Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Commercial Member

2.2 Amp battery drain with switch off !

When I was connecting battery in prep for the season I noted a strong spark. With the battery switch Off.
Does this mean the switch is defective or that there was a mistake in the wiring?

2.2 Amp is enough to kill a battery pretty quickly. Only reason the battery lasted it's firrst few months was I have installed my own battery disconnect switch.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

Strong spark indicates current flow.
Something is drawing.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Strong spark indicates current flow.
Something is drawing.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
That's what I thought. That's why I hooked up test instrument which found 2.2Amp draw, even with the factory battery disconnect switch in off position.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

For some reason the battery is still connected to the system even tho you have the disconnect in the off position. Check the babies and ensure all go thru the disconnect. I'm going to assume the spark happened when you were connecting the Ground. It is always best to connect the positive first and then the ground any spark means something is drawing power. How about you emergency brake system?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

I'm not familiar your rig but in general all of the OEM engine, trans, and body modules will "wake up" for a few seconds to a few minutes after a power loss. If you wait about a 45 seconds it should drop down to less than one amp.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

A spark is normal on any modern vehicle today, it is the computers. What you need to do is connect the positive wire to battery, then use a jumper wire ( 12 ga will be fine) to the negative terminal and the other to the ground cable. I recommend this so that of using a meter inline for amperage draws the fuse isn't blown in the meter. Wait a good hour and then connect the meter to battery and the other end to cable, make sure the jumper is still in tac. Now after meter is connected remove the jumper and read the meter. 0.2 amps is a good number, some may be around 0.4 amps.
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Commercial Member

The battery drain is on the coach (Coachmen RV) battery not the chassis (Chevy) battery.

No computers or other OEM engine, trans, and body modules in the RV as far as I know.

Yes the spark happens when I connect the negative wire. My meter has a 10A range. I was expecting something lower than 1amp and was really surprised when I read 2.2Amp draw.

Will start by disconnecting the stuff in power distribution area near battery box as this is all large battery cable 0-Gauge wire. Will report what I find.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The battery drain is on the coach (Coachmen RV) battery not the chassis (Chevy) battery.

No computers or other OEM engine, trans, and body modules in the RV as far as I know.

Yes the spark happens when I connect the negative wire. My meter has a 10A range. I was expecting something lower than 1amp and was really surprised when I read 2.2Amp draw.

Will start by disconnecting the stuff in power distribution area near battery box as this is all large battery cable 0-Gauge wire. Will report what I find.
Start pulling fuses. Easier than disconnecting.
One fuse at a time, until the draw goes away. Then you have found the circut that has the draw !
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #9

X2 I should have mentioned that when I first posted much easier.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

Whatever the source of the draw...one of these on your negative post is a nice, cheap addition that will ensure there is ZERO drain on the battery. Good for storage too to prevent any parasitic drains. About 7 bucks at walmart/amazon etc.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

While no where near 2.2 amps the LP gas detector/CO2 detector is usually NOT hooked to the battery disconnect. For safety reasons it is hooked directly to the battery therefore a battery disconnect switch directly on the battery, as mentioned above, is a good addition. I'm voting for the brakes are on.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #12

I installed a battery disconnect switch because my batteries are in closed boxes so it is a pain to take the cable off. I first installed a disconnect switch to the positive side then read that it should be on the negative side otherwise it would still drain.

I read where the drain could come from the CO2 and smoke alarms, also some refers (Dometic i think) have a 12v heater "climate control" that sucks juice like mad. Pull fuses ...
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
When I was connecting battery in prep for the season I noted a strong spark. With the battery switch Off.
Does this mean the switch is defective or that there was a mistake in the wiring?

2.2 Amp is enough to kill a battery pretty quickly. Only reason the battery lasted it's firrst few months was I have installed my own battery disconnect switch.

My 2013 Leprechaun has two fuses wired around the switch and directly to the batteries. One is CO2 monitor and other is power steps. I just remove the 5 amp fuses when stored.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
I installed a battery disconnect switch because my batteries are in closed boxes so it is a pain to take the cable off. I first installed a disconnect switch to the positive side then read that it should be on the negative side otherwise it would still drain. ... ...
Unless there is some new kind of physics that I haven't heard of, either battery terminal DISconnected will stop the drain. Drain needs a complete path from one battery terminal to the other so with either positive or negative battery disconnected, there can be no drain.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #15
Site Team

Disconnecting either battery terminal insures no battery drain other than internal leakage. The only problem is that you have to remember to reconnect battery prior to towing or you have no break-away brakes.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Disconnecting either battery terminal insures no battery drain other than internal leakage. The only problem is that you have to remember to reconnect battery prior to towing or you have no break-away brakes.
Exactly.
BTW, There could be some very small leakage if the top of the battery is a mess. Water, dirt, and who knows what on the top of the battery between the terminals could actually conduct a small drain. Highly rare and only in extreme cases of major build-up of 'stuff' on the top of the battery, but something to think about.

Tags
battery, drain