Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Commercial Member

2.2 Amp battery drain with switch off !

When I was connecting battery in prep for the season I noted a strong spark. With the battery switch Off.
Does this mean the switch is defective or that there was a mistake in the wiring?

2.2 Amp is enough to kill a battery pretty quickly. Only reason the battery lasted it's firrst few months was I have installed my own battery disconnect switch.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

Strong spark indicates current flow.
Something is drawing.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Strong spark indicates current flow.
Something is drawing.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
That's what I thought. That's why I hooked up test instrument which found 2.2Amp draw, even with the factory battery disconnect switch in off position.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

For some reason the battery is still connected to the system even tho you have the disconnect in the off position. Check the babies and ensure all go thru the disconnect. I'm going to assume the spark happened when you were connecting the Ground. It is always best to connect the positive first and then the ground any spark means something is drawing power. How about you emergency brake system?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

I'm not familiar your rig but in general all of the OEM engine, trans, and body modules will "wake up" for a few seconds to a few minutes after a power loss. If you wait about a 45 seconds it should drop down to less than one amp.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

A spark is normal on any modern vehicle today, it is the computers. What you need to do is connect the positive wire to battery, then use a jumper wire ( 12 ga will be fine) to the negative terminal and the other to the ground cable. I recommend this so that of using a meter inline for amperage draws the fuse isn't blown in the meter. Wait a good hour and then connect the meter to battery and the other end to cable, make sure the jumper is still in tac. Now after meter is connected remove the jumper and read the meter. 0.2 amps is a good number, some may be around 0.4 amps.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Commercial Member

The battery drain is on the coach (Coachmen RV) battery not the chassis (Chevy) battery.

No computers or other OEM engine, trans, and body modules in the RV as far as I know.

Yes the spark happens when I connect the negative wire. My meter has a 10A range. I was expecting something lower than 1amp and was really surprised when I read 2.2Amp draw.

Will start by disconnecting the stuff in power distribution area near battery box as this is all large battery cable 0-Gauge wire. Will report what I find.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The battery drain is on the coach (Coachmen RV) battery not the chassis (Chevy) battery.

No computers or other OEM engine, trans, and body modules in the RV as far as I know.

Yes the spark happens when I connect the negative wire. My meter has a 10A range. I was expecting something lower than 1amp and was really surprised when I read 2.2Amp draw.

Will start by disconnecting the stuff in power distribution area near battery box as this is all large battery cable 0-Gauge wire. Will report what I find.
Start pulling fuses. Easier than disconnecting.
One fuse at a time, until the draw goes away. Then you have found the circut that has the draw !
Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #9

X2 I should have mentioned that when I first posted much easier.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

Whatever the source of the draw...one of these on your negative post is a nice, cheap addition that will ensure there is ZERO drain on the battery. Good for storage too to prevent any parasitic drains. About 7 bucks at walmart/amazon etc.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain