Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #101

Got my second dimmer today. Have a couple of brick and morter spring projects to do then on to the last of the LED project (wedge based). I will post a video of the dimmer results.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #102

Fellow LED retrofitters,

I have completed converting all of my Coach halogen lites to LEDs and lovin' the power I am NOT burning. I will be testing the two dimmers I received and will submit a video of dimming results soon. I am posting pictures of the desk lite retro. It is really easy and bright, perfect for late night desk whatevering (is that really a word?)

The first is a picture of the LED side of the flat plate with the two option connectors (bayonet base and wedge base) Plug in the one you need into the flat plate. 2 is the mounting tape side of the mounting plate with my wedge adapter plugged in, 3 is the flat plate mounted NOTE: plug the adapter in FIRST, then mount your LED by removing the tape protector and firmly press the plate onto your light fixture, 4 is the result, believe me it is bright white. The bathroom and dining light units are in and work great (wedge based) If anyone wants pictures just ask and I will post.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #103

One-N

There is something about the way you are posting your pictures that causes them to line up end to end. (At least on my monitor.)

They appear as one very long picture and causes the post box to extend out way past the ability of my monitor to display without scrolling far to the right. (And I'm using a wide screen 26 inch monitor).

Are you using insert and downloading each pic on it's own download line?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #104

Roll,
Interesting. I am just using the insert picture icon from the quick reply box. Maybe I should put a separater line between each picture. Brought up my post on my laptop and Samsung tablet and they appear one under the other . Can't bring up the 'normal computer as I am rebuilding it with a 8 core AMD 3.7GHz CPU.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #105

You might try going advanced and using the paperclip to attach a pic.

That usually stacks the pictures, but I'm no wiz at this. Others will likley know more about it.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #106

All interested,
Took the plunge and bought the 5Star Tune unit with the 87, tow-haul tune package, I will probably buy a second tune once I get the feel of this tune. Moving on to LED refits...decided to tackle the basement lights, they are micro wedge. Starting test of led dimmer soon (mood lighting) I think I will be able to dim to 80 %. Since we will most likely be doing furloughs a day each week for 17 weeks I am going to take a day of leave each week and have a bunch of 4 day camping trips. Had to shelve the 5 week trip for the short term...might reconsider it though...soon.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
All interested,
Took the plunge and bought the 5Star Tune unit with the 87, tow-haul tune package, I will probably buy a second tune once I get the feel of this tune. Moving on to LED refits...decided to tackle the basement lights, they are micro wedge. Starting test of led dimmer soon (mood lighting) I think I will be able to dim to 80 %. Since we will most likely be doing furloughs a day each week for 17 weeks I am going to take a day of leave each week and have a bunch of 4 day camping trips. Had to shelve the 5 week trip for the short term...might reconsider it though...soon.

That 5Star tune looks interesting! (I learn something new every day on here!).
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #108

I did the tune as well but went with Brazels. We live in central Ohio which is flat so I'm not yet certain just how much change I will see when in the mountians but what I do see is that the shifts are faster and crisper then the original tune. I like so far, can't wait to see what it's like in really hilly country.

Roll
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #109

tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I did the tune as well but went with Brazels. We live in central Ohio which is flat so I'm not yet certain just how much change I will see when in the mountians but what I do see is that the shifts are faster and crisper then the original tune. I like so far, can't wait to see what it's like in really hilly country.

Roll
Roll,
Brazels wanted 895.00, 5star was 400 and from iRV2 blogs they rated both well. I took the economy route here. Next thurs am going to Lynchburg Va for a week of camping. 218 miles from me through the hills of Virginia. Will be paying particular attention to shift patterns. I started with the 87 octane tow/haul tune.. will post thoughts after trip.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #110

Correct on the pricing and it is definitely a consideration. Don't know if the extra bucks was worth it but Brazels will negotiate I found. And, their service has been very good; (so is 5 Star Service I hear).

Roll
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #111

Quote:
All interested,
Moving on to LED refits...decided to tackle the basement lights, they are micro wedge. Starting test of led dimmer soon (mood lighting) I think I will be able to dim to 80 %.
Was wondering if you have tried your dimmer project yet? Being new owners we are still finding stuff we would like to change - like the super bright lights! That and the position of some of the switches, but that is another story. We are doing the halogen for the power savings. We have a full solar home so power savings is a big deal for us.

Well, here's hoping you had a chance to try your project and have some pearls of wisdom. TIA
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #112

LED Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlekuin View Post
Was wondering if you have tried your dimmer project yet? Being new owners we are still finding stuff we would like to change - like the super bright lights! That and the position of some of the switches, but that is another story. We are doing the halogen for the power savings. We have a full solar home so power savings is a big deal for us.

