Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

2015 Coachmen Pursuit 27 KBP Battery Disconnect

The 2015 Coachmen Pursuit 27 KBP is my first RV, that I just purchased. It looks like the battery's are not charging. The owner's manual talks about a Battery Disconnect switch, but I can not find it. Does anyone know where I is.
Thanks Jim
wintersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

does your lights and fans work? then your disconnect switch is not 'off'...

when you say 'not charging'... what do you mean? When plugged into shore power, or when driving?

How do you 'know' they are not charging?

these answers will help us help you...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Thanks for getting back me

1. When I enter the RV and turn the power switch by the door on, the light do not power on.
2. If I turn the RV engine on, the light come on, through out RV
a. No power on the Microware.
b. No power on the TVs.
c. No 120v power in any of the 120 electrical outlets.
d. No fan.
3. I turn off the RV engine after about 10 mins
a. The status panel show the battery is fully charged
b. With in ten minutes the status panel show the battery is empty, and the lights start going out. The stairs at the door no longer work
4. When I start the generator
a. All the lights come on
b. The Microware has power.
c. The TVs have power.
d. the 120 electrical outlets have power
e. the fan has power.
f. The status panel show the battery is fully charged
5. After 10 mins I turned off the generator
a. All the lights stay on, but the Microware, TV, 120 electrical outlets and the fan are off,
b. The status panel show the battery, go from 4 LED lights to 3 right away.
c. then within 3 minutes status panel show the battery, go from 3 LED lights to 2.
Then no power
wintersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #4

you have several 'power' sources in your RV:

12v battery power, for general lights, fans, water pump, etc.

Shore Power(thru your main electrical panel breaker box), when you are plugged into 120v power, for microwave, air conditioners, etc.
Your GENERATOR also does the same thing.

and even your Engine, via the alternator, while provide 'pass thru' power to your battery charger and 12v items in the RV

so, when you enter the coach and hit the 'switch', and I'm assuming you mean the 12v disconnect 'Use/Store' switch(sometimes referred as the 'salesman's' switch), you are allowing your 12v battery bank to power the 12v items, such as lights and fans.

if these items are not working, or for long, then your batteries are too low.
When you crank and run your vehicle, the engine's alternator will soon start to provide 12v charging to the batteries, thereby giving you back your 12v power to lights and fans.
At the same time, it is charging the battery bank, though it will take a very long time to charge them back to 'fully charged' status, where they will work the 12v items on their own, as they should.

When you use the generator, or shore power, it is providing battery charging to your battery bank via either your Converter, or your Inverter/Charger... but both do the same - charge the batteries, at the same time it gives you all your 12v items, AND gives you power to your large draw items, like air conditioning and TVs and microwave, etc.
Let the generator run for an hour and then see how your battery bank holds up - it will take some time to get them 'back' to fully charged.

Remember, too, that while you have engine or generator or shore power, your battery charger will be charging the battery bank, and it may initially 'show' that they are full charged, but it's really a false reading - at least 'while' it is charging. The best time to really check to actual status of your batteries is while they are NOT charging, and while very little, if anything, is being powered. If you see 12.8, then you are good to go. If you see much less, such as 11.5 to 12.5, then you are not yet seeing full charged batteries. You may not have a 'numbered' readout of your status, but if you are seeing '4' lights, then you are basically fully charged.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #5

i do not know where your disconnect switch is or if you even have one.

it sounds like you have discharged batteries. the 12 volt stuff (lights, fans) work from either the engine alternator or the generator (via the converter). but you say when you stop these power sources the battery condition lights take about 10 minutes to fully turn off. since there is no other power source at this time i believe the battery condition lights must be powered by the battery until they just get too low and completed turn off. this makes me believe that either you do not have a disconnect switch or it is set to keep the batteries connected.

the top light does not mean fully charged. it means that a charging voltage is present. whenever you attempting to charge the batteries the top light will be on regardless of the condition of the batteries.

there's no way you will recharge the batteries with 10 minutes of a recharge voltage. plug into shore power and let it recharge the batteries for 48 hours or so. or pull the batteries and put them on an auto charger for 48 hours or so. then let them sit for a couple of days and take them to an auto parts store to have them tested to see if they are still viable.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #6

i forgot to mention but in situations like this it would really help if you could take a multimeter and share the actual battery voltage levels. take a reading with no external power source (generator, engine alternator) connected and then another one with them running. this would allow people to confirm whether the batteries are discharged and if they are getting a recharge voltage.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, coachmen