Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #1

3011DS Forester caught fire ... buying a Mirada 32SS

So Thursday we were heading out of town and pulled into a Love's Travel Center to fill up our propane tank and the attendant bled the fill line across a hot exhaust port and turned the fill hose into a flame thrower. 12K in damages later my camping trip got canceled.

We are using the event to upgrade to a Mirada 32SS. We are headed up Thursday to sign the paperwork and I wanted to get the communities thoughts on this coach before I pull the trigger.

Any thoughts or suggestions, warnings or praises for the Mirada?

Thanks

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Sorry to hear that another one bites the dust. Glad noone was hurt.
As for the Mirada, it is made in the same plant my Pursuit was and on the same F-53 chassis. IMHO, the FW slide is too heavy for the schwintek system AND the construction of the floor of the slide is insufficient to support that weight over time. Additionally, the F-53 chassis, as modified, has poor road manners. Expect to spent at least $2k to mitigate that. I strongly suggest that you drive it in some wind and on the interstate first. I also suggest that you examine the slide meticulously. Look at how it seals. Must be even all the way around. Check the bottom of the wall to see if it bows out in the middle. On the plus side, Mirada gives you a good value for your money. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #3

Disappointed in my mirada...

So the comment above about the suspension upgrades is not a "mirada" thing its a ford f53 chassis thing. I absolutely recommend putting 2k or so into your suspension. I did an aux sway bar in the rear, rear track bar, safe t steering stabilizer and the CHF in the front. It made a huge difference I would highly recommend you doing those things regardless of what motorhome you get assuming its on the ford chassis.

Now, We have a 2018 Mirada 35kb. I am DEEPLY DEEPLY disappointed in the quality of this product.

I'll make a generic statement first, when I was buying mine I did a lot of research and found that regardless of the manufacturer the schwintek slides struggle with the full wall slide. I avoided one for this reason I have 2 slides instead of one large one. I'd considering that when buying a full wall slide mode.

The mirada iteself.. Has been extremely poorly assembled. I'd try to list everything.

1) There are 2 rods that go vertical that the slide uses on my front slide neither of these rods were bolted in like they should have been. Resulting in loud banging inside the walls. They had to cut the wall open to fix on both sides of the slide.

2) The metal antenna on the roof was completely loose and rattling loudly. I fixed it myself it took me all of 3 minutes to tighten the screw. No excuse that this wasn't done.

3) Multiple pieces of molding simply not nailed in, or one nail in the middle causing it drop or loosen. Almost all of it had to be tightened down.

4) Tile behind bathroom backs plash has fallen off.

5) Molding under my front slide was installed wrong during driving its vibration caused there to be a deep gash and hole in my floor.

6) Multiple pieces of weather striping around baggage doors and entry door loose and or not installed right needed to be completed replaced.

7) Wallpaper in bathroom has bubbled up and gotten loose.

8) Auto levelers didn't work and was loosing phenmatic fluid needed to reset it, re level it, and tighten connections.

9) Generator breaker trips every time i run it while i am driving. Front AC and everything on it goes out.

10) Clear coat on the full body paint is embarrassingly poor. If you look at it scratches. I'd highly recommend against spending the extra on the paint, i have multiple places where its over sprayed and like i said the quality of the clear coat is poor.

11) They literally didn't put any windshield washer fluid in the reservoir found this out when i really needed it of course.

12) Multiple small items missing, little wooden plugs that cover up the screws in the mirror, just left out.

13) Light above table just fell off during our first drive.

14) General fit and finish issues everywhere, example rubber molding in outside kitchen area cut to long but screwed in anyways so it bubbles and ripples.

15) Had the screws in the struts that hold up the baggage door for the outdoor kitchen just fall out...

16) Valve extenders leaking badly leaving us with a flat...On the rear tires.

17) Multiple things just not wired up at all. Example, the 7 pin trailer connector has no 12v constant wire for a battery charger in your toad, the energy commander that they just added in 2018 has a feature where if its on auto and the HVAC unit calls for air the energy command is supposed to turn on the generator for the HVAC to run.... simply not wired up... at all. No reason for this its 1 damn cable... You already bought all the other parts why skip this?

