Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
2012 Coachmen Mirada 34 BH

Hello, I am new to this site. I am currently looking at a 2012 Coachmen Mirada 34BH. It has 6600 miles with a V10. Can you give me any feedback good or bad about this coach. Is the V10 adequate for this size motorhome and also tow a vehicle? Any information you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

prairiegopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
I own a 2001 Mirada. A lot has changed in 11 years.

As for the Ford F53 chassis, from the postings I see on another board, it looks like a good chassis. Your V10 has 362 hp, mine has 310 hp. You shouldn't have any problems with the engine or weight. Remember, its a truck, not a car. :-)

The one thing that seems to crop up on the newer F53 chassis is the rear torsion bar (sway bar) bushings, mounts, and bolts.

There are reports of the bolts falling out; climb under there and check this.

ALSO - for better handling, there is a small modification to the sway bars that can be done that vastly improves the handling, its called the "Cheap Handling Fix" (CHF for short). Basically all you need to do is change position of the drag links on the torsion bars. The links are bolted to the front holes on the torsion bars from the factory. The fix is to move the links to the rear set of holes on the torsion bars.

There is also reports of goofy transmission shift scheduling. i.e. downshifting two gears at a bad time, etc. It appears that the "5 Star tune" can correct this by reprogramming tranny shifting point. (This doesn't effect my 2001)

As for the interior - yours would be vastly different than mine. Mine is a "lower end of the middle" as far as quality and features.

One thing to look at as far as the coach would be the Frig access panel on the outside to make sure it has a water lip on the bottom of the frame (DO THIS REGARDLESS OF ANY MH YOU BUY) .

Read this article and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about:

Fixing Frig exterior access panel door leaks | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Repairing water damage caused by frig door:

Repairing Delamination and water damage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2001 Civic
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
We love ours.

All around good ride

2015 Coachmen Mirada 35bh

Global Wedding Photographer
chrismbrock2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
We have a 2010 34 BH and love it. We tow a Jeep Wrangler. The only modification we have done is to add the 5 Star Tune to improve transmission management - and, I would suggest you plan to do that.

In terms of power, we do not race up or down the steep hills in the western states. But, we get to our destinations just fine with our Jeep right behind us.

Now, specific to the V10 with the 5 speed with Tow/Haul: the engine has been a real dream to run and inexpensive to maintain. We had a 2005 Dodge Dually diesel for a 5th wheel for over 100,000 miles. It was fun and made great power but it was not as easy to drive and maintain nor as inexpensive to service as the Ford V10. The tow/haul feature provides downshifts based on braking so you do not have to manually downshift.

We plan on 7 miles per gallon. It may be higher and a little lower based speed, traffic and grades.

If we were looking to get another class A, we would get another Ford V10. It's a great power plant for the 34 BH.
AlamoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Originally Posted by prairiegopher View Post
Hello, I am new to this site. I am currently looking at a 2012 Coachmen Mirada 34BH. It has 6600 miles with a V10. Can you give me any feedback good or bad about this coach. Is the V10 adequate for this size motorhome and also tow a vehicle? Any information you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I have a 2012 35ds. You should check the tires and also know that the F53 probably won't be a 2012 model. Check the A/C cooling, mine runs luke warm. Leak, I don't know yet. The drawer slides are weak, after you get it beaf up the ones under the eat in booths. I hope you get an Onan genny, I got the Guradian; Onan is better I think. Check for a new oil/filter change. The wiper blades are weak, make sure they latch properly. check the TPO roof, get them to reseal includeing caulk. Check all running lights mine needed bulbs. Speaking about bulbs, I changed mine to LED, this reduced wattage draw. Check batteries, hopefully you can get new ones. Have them run a code history, mine throws a knock sensor code. Check the hot water heater, make them change the anodes and possible change the entire unit to a gas/electric one. Check the toilets for proper seals, mine leaked behind the middle toilet flush valves. Check floors for soft spots. Check seals around the slides and check caulk around the outside unit. Check the water pump for noise, this should not be to noisy. Check the bottom sway bar for tightness, mine was loose. That's all I can think of for now, mine also had about 7,000 miles also. Have fun and learn how to winterize yourself its not hard.
The V10 is good, I'm going on an 8 month trip soon. Expect the noise level to be high at high rpm where the v10 gets its horse power. Changing the oil is easy, buy an oil pump to refill though. I hear pulling a toad is no problem, just stay within the max pulling weigth.
Have fun, the coachman is a great base level unit, it does not have the flash that Tiffon has but its a good unit. I hope my resale is good enough in a few years. Take care and safe travels.
sheltonbh1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
I sorry for the late post on this. I'm sure you made up your mind on the coach by now.
I have a 2011 34BH.
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Texas and back (San Diego).
The only problem I have had with the unit is the generator.
It does not like to start. It runs fine once it does. I will power one AC unit so you can cool the back as you drive. The dash light to let you know it is running only works when your driving lights are on so during the day it does not give proper feed back.
I plugged a 120v night light into the outlet by the passenger seat and watch that to let me know when the genny is running and when it is not, works like a charm.
I replaced the shocks and had an anti-sway bar put on the unit to help with the side to side rock and it worked out ok.

The power from the Ford v10 is great and I had no problem setting the cruse at 65/70 on the flat stretches.
Once I would get to a steep incline I would take off the cruse because it got confused when the coach would start slowing down and it could not keep up with the selected speed. for the most part I could keep up with the tractor trailers going up the big hills.

Other than those things I have had the unit for 2 years and really enjoy it.

11 Mirada 34BH
We travel with two loaded GSD!

San Diego, CA
calebgold is offline   Reply With Quote

2012, coachmen