Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Winterizing questions

Hello all,
Here it is, middle of September, and we're talking winterizing our new 33IK ...mainly because we are taking a road trip in our car and will be gone for a while. Colorado weather tends to get cold in the early hours, many times at or below freezing.
I'm geared up for winterizing and understand most of what needs to be done, but still have some anxiety about getting it all done correctly.
My 5er has a WH bypass ....and a residential refrigerator.
I have opened all the faucets, low point drains, fresh water tank drain, dumped the black tank and the two gray tanks.
I still have a question about a diagram of the WH Bypass Manifold that is available on the utility panel in the driver's side basement compartment.
Can I assume that this diagram has all the valves in the position that is needed for winterizing and Bypassing the water heater? Nowhere does it state in this diagram that these valves should be "...in this or that position for NORMAL use," or "...in this or that position for Winterizing (Bypassing the WH?)"
I am not an old hand at this procedure so forgive my ignorance.
Many thanks in advance for your responses.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater Bypass Manifold.jpg
Views:	1739
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	151591  

Ron and Sue
Colorado Springs, CO
2014 F250 CCSB PowerStroke 6.7L (aka "Pepe")
AirLift Ultimate 5000#
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK (aka "Fred")
argheebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

The diagram appears to be for the bypass of the WH. In my crazy head I look at the ends of the knobs as arrows pointing to which the water will run. If they are in line with the water lines the "gate" is open and when not in line the "gate" is blocked. I hope I didn't screw you up but it works in my head.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Woodyrock1, Thx for your comments. I do understand the inline position (open) & the perpendicular position (closed). The picture /diagram does not say what position it should be for normal or for winterizing/WH bypassing.
It would be nice to know which is which.
Also, I'm very curious what folks do about their residential refrigerator re: winterizing.
Thx again.
Ron

Ron and Sue
Colorado Springs, CO
AirLift Ultimate 5000#
Old 09-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Argheebe you are right, the diagram stinks. I have no idea how the residential works. Following to see what others have to say. Good luck.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #5

Instructions on how to winterize the refrigerator for those of you with the residential type:

1) Turn off the water supply to the refrigerator at least 24 hours before winterizing the unit.
2) Remove all food and beverages from the refrigerator.
3) Engage the ice maker to purge all of the cubes. When the last load of ice made from the water stored in the unit drops, turn off the ice maker. Lift the handle or flip the switch to "OFF" inside of the freezer.
4) Turn all temperature setting controls to "OFF."
5) Disconnect the refrigerator from the water supply line with an adjustable wrench. Expel the excess water through the water spout if you have an ice maker. Locate and remove the water filter.
6) Clean and dry the unit thoroughly. Place an open box of baking soda on one of the refrigerator shelves.
7) Open the doors of the refrigerator and prop them open with blocks of wood. Unplug the unit to complete the process.

2014 Georgetown 351ds
Darmo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

My guess is

Close the freshwater shut off valve

Open the antifreeze

Close the hot water shut off valve

Open the water heater bypass

Close the fresh water shut off valve

This is just a guess - it is not in the manual?
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #7

In the diagram all the valves are in the closed position and only show the function of each valve. In the diagram to put the water heater in bypass the valve marked “water heater by-pass valve needs to be turned so it is parallel to the line which is the open position. If you have been using hot water in your RV this season then for winterization you would need to turn all three valves to put the water heater into by pass. Hot and Cold line closed, by-pass line open.

Also, if you plan to pump antifreeze into the water lines then you will need to turn the valve on the line in the diagram marked "antifreeze" to the open position (valve ends parallel to the line.) When you’re done pumping antifreeze be sure to close that valve.

The fresh water line is shown in the closed position and you want to keep it that way when pumping antifreeze.

I don’t have a residential fridge so I can’t help you with that.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
The diagram appears to be for the bypass of the WH. In my crazy head I look at the ends of the knobs as arrows pointing to which the water will run. If they are in line with the water lines the "gate" is open and when not in line the "gate" is blocked. I hope I didn't screw you up but it works in my head.
Actually your thinking is quite logical. I use the same approach to the valves on my trailers. Want the fluid to go thru that line ? line up the knob and the fluid flows, If it looks like a gate across the line...the fluid doesn't flow.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #9

We just purchased a 33IK and will also be winterizing for the first time later this year. I'm still not sure about the residential refrigerator. For the water lines, when we had our PDI, the tech at the dealer told us that for normal use all the valves should be in the horizontal position. When winterizing, all the valves should be in the vertical position. Including the anti-freeze valve if you are pumping anti-freeze to winterize. the anti-freeze valve should then be closed when finished pumping through the system.
CampAndSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

We have 2018 33ik. If you have been using the ice maker in the residential fridge you should pump plumbing antifreeze through it by manually activating the arm in the freezer. I second what Oakman describes for all the valve placements. Don't forget about running the antifreeze through the shower in addition to the vanity, toilet, and kitchen sink. Charge the batteries well, check the water level and disconnect the negative cable. Even with the master switch disconnect off there is a small draw on the batteries from the leveling system. Hope this helps
narrowsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #11

Oakman, thx. I do understand the concept of inline (open) and perpendicular (closed). I have looked at this drawing several times and even called my dealer's salesperson, who, by the way, said the exact same thing that you did "Hot and Cold line closed, by-pass line open." However, he said the drawing was confusing and non-intuitive.
I do believe that the more I look at it the more it starts to clear up. Then again, the more I look at it (the more I think about it) the more it starts to confuse.
...good advice, Oakman. I just need to chill.
Thank you.

Ron and Sue
Colorado Springs, CO
AirLift Ultimate 5000#
Old 09-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #12

Actually, info is good; STUPID DIAGRAM WILL DRIVE A SANE PERSON NUTS!! To save 50 cents per unit, FR chooses these nutty thumb things making it much harder than it needs to be.
My old 2012 KEYSTONE had those pictured handles on the diagram.
It was SIMPLE.
It's MUCH HARDER in 35 degree weather; no shelter; wind blowing; always seems to RAIN THAT DAY!!
Wet fingers trying to grasp those stupid things!!
HEY FR; Please cut costs someplace other than HERE.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #13

I have the same diagram, and just looking at it drives me nuts. I do however understand the concept of the valve knob being lined up with the line that allows the water to flow. My question is, how does one get the anti freeze into the unit?

Do you open the anti freeze line with the hot water heater in bypass and then insert the open tube into a gallon of anti freeze and turn the water on?
Gunny7041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #14

All water system purged. Water tank in bypass. Tube into anti freeze jug. WATER PUMP ACTIVATED. Bam. Turn on each faucet until pink flows. Be sure not to forget outside shower or faucet. Flush toilet until pink flows in through lines. BEFORE I START; I remove the annual water filter cartridge and replace clear holder.
When done, I take it back off and pour anti freeze collected into sink traps. Don't forget to put it back on without the filter. Otherwise SPRING SURPRISE when re activating. Drain fresh water plastic tank and leave valve open till sure NO WATER REMAINS OR THE PLASTIC VALVE WILL FREEZE.
[emoji99][emoji99][emoji99] till Spring or next rv use.
We re winterize at least 1x each winter as we travel south. Carry 3 gallons of anti freeze to re do before heading north.......
Next year; repeat [emoji106]
Old 09-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #15

Ohhhh; PLEASE make a check list. Don't ask.....it's ugly!! [emoji23]

Tags
winter