Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

2017 coachmen freelander 27qb

Going to look at the above on Saturday. I have read some past posts here, but they won't let me post to them any more.

I have a few questions:
1) For those that have the 2017, are you still happy with it?
2) Does it give you enough room without the slide? Most of the time it will be 2 adults, 1 small dog and 2 cats. But on occasion there might be adult son and wife and possibly their 2 big dogs, (if we have to evacuate again for a hurricance) A slide was one of our must haves, but...
3) He specifically stated it had a 15,000 BTU AC and heat pump... is that something special?

The unit we are going to look at is with a private owner. It has 7300 miles and 4 hrs on the generator. He wants $54,900. Basically they bought it for a family trip out west and now they are selling it to buy something else. Makes me think there is something wrong with it.

We don't care that it is an entry level, unless that is bad for resale. We are planning on using it for a year/year and a half, see the country and then sell it. Husband just turned 69 so not really sure how long we can do this.

Any help or advice you can give me is very much appreciated!!!
campfiregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
We have a 2013 Freelander 28QB on the Chev chassis. There are just the two of us and the two dogs. A smaller one and a medium size one.
We like our unit but, if we were doing it again we would be looking for a slide or two. Getting past one another between the sofa and dinette or stepping over the dog(s) laying in the walkway would be improved with the wider walk area that a slide or opposing slides would provide.
Our unit has the walk around queen bed. The walk around is better than any unit with a corner bed.
The 15k A/C is better than the 13k.
I am 68.
NADA has an RV value calculator. Just use the base calculation without any add ons as microwaves and items like that are standard. The 25k a/c is likely the only upgrade. It will give you an idea of value but, I expect it will be inflated as it is more a commercial price.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

I have a 2016 Freelander 27QB that I bought brand new at the end of the model year, fall of 2016, and paid 2K less than you're looking at. These are popular and you should have some bargaining power. My dealer is selling a brand new 2017 right now for your price. We're happy with the layout, just 2 of us, didn't want a slide out. It is a basic entry level unit, so the trim is basic, but it has everything we want plus some. Coming from tents this seems exotic! No problems so far. There's lots of old Coachmen's still running around, and like many things, can last long if you take care of it.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

sorry, should have mentioned, we have the Ford 350 chassis and the V10 engine. When I researched it looked like you could get the Chevy chassis cheaper, but many like the Ford because it has more torque (for hills or towing) vs. the Chevy.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Buy the unit yet? Do your due diligence. Here is place to get a check list.

The 15k A/C is an upgrade, it is almost a necessity if you live in the Deep South. As to whether you want slides or not that is personal. They do increase the complexity of the unit and are a potential source of maintenance and leak issues. I have a buddy that refuses to own a unit with slides, but loves to hang out in our unit when the weather is crappy... we have slides.

There are lots and lots of units out there take your time and get the one that is going to work best for you. On the one trip and now selling it, happens all the time. I was at the local dealer the other day and they had a small TT that had come back in. The guy bought it two weeks ago, used it once, brought it back and traded it on something else. .

FWIW I have a Coachmen Concord and couldn't be happier with the unit. It has been basically trouble free for the past 2 years.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #6

You can buy a 2018 in Texas brand new for $2,000.00 less, you might want to have that information with you when you go look at the used one.
I discover they're just
REGULAR DONUTS !!!!!
coffeebean43140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #7

We love our 2017 27QB. We are a young family of 5 and have made due with the narrow aisle. We are new to RVs and this has been a fantastic unit for us. The two main things we love are the 20 foot long awning and the huge basement storage space. The area under the huge awning is our living room since we have the outdoor flat screen TV with stereo speakers. More time is spent outside than in.

Another huge benefit of this unit having no slides is that leveling is not necessary for proper operation of the coach. We have camped on many un-level campsites, but our setup routine is simplified without the need to level the coach. Leveling is much more important for coaches with slides.

When we looked at Class C's with slides, we asked ourselves, is the ten to twenty square feet of added floor space worth the $10,000-$20,000 increase in price? At this point in our experience our answer is "No."

We are avid tent campers, and we initially planned on getting a pop up or small travel trailer, when we started shopping, and ended up on deciding on this class C. We are very pleased on this decision, and are happy with the Chevy chassis and Coachmen brand.
greenrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #8

Just now seeing this post but we bought our 2018 Freelander 27QB from a dealer and paid less than what your private owner is asking.
grncrdbrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen