Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Zion National Park

Has anyone been denied access to Zion pulling any one of Cedar Creek models? We tried to enter the park pulling a bumper pull TT but were told we are too long and had to turn back. Truck and trailer combined length is 57' with bike rack on back of trailer.

I'm considering the 34RL2 and while the combined length will be shorter I'm concerned the height will be an issue going through tunnels in the park.

We would like to drive through to get to Brice Canyon and Lake Powell.
luv2kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #2

are you talking about Utah hwy 9 through zion? at 57 feet long I can see why they kept you off that road. semi trucks are not allowed on that road. it is tight and there are low tunnels on it. we had to have them stop traffic in the tunnel just because we had a dual rear wheel pickup which was wider than the lane through the tunnel. and the tunnel even has a curve to it.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #3

Yes, hwy 9. So height wise you were able to get through? I don't have a dually so I'm sure I can stay within my lane. It's been 20 years since driving through and my setup was much smaller at the time. It wasn't much of a problem getting through. My current setup is just too long which is why we are upgrading to CC 34RL2 Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

The below link should hopefully provide you the information you are looking for. I have been looking at this myself for a future trip. These roads/tunnels were built long ago before our modern RV's were thought of. Worth unhooking and driving through. Good Luck!

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

all we drove through was the pickup truck, not the 5th wheel. there's no way the 5th wheel would have fit. also, just to let you know on Utah hwy 12 through red canyon on the way to Bryce there are two tunnels carved through the rocks that are marked as 13' 2" tall. they are arched tunnels so they are higher in the center than at the side. we have a tall 5th wheel. we stopped traffic in both directions and drove right down the center line (tallest portion of the tunnel). i'm sure that if we had stayed in the marked lane we would have hit on the lower sides of the tunnel. we want to go back to Bryce (and zion) as they are both incredible! one of our fondest memories is being at Bryce in august and just watching the clouds and the lightning roll past. it is gorgeous!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

We have stayed at a campground just west of park entrance and spent a few days exploring the area. Just wanted to know if it's possible to drive through park to get to Bryce Canyon with large 5er attached. The link you posted was helpful. It looks as though we will still be too long. I guess we will take an alternate route to get there. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #7

The limit is 50 ft bumper to bumper and 13' 1" tall. exceed either of those and you have a few hour detour. They have lines painted on the ground so there is no getting around it.
theczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #8

We have stayed at an RV park in Kanab and visited both Bryce and Zion from there. The only way to get into Zion with a 5th wheel is through the South entrance at Springdale. Also, both campgrounds in Zion have a 13' height limit due to tree limbs. As was mentioned earlier, the drive into Bryce also has a low clearance tunnel. We haven't tried to go through them with our 34RLSA.

2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2011 Ford F250 Superduty Powerstroke
cbari is offline   Reply With Quote