Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #1

Cool 2015 Prism 2150 LE Tank Heaters

Simple question: Do I have 'em (grey and black holding tank heaters) or not?

Prism customer service says yes and the brochure/spec sheet says yes too.

However I have my doubts:
The 'control panel' has a switch position labled "Tank Heater", but there is no switch there, only a blank filler tab in place of the switch.

I crawled under the chassis to inspect the tanks and see nothing that looks like a heater, only small wires that are likely connected to the level sensors.
Are the heaters hidden somewhere else?

Do I have 'em or not?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Former Full Timer

Not so simple answer. First of all, Coachmen advertises on their website that all of the Prism models have "Heated holding tanks". Then, just like the brochure, there is a disclaimer that basically reads that everything they say is subject to change. When you order a unit, you never know what you will get.
So back to the answer. Heated holding tanks does not mean the you have electric heating pads on your unit. They may be available with a package or not. They may even be a dealer installed item. Who knows. However, the lack of electric pads does not mean that you do not have heated holding tanks. They may be heated by your furnace via a duct. i.e. forced air heat. That is what I have now. If you looked under the chassis did you see the actual tanks or was it the bottom of the compartment they are in. If they are not in a compartment that can be heated by the furnace and there are no heating pads, they cannot be heated.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

Ducky - we've been debating this in out house. Do we have heated holding tanks? I see a black thin covering on one of the tanks but no switches or anything. You are saying your unit came with heated tanks or you did something after market?
Old 04-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Former Full Timer

jjd,
Your unit has, and I quote from Coachmen, a "Heated holding tank compartment". That takes care of the black & gray which reside under the deck. Your FW tank is above the deck in the rear under the wardrobe. That area is open to the furnace and water heater where it gets heated anyway. Basically, the entire ODS side above the floor is a utility, cable and heat duct chase. The OP has a MB sprinter which is layed out differently but the principal is the same.

BTW, if that black thin cover you are referring to is on the right side of the black tank as you are looking at it in the compartment, it is just an electrical insulator to protect the sensors.
Elbert Hubbard
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #5

Ah yes. That's what it must be - protection for the sensors. So.. the compartment is allegedly heated, but not with pads or any kind of manual control. So it automatically comes on?

Anyway, thanks for the info as always.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #6

Cool

Well, it looks like my holding tanks do NOT have any heating at all

Under my chassis I'm certain I'm looking at the bottom of the actual (black) plastic holding tanks hanging 'mid-air' from the chassis frame with no compartments or insulation at all. Also, I can clearly see thin wires (undressed and unsecured) (AWG #20?) attached to each tank's level sensors.

The Coachmen brochure indicates heated holding tanks are standard in one list, and yet in another list, an option.

And yes Ducky - you're correct. The brochure's fine print states "Due to continuous improvement, Standards and options subject to change without notice".

Now, I'll have to see if any wiring for tank heaters is in place so I can add after market heaters on my own.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Former Full Timer

Dennise,
That is an unfortunate discovery and I fail to see the logic Coachmen is using. You might want to contact Coachmen directly and see if something is missing.
Elbert Hubbard
Old 04-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #8

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Dennise,
That is an unfortunate discovery and I fail to see the logic Coachmen is using. You might want to contact Coachmen directly and see if something is missing.
I did. They seemed surprised as well, but confirmed I have no heaters because my model wasn't ordered with the "Camp 'n Cozy" option.

Go figure
Old 04-11-2015, 02:27 AM   #9
TARVIDSON

LE 2150 tank heat

When I purchased my LE2150 in May of 2014 the salesman said I could take this unit skiing. Living in Montana I figured that would make it at least a 3 season machine. Re the heated tanks or lack thereof I soon figured out that I did not have heated tanks and the drain pipes and tanks were just hanging out in the weather so I solved the problem by enclosing, insulating and putting heaters on the tanks. If you are going to be in fairly cold conditions the pump should be insulated as it is essentially back in the area with the rotocast bins as FR did not really close the area with the pump away from the back storage effectively, you can reach right in and touch the pump without removing the cover on my unit. Easy to stuff some insulation in however. The other spot to be concerned with is the outdoor shower. The best thing to do is just unscrew the head off the hose and make sure it is drained. A little water in the hose probably won't hurt anything but the hard plastic sprayer will crack(I proved it). I intend to stuff some insulation in the compartment around the handles if travelling in freezing weather for extra protection. With the insulated compartment if it is only getting below freezing at night I don't even turn on the heaters as they can drain batteries fairly quickly(8.2 amps). they turn on at 44 degrees and turn off at 64 I believe. If it gets below 20 degrees with all the insulation it only takes them a short time to heat the enclosed area enough to keep it above freezing. I run 2 batteries so furnace overnight is no problem with thermostat at 60 . I have tried it down to 15 degrees at night and the batteries made it through the night but do not intend to camp when it is any colder than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150410_172124[1].jpg
Views:	117
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	73870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150410_172217[1].jpg
Views:	119
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	73871  
Old 04-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #10

Cool

Tarvidson,

Thanks for you detailed post on this sad issue. Shame on Coachmen/FR marketing and sales for misleading customers about holding tank heaters. Their Prism 'glossy' brochure re tank heaters in my opinion is sneaky

Where we live and plan to travel, I expect only mild freezes but I still intend to install tank heaters and also add some other measures as you have done.

About your heaters. Coachmen customer service tells me all I need is the missing lighted (blue) rocker switch to turn the heaters on 'n off (located in the Prism's control panel), together with the heaters themselves. He told me the heater wiring is already in place. My 2014 coach wiring diagram shows a fused circuit (F9) in the power distribution panel for tank heaters.

Please tell me how you went about adding your heaters. Was your heater wiring actually "in place", and accessible near the holding tanks?
  • Was there an in-place wired connector near the tanks for the heaters?
  • Did you have to splice into heater wiring? Wire colors?
  • Did you have to run new wires to splice/connect to an alternate DC source?
Thanks again for the great tips! I'm sure others will find them useful.

Dennis

Tags
heater, tank