Old 03-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

2005 Coachmen Freelander 2600

Would you consider buying a used unit with 26,000 miles. I think I have found a nice clean, well taken care of motor home that we would plan on traveling around the USA and then wintering in the south! Comments or concerns? Things to be aware of?

Did that hurt right away or did it wait awhile!
Budro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #2

26,000 is pretty low mileage for a 10 year old unit. You might want to hire an independent RV inspector to look at all the systems and check for leaks. Find out how old the tires are too.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Former Full Timer

The pro for buying a "Clean One Owner" must be the price. If that pro exists ($15k+-), it might be worth buying. The cons list is long and includes hidden goodies. This gem can either be a find or the proverbial money pit. Lack of use can be as bad as abuse.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

I bought a 2007 with 7,800 miles on it, everything looked like it was new. I don't think it was ever driven in the rain, even the under carriage was clean.

I spent a week going over it and testing things:
Caulking on the roof needed going over, fridge hose needed replaced, the roof vent covers needed replaced, then there is the flushing and sanitizing the tanks, and so on.

We've just started using it and everything has been working fine so far. We'll be using most weekends for my wife's music gigs.

Some of the other units we looked at needed tons of work, had mold issues, rust, broken or missing items, and other questionable looking things. I went with lack of use.

Maybe Duckogram could elaborate on the viewpoint of "Lack of use can be as bad as abuse."
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
Maybe Duckogram could elaborate on the viewpoint of "Lack of use can be as bad as abuse."
No problem elaborating however the following list is conditional and not all inclusive. The reason being variables such as, but not limited to, how, when and where the coach was used. How, when and where it was stored. How the Coach was maintained.
Rubber - Tires, belts, seals, gaskets and hoses. Why? Because they deteriorate. Ten (5+) year old tires, belts and hoses can and should be replaced. That can be done for about three thousand dollars, or less if you can do it yourself. The real problem lies with internal seals and gaskets that are expensive and/or labor intensive to replace. Why? When a seal/gasket dries out the possibility of hardening or cracking increases. Additionally, the machined surface they contact can be subject to corrosion. That combination can cause premature wear and subsequent early failure of the part. So instead of a part with a normal useful life of 100k - 150k mi, it now may only last half of that. These are things that you cannot spray with protectant to maintain them.
Braking System - Corrosion is the problem here. That includes pistons and linings in the calipers and cylinders. Got ABS? You might have problems with that too. Lets not forget that cable actuated emergency brake.
General Corossion - Internal parts such as control cables, fan motors, compressors, valves, pistons, bearings, bearing races, gears, bands and switches. They all become more susceptible to exposure to the elements when not exercised on a regular basis.
The Generator - Rather than stating the obvious, I will simply ask; What are the chances this expensive piece of equipment was maintained properly?
Lubricants and Coolants - Oils, Brake Fluids and Anti-Freeze collect contaminants. Over time, the acidic buildup can eat away at the systems they were designed to be use in. The big question here; Is there documentation showing that these fluids were changed in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines?

So the bottom line is you may be taking a big chance. As long as you know that and pre purchase consideration is given to the uncertainty of it all, you would probably be OK.

I do not think I need to elaborate on what the effects of abuse are.

I hope this helps the OP with the choice.

Note: In 2010 I bought a 2003 Jayco from an estate. The unit had not been used since 2005. The above reflects some of my experiences.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

Excellent points, Duckogram! We learned the hard way when we stored our first MH in my in-laws yard while we were on a 3-year tour to Germany. Father-in-law started it and let it run, but didn't actually drive it or run anything else but the engine! One costly repair alone was replacing the carburetor in the generator that had become gummed up due to lack of use.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budro35 View Post
Would you consider buying a used unit with 26,000 miles. I think I have found a nice clean, well taken care of motor home that we would plan on traveling around the USA and then wintering in the south! Comments or concerns? Things to be aware of?
Well after the fantastic comments and thinking about this a bit harder we have decided to hold on for now! Thanks for all of the comments and concerns!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
Roger and Paula

FWIW, picked up a 2004 with 19,000 miles on it. Had minor issues ( couple of the kick-downs didn't work and the AC in the cab unit needs a vacuum line replaced), but took it on a 2700 mile trip, not a single problem. Since have replaced the two kick-downs, and the AC vacuum is on the list (about an hour's work). Paid $16K for it, no regrets.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

Just an update on our unit, from March to the end of May we have camped around 30 days from New York to Georgia, about 5,000 miles. No troubles, not a drip, leak, or other problem.

Like new but a lot cheaper. We're diggin' it.

Here was our last spot we camped at in Tugaloo State Park, GA...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	78897  

Tags
coachmen