Old 09-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #1

You even got to watch the experts..

Yep, even if you take tires to the tire experts watch them.....I am in the middle of trading my SOB in on a Silverback. Part of the deal was I wanted my LT tires moved over to the Silverback, they are only a year old. The dealer agreed to haul the new trailer in to a major tire dealer and I met them there to change the tires. The one guy took off the drivers side tires on my old trailer and the other guy started to take off the curbside tires on the Creek. I always watch, not like I don't trust people but no I don't trust them. I had to stop them and tell them the LT tires are radials and got to roll the same direction. ????????? I know these guys don't like being watched as they work but sorry I like my rig rolling down the hwy without problems......

Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

You say that the radial tires have to run the same direction, is that only on campers or everything? I have been doing the modified X rotation for years on my trucks with better results than just moving them front to back. My company truck has 130K miles on it and I have been getting around 50K-60K miles out of the Cooper AT3 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
Head Rambler

Not crossing (reversing the rotation of) radial tires was required in the 50's and 60's, but we have better manufacturing processes now, so crossing the tires is fine.

The only tires nowadays that you don't want to reverse are directional tires, and they'll be marked with the direction of rotation. And even that has nothing to do with the tire separating. It is because the tread is designed to operate in one direction.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

I have heard of that but with a 13K lb trailer I will not take the chances....if those tires have rolled that direction for the past year I want them to roll that direction from now on...we have enogh problems with our tires why take the chance....
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Not crossing (reversing the rotation of) radial tires was required in the 50's and 60's, but we have better manufacturing processes now, so crossing the tires is fine.

The only tires nowadays that you don't want to reverse are directional tires, and they'll be marked with the direction of rotation. And even that has nothing to do with the tire separating. It is because the tread is designed to operate in one direction.
I totally agree. Other than my Vettes which had directional tires it was ok to reverse direction.
Here's a recommended tire rotation chart for four tires....
First illustration is what is recommended on my Silverado...

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
I have heard of that but with a 13K lb trailer I will not take the chances....if those tires have rolled that direction for the past year I want them to roll that direction from now on...we have enogh problems with our tires why take the chance....
There's absolutely nothing wrong with not reversing them. I completely understand your reasoning.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

I believe the not changing direction of rotation on radial tires was related to manufacturing conditions. It was still true in the 70's and 80's when I was working in the tire, batteries and accessories (TBA) industry. I know a guy who has been in the tire manufacturing business for many years and he explained to me it had to with humidity levels when the tires were manufactured. The tire manufacturers now work in a humidity controlled environment and the problem doesn't exist anymore.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Hey, it's your tires and how you want them set up is your prerogative. I have found that you can pretty much do what you want with P' rated car tires but the 6 ply and up LT' tires work best when left rolling in the same direction till they are wore out.

This is really true with the larger aggressive tread tires in big 4x4 trucks.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
I believe the not changing direction of rotation on radial tires was related to manufacturing conditions. It was still true in the 70's and 80's when I was working in the tire, batteries and accessories (TBA) industry. I know a guy who has been in the tire manufacturing business for many years and he explained to me it had to with humidity levels when the tires were manufactured. The tire manufacturers now work in a humidity controlled environment and the problem doesn't exist anymore.
Except maybe Chinese off-brand tires
Old 09-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Bottom line tho' is why chance it as nothing is gained by changing the direction of rotation other than adding a possible problem?