is not good the the ice maker mechanism. My understanding is to get the water out of the water line up to where it connects to the back of the frig. Im thinking just roll the frig out and disconnect it from the frig and blow it out. The ice maker mechanism is built to be frozen so no reason the do anything. That is for the residential type frig. Thats what I read.....not sure were is was....but remember the theory.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
I read a post some time back that said not to use pink stuff in the ice maker or make pink ice cubes. Apparently doing so is not good the the ice maker mechanism. My understanding is to get the water out of the water line up to where it connects to the back of the frig. Im thinking just roll the frig out and disconnect it from the frig and blow it out. The ice maker mechanism is built to be frozen so no reason the do anything. That is for the residential type frig. Thats what I read.....not sure were is was....but remember the theory.
I might be familiar with a post like that... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post454598 The experience I had was that the icemaker would not make ice until all of the pink stuff was cleaned out. There was no mechanical damage to the ice maker. Just a bloody mess. On the 36 series units (and maybe others), you can't get to the solenoid without pulling the fridge. Not an easy task. If you disconnect the feed line to the solenoid under the slide, when you cycle the ice maker, gravity will allow the water to drain from the feed tube in the freezer box down. Problem is that the cycle may be too short and the solenoid may not drain. Soooo, that leaves you with putting some air pressure to the tube in the freezer box or a suction at the bottom if you don't want to pull the fridge or install an access door. Or of course, head South just like .... wait for it.... the Ducks! Ref: Ice maker was a Norcold in my Jayco Designer Legacy 3590RLTS.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Or of course, head South just like .... wait for it.... the Ducks!
How true Ducky!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #8

I am faced with the same issue. I will pull fridge out disconnect solenoid and blow out line with air then shut babe going to refrigerator . It's a pain but I can assure you it will work
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #9

I'm sorry, valve not babe. Small buttons on I phone big fingers.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #10

I assume that I have to open all low point drains then close them..... before I pump the pink stuff threw the system and cycle all the inside fixtures. Anything else im not thinking of? Ill have to study the bypass valves to set them correctly....and pull the water heater plug.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
I assume that I have to open all low point drains then close them..... before I pump the pink stuff threw the system and cycle all the inside fixtures. Anything else im not thinking of? Ill have to study the bypass valves to set them correctly....and pull the water heater plug.

You can pull the plug and drain the water heater and flush it but you may want to put it back to keep spiders and such out of the tank.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #12

don't pull the ref. woun't go back in with out a lot of trouble .I pulled mine .thought I would not get it back in
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #13

How do you ensure the water line and solenoid will be winterized?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
How do you ensure the water line and solenoid will be winterized?
See post #6 in this thread...
Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #15

I tried calling the rv service dept for there instructions on winterizing our residential frig (whirlpool) ice maker. They said to call the manufacture...hmm.

After some reading about how other clean out or winterize their Ice Maker. I found a PDF on removing the front cover and manually cycling the ice maker to introduce antifreeze into the water line. I will be attempt to winterize our ice maker this weekend using this method. I plan to pressurize our water system with antifreeze and repeatably cycle the ice maker manually until i see pink. I'll let you know how it goes.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 10-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
I tried calling the rv service dept for there instructions on winterizing our residential frig (whirlpool) ice maker. They said to call the manufacture...hmm. After some reading about how other clean out or winterize their Ice Maker. I found a PDF on removing the front cover and manually cycling the ice maker to introduce antifreeze into the water line. I will be attempt to winterize our ice maker this weekend using this method. I plan to pressurize our water system with antifreeze and repeatably cycle the ice maker manually until i see pink. I'll let you know how it goes.
Did that. Effective but messy to clean up. I suggest you put something on the icemaker end of the fill tube to keep the pink stuff out of the tray. That's where I made my mistake and it was awful trying to clean that out. Also found that a piece of #12 solid worked best for the jumper between the two circuits. Long time ago but think it was A to D. No quoting that.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #17

Front cover? Where is it located? If I can manually cycle valve, I will just blow it out with air. I have a whirlpool fridge with ice maker too.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #18

Im speaking about the front cover of the ice maker. When its removed the area is exposed that allows a jumper wire to be inserted in order to cycle the ice maker. Caution must be used so that no damage is done to the ice maker controls. The jumper wire can only be applied for a short time. ....then removed to let the ice maker complete its cycle. Its best to find instructions on this process before attempting it. Its appears to be the best method in my case. I like pink over air...just my preference.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #19

Thanks for the tip. I believe the best way to winterized ice maker is to remove the solenoid. Pull fridge out and remove the darn thing and then winterize supply line. I will be doing it this Saturday so e will see what happens.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Just a follow up on our first winterize with our new 36ckts. The water heater bypass and winterization system was really easy to use. After we finished getting pink out of all the facets we were ready to do the ice maker in our residential whirlpool frig.

Is was a breeze. I removed the shelve in the freezer and used a screwdriver to pop of the front ice maker cover. Following a tip from the duck....I removed the 3 screws that hold the ice maker in place. I used the big ice tub (upside down) to support the ice maker while it was still connected. This exposed the water feed tube. I made a small jumper out of 14 g solid wire. I inserted the jumper wire into holes T and H. Do this for about 3 seconds or until you hear a click sound. The timer wheel will continue to rotate until the cycle is complete. Note.... Do not turn the wheel by hand...it will break the system. I held an old baby bottle up to the water feed tube...the water will discharge for a few seconds. On the third cycle we got pink. I repeated this cycling five time just because it was so easy....lol. Hope this helps.
ReTrax Pro Cover

Tags
winter, winterize