Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #21

satellite

go6car,
I bought a que cube automatic portable satellite dish 5 years back and have been very happy with it. It will take two receivers but they both have to be watching a channel that is on the same satellite. It will automatically switch satellites. I have dishnet. I will be switching, soon, to the roof mounted autodish that tracks all satellites at the same time (1400 @CW). The current portables are around 500-600.

It's a fair chunk of change. With a coach mounted unit you need to set up camp where you have a clear view of the southern sky. With the portable you can set it up to get around blockages as they come with a 50 ft cable.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #22

That's exactly the dilemma I'm faced with. Do I want a stationary or portable unit. Let alone do I even want one at this point. Thanks for all the feedback as I continue to ponder this one!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #23

sattelite or not

Our thought on it was..well since we have sattelite at home, why not when we are in the RV? We'll just use one of the home receivers. We chose the portable because when you park at campgrounds you can not always get an unobstructed southerly view. With the long cable on the portable we could overcome the blockages. I went the route with a portable antenna bought a signal meter to aim the dish. It was a real pain in the posterior getting skew and angle just right....the portable was automatic 5-10 minutes and you are watching.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #24

reflective insulation

All,
Was browsing other sites and found a thread that a MH owner used some pliable insulated reflective coating for cold weather (20's) camping with very good results. Got me to thinking I could emulate that. They used Reflectix. Costs around $1.54 a linear foot (48in X 100rt roll). I found a comparison site for other types at;
Comparing Prodex to Reflectix, Tekfoil, Eco foil, Tempshield, etc

It is $1.35 a linear foot (48in X 175ft roll) but has a higher R factor. I am still researching and comparing.

Just athought.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
All,
Was browsing other sites and found a thread that a MH owner used some pliable insulated reflective coating for cold weather (20's) camping with very good results. Got me to thinking I could emulate that. They used Reflectix. Costs around $1.54 a linear foot (48in X 100rt roll). I found a comparison site for other types at;

It is $1.35 a linear foot (48in X 175ft roll) but has a higher R factor. I am still researching and comparing.

Just athought.

Thanks for the heads-up on this!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #26

Quote:
All,

Just athought.
Are you thinking this would be good to cover the water tanks? Would probably have to cover the outside of the wet bay as well, but even with insulation, you have to find a way to heat them. Otherwise they will still freeze albeit it will take longer.

If you were determined to make the coach four season capable, you could also cover the windows when parked and only uncover what you needed to have some daylight. Would have to think about how to fasten it up, inside I guess.

Any idea how heavy the material is? The Hush mat I installed to reduce engine noise was thin but extremely heavy for its size. Density I suppose is the reason.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #27

Prodex/Reflectix

The person that posted was using it to stop heat loss through their windshield and windows during 20 degree weather. They used velcro tabs to mount it and where they could strip magnets. That was mostly for their roof vents (magnets). It would not be good for insulating tanks. The material is very light. It mostly consists of bubble insulation sandwiched between two layers of reflective foil (similar to that found in solar survival blankets. The R-Factor is from the bubble sheets and the heat/cold reflection is the rippled foil. They had a class C and tested it in 17-20 degree weather here in MD. They claimed it was easy to maintain the temp around 70-71 using two electric space heaters with a little (but not too much) assitance from the rig's propane heater. I will try and find the thread and provide a link but I was doing aimless surfing through the Forest River threads.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #28

Insulation

Hah! Found it.

FORUMS
Forest River Tech Talk
Modifications and Updates
RV Insulation mods winter/summer DYI
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #29

Quote:
The person that posted was using it to stop heat loss through their windshield and windows during 20 degree weather. They used velcro tabs to mount it and where they could strip magnets. That was mostly for their roof vents (magnets). It would not be good for insulating tanks. The material is very light. It mostly consists of bubble insulation sandwiched between two layers of reflective foil (similar to that found in solar survival blankets. The R-Factor is from the bubble sheets and the heat/cold reflection is the rippled foil. They had a class C and tested it in 17-20 degree weather here in MD. They claimed it was easy to maintain the temp around 70-71 using two electric space heaters with a little (but not too much) assitance from the rig's propane heater. I will try and find the thread and provide a link but I was doing aimless surfing through the Forest River threads.
I have some of that stuff. At least something like you described. Can't remember what I bought it for but most of the roll is on a shelf in the garage. You're right, hustmat is entirely different.

I would like to make my Encounter winter capable but from what I can find and have read, it's an expensive job and would require a lot of work. That may be something that I either give up or look for if I ever trade.

We hope so spend some time on the road; more than vacation time. A month or two at a time but we never planned to give up our stick house which we love. So the stick home can be the winter home and the coach we will use for spring, summer, or fall.

Starting the countdown: 4 months 3 weeks until retirement.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #30

Winter Camping

Roll,
Enjoy your retirement. I will most likely retire for the 3rd time September or December. 1st retirement 23 years military, second retirement Contractor (govt work) 17 years, 3rd retirement Fed Gov't 9 years....soon. Goin to Snowflake Arizona as a base building a steel frame house with blown foam insulation solar slab heating and solar shell electric supplemental energy. I plan on traveling 6-8 months out of the year.
Installing dual voltage heat blankets on the grey and black water tanks won;t be too bad. Found water hose with built in heat coils. As you mentioned water tank would be expensive because of dropping genset to install heat blanket.....but how about a temperature controlled heating element sort of like in the water heater except lower temperature? AC and DC elements exist.