Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #1

Winterizing New 36CKTS

This is our first time winterizing our new CC. It does have the residential frig with ice maker. Looks like we can pump pink stuff threw all the lines until we see pink. Not sure about ice maker. Any tip are appreciated.

ReTrax Pro Cover
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Former Full Timer

The line can be disconnected under the slide and either blown out or pink stuff pumped through. The only problem is the solenoid on the back of the fridge. I have seen two solutions for this.
1. An access door was installed through the slide wall.
2. Pink stuff was pumped in and the ice maker was manually cycled. This is done with a jumper wire in the holes under the front cover.
There is actually a third method that is a bit more radical however I found it to be extremely effective. Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-987532620.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	40478  

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

I read somewhere that pink stuff can break the ice maker mechanism. I like the third option....nice rig.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatDude View Post
I read somewhere that pink stuff can break the ice maker mechanism. I like the third option....nice rig.
Break it how ?

Just curious.

Turbs
Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #5

I read a post some time back that said not to use pink stuff in the ice maker or make pink ice cubes. Apparently doing so is not good the the ice maker mechanism. My understanding is to get the water out of the water line up to where it connects to the back of the frig. Im thinking just roll the frig out and disconnect it from the frig and blow it out. The ice maker mechanism is built to be frozen so no reason the do anything. That is for the residential type frig. Thats what I read.....not sure were is was....but remember the theory.
ReTrax Pro Cover
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatDude View Post
I read a post some time back that said not to use pink stuff in the ice maker or make pink ice cubes. Apparently doing so is not good the the ice maker mechanism. My understanding is to get the water out of the water line up to where it connects to the back of the frig. Im thinking just roll the frig out and disconnect it from the frig and blow it out. The ice maker mechanism is built to be frozen so no reason the do anything. That is for the residential type frig. Thats what I read.....not sure were is was....but remember the theory.
I might be familiar with a post like that... Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker The experience I had was that the icemaker would not make ice until all of the pink stuff was cleaned out. There was no mechanical damage to the ice maker. Just a bloody mess. On the 36 series units (and maybe others), you can't get to the solenoid without pulling the fridge. Not an easy task. If you disconnect the feed line to the solenoid under the slide, when you cycle the ice maker, gravity will allow the water to drain from the feed tube in the freezer box down. Problem is that the cycle may be too short and the solenoid may not drain. Soooo, that leaves you with putting some air pressure to the tube in the freezer box or a suction at the bottom if you don't want to pull the fridge or install an access door. Or of course, head South just like .... wait for it.... the Ducks! Ref: Ice maker was a Norcold in my Jayco Designer Legacy 3590RLTS.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Or of course, head South just like .... wait for it.... the Ducks!
How true Ducky!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #8

I am faced with the same issue. I will pull fridge out disconnect solenoid and blow out line with air then shut babe going to refrigerator . It's a pain but I can assure you it will work
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #9

I'm sorry, valve not babe. Small buttons on I phone big fingers.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #10

I assume that I have to open all low point drains then close them..... before I pump the pink stuff threw the system and cycle all the inside fixtures. Anything else im not thinking of? Ill have to study the bypass valves to set them correctly....and pull the water heater plug.

ReTrax Pro Cover

Tags
winter, winterize