Well, here's hoping you had a chance to try your project and have some pearls of wisdom. TIA
I will be testing the dimmer this week while camping. You should replace your halogen bulbs with LEDs. That is what I did, they use about 1/8 th the power and generate way less heat. I chose M4 products LEDs. They use aluminum substrate which gives better heat dissepation as opposed to others that use bakelite. There is no polarity and they function from 10 to 30 volts. They use 5050 LED series instead of 3528 series (better quality led) and their LEDs are dimable (not all are). It takes a dimmer made for LEDs, I chose one that is manual control and one that is manual or remote controlled (I don't have to get up to dim/brighten or turn
on/off) kinda like that concept.
M4 Products once at their site choose 'retrofit LEDs.'
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #113

Thanks for the advice. I think that is the hubby's next project. Look forward to hearing how the testing goes.

Lori
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #114

Quote:
Hello,
I have a '13 Encounter 37TZ and am looking forward to comparing notes with other owners. Picked it up at the Hershey show and took delivery the end of September. Dud a minor shakedown the end of October. Identified some minor issues for the dealer to address. Got it to them in December. They have had it for two months (they shut down for 2 wks Christmas) should be getting it back in a week. They are slow but not cocerned since it is winter. Roll, you know me as mlvideo...I will post differences shortly.
I bought a 37TZ un Jan of this year. So far I would say it was a big mistake. Cheaply made in my opinion. Cabinet doors falling off in the cockpit area because they have used the wrong type of hinge for a solid wood door. A lot of wind noise when driving. Slide out issues on 2 of the 3 slides. I have had a on going list of 50-60 issues, many of which I resolved myself. Handling issues some of which are a little better with a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and a Blue OX track bar. Really too many to list here.
mortdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Hi Reubenray -

The TV in our living area is a Toshiba. We have a standard, regular DVD player that came with it (Panasonic). Even though I have a 2013 Encounter, the coach was actually made last January, so it's about as early as you can get for a 2013 model.

I found this newer 2013 with a Samsung 3D Blue Ray player (I can't seem to make out the brand of TV in the main living area). Scroll through the generic brochure pictures to get to the actual ones of this particular coach. There's a Magnavox TV in the bedroom, with what looks to be a standard DVD player... Boat N RV Superstore | Rockwood Ridgeland Hamburg West Coxsackie cars | cars Rockwood Ridgeland Hamburg West Coxsackie

Hope this helps!
Not to get off topic here ... still looking for things in this forum, but, the comment on mid-year changes is interesting, I will call Coachmen ... I have the Toshiba over the fireplace (36bh) ... trying to get my new Winegard attached. Have the sat plugged into the basement plug but, 1) can not find the splitter so I can attach the receiver; 2) can not get the Toshiba out of the nook in the wall over the fireplace to see it it is behind there (and replace it with a real TV while I am at it and get the BlueRay hooked up - not sure what all the wires in the back of the DVD player are doing - must be the surround?. Anyone know the where is and how to do for these? Much thanks ...
Tanker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #116

Wipers? Did you find a fix to the windshield washer spray patter problem? Dealer has no solution yet, still waiting on a fix - on my 36BH - the spray nozzle is under the wiper and is not able to spray "over" the wiper - therefore, all the liquid goes down and we can not "wipe" the window in front of our eyes very well. Please say to found a fix. Thanks,
Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #117

Howling

Anyone here having issues with howling from the windscreen area? Have installed diverters over the weep holes for the windows, but, I still howl at 45 mph and 70 mph -- howling speed (yes, it has a name) changes with a cross wind, head wind, ... but it won't go away - already had the windscreen reset but ... ideas?

Thanks,

2013 36BH ... my Football Home ...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker64 View Post
Anyone here having issues with howling from the windscreen area? Have installed diverters over the weep holes for the windows, but, I still howl at 45 mph and 70 mph -- howling speed (yes, it has a name) changes with a cross wind, head wind, ... but it won't go away - already had the windscreen reset but ... ideas?

Thanks,

2013 36BH ... my Football Home ...
If you find an answer let me know, I have not found one yet.
RVI Braking system
Demco tow hitch package
mortdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #119

@mortdd ... will post here if I do - and will keep hoping someone has found a way to quite this down.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #120

Mortdd - So sorry to hear you're having so many issues!

Tanker64 - For a splitter (as odd as it sounds), ours was located in the long cabinet above the driver/passenger seats over the windsheild. There was an area in the middle that looked like raised molding, but was actually an access door, and we found ours in there.

(I am not having any type of howling noise, so sorry I can't be of more help there. Are you sure it's not coming from the mirrors? I remember reading a while ago about someone that had something similar on another forum and it turned out to be the wind coming through the top part of his mirror, which was loose. Just a thought.).
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote