Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

2013 Coachmen Encounter

We are looking at a new 2013 Coachmen Encounter, class "A". I have not been able to determine if the encounter has heated gray and black water holding tanks for use in cold weather. Does anyone have an answer?
oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

Features - Encounter - Coachmen RV

2013 Coachmen Encounter Series M-37 FW Ford V10 Prices, Values & Specs, 2013 Coachmen Encounter Series M-37 FW Ford V10 Equipment Options | NADAguides, RV Values & Prices

Two lists I did not see the option, but I may have over looked it.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot View Post
We are looking at a new 2013 Coachmen Encounter, class "A". I have not been able to determine if the encounter has heated gray and black water holding tanks for use in cold weather. Does anyone have an answer?
To the best of my knowledge, no, they do not offer that option on the Encounter. I'm not sure Forest River offers heated tanks on any of the Coachmen models including their high end diesel lineup, but I'm not certain.

Several of us on the board here, have Encounters. None have heated tanks that I know of.

If you do go with the Encounter, you'll find a wealth of information and experience with that model here on this board.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
OldPilot,
There is a source of 3rd partly suppliers you can have retrofitted to your tanks. They have been around for quite a while and have high ratings. One of your tanks willDC require that the genset be dropped for install. One suggestion, if you were to go for tank heater install, get the combo AC/DC units.
OldPilot, Navy or Air Force?

1N
Old 11-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
To the best of my knowledge, no, they do not offer that option on the Encounter. I'm not sure Forest River offers heated tanks on any of the Coachmen models including their high end diesel lineup, but I'm not certain. Several of us on the board here, have Encounters. None have heated tanks that I know of. If you do go with the Encounter, you'll find a wealth of information and experience with that model here on this board. Gary
thanks much for the info. Are you satisfied with the Encounter. We both just retired and this will be our first RV. Any info will be helpful.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
thanks much for the info. Are you satisfied with the Encounter. We both just retired and this will be our first RV. Any info will be helpful.
OldPilot,
Despite some pitfalls along the way, I am very satisfied with the Encounter 37TZ. All RVs have issues, the important thing is the support from the manufacturer. In that respect I can say they support you. This is my second RV. We shopped quite a bit, it went down to a Thor and the Encounter. They could have been twins. The Thor did have heated tanks. Why Encounter? It came down to interior quality and attention to detail. The Thor looked chintzy and did not feel right on the interior. This is my second gasser I did not go DP because I did not want the extra up front costs and the back end maintenance costs. Purely a personal decision. I will most likely have the AC/DC tank heaters installed.

1n
Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

Once again let me thank you for the info. We also looked at the Thor Hurricane but just didn't feel comfortable with it. We have gotten prices on the 37TZ, the 36BH and the 34TA from dealerships in Ohio and Texas. By chance I found a local dealer in Maryland (still 3 hours away) that has a new 2013 34TA at a great price. We are going to check that one out tomorrow. It has the chalet interior upgrade.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Once again let me thank you for the info. We also looked at the Thor Hurricane but just didn't feel comfortable with it. We have gotten prices on the 37TZ, the 36BH and the 34TA from dealerships in Ohio and Texas. By chance I found a local dealer in Maryland (still 3 hours away) that has a new 2013 34TA at a great price. We are going to check that one out tomorrow. It has the chalet interior upgrade.
Our 'starter' RV was a Hurricane 35. Had it for 10 years. TheThor I was referring to was the Challenger 37KT. Take a look at it, it is almost a twin. You will notice it has a prep for a washer/dryer. I could do that on the Encounter in the same place. This also personal preference thing. The loads are small and @ 117 volts, quite a long drying time. Surveying users, just about 60% say they like it a lot and the rest do not like it because of the small loads and long drying. We're still on the fence.

1n
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #9

Should have paid more attention to the post. We are based 17 miles south of Annapolis in southern AA county.