18) The cabinets are some sort of the wood, but the wood isn't actually paint its a tape.. Look at the cabinets around the ends and seams and you will notice its colored tape, thats actually everywhere and we have had it peal off already around the slide molding...

19) Floor has bubbled up in multiple areas..

20) Had leaks and wallpaper that was bubbling around the front slide windows...

21) multiple pieces of trim around the dinette seat has nails that were exposed under the back cushions that people cut themselves on.

Those are the actual issues I have.. I know there are more but I can't think of them right now. Here are some other subjective things.

1) The front captains chairs suck for longer drives. We plan on having to replace them. Its disappointing to pay 115k and have to replace the seats with as much as they suck.

2) The sofa is equally of poor quality.

3) I dont like the re-done "mach" or whatever dash.. and honestly I can't even put my finger on why. I'd like to have a different config of the dash plastic next to the drive to store stuff like toll change and whatever. It's not terrible, but something about it. I don't need it to be "nice" just need a more thoughtful configuration if that makes sense.

Overall, honestly if stuff worked and it wasn't slapped together as poorly as it was i'd be happier. The extremely poor craftsmanship and fit and finish really detracts from what i think otherwise would be a good coach. I did call Coachmen about multiple things and they had zero interest in helping. I spoke to Tim Buss who did everything he could to say whatever he could to get me off the phone, and stonewall me from speaking to his leadership which i never actually got to speak too because he refused to give me the info.

My wife and I really liked the fleetwood better, but the fleetwood was at a Camping world and the Mirada was at our previously used and known good dealer who really has been great to work with. We liked the the coachmen but the deciding factor was really the familiarity with the dealer. We also looked at the Newmar Bay Star at NIRVC and it was more than we wanted to spend. Had I had it to do over again I would of paid the extra money and bought the Newmar at NIRVC.

Hope this helps. I got wordy, but I feel better now after dumping too
manderson2228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #4

My 2018 35KB.

Sorry to hear of a poorly finished unit from another reader. Here are my thoughts...

Yes, the driver/passenger seats aren't comfortable for me. Bear in mind I'm 6'3" and about 265 LBS. My wife is 5'4" and thinks they are great.

Yes, the cabinets are "taped" to give them a finish. I got another roll of tape for any needed repairs. Matched right up with the original.

I don't like the mattress, but I'm working on that issue.

It's has more storage than we can fill and more CCC capacity than I've ever had. The slideouts drive systems work properly! The self-leveling works properly! The residential refrigerator is the BEST! Lots of walk room when the slides are open and good travel path's when they're closed. Plenty of Bathroom space.

For what I paid - I'm more than satisfied and (hopefully) will keep this coach long enough to "put some miles on it" in the future. Specific questions? Write me ---> arkie_ent@yahoo.com.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie_ENT View Post
Sorry to hear of a poorly finished unit from another reader. Here are my thoughts...

Yes, the driver/passenger seats aren't comfortable for me. Bear in mind I'm 6'3" and about 265 LBS. My wife is 5'4" and thinks they are great.

Yes, the cabinets are "taped" to give them a finish. I got another roll of tape for any needed repairs. Matched right up with the original.

I don't like the mattress, but I'm working on that issue.

It's has more storage than we can fill and more CCC capacity than I've ever had. The slideouts drive systems work properly! The self-leveling works properly! The residential refrigerator is the BEST! Lots of walk room when the slides are open and good travel path's when they're closed. Plenty of Bathroom space.

For what I paid - I'm more than satisfied and (hopefully) will keep this coach long enough to "put some miles on it" in the future. Specific questions? Write me ---> arkie_ent@yahoo.com.
I am 6 foot 4 250 and yea the seat doesn't fit at all. Oddly I feel like the passanger seat is better I think somehow the angle or the way its installed seems like the back is tilted down and the front up on the driver seat and it makes things worse. I haven't figured it out we are debating getting new seats in the springs... or lemon lawing the thing.

Wife bought one of those cool gel matress toppers and it really made a big difference we really like that. If you want specifics I can get them from my wife but it adds like 4 inches of cushion and doesn't get warm.

I will say to your point during transit we have access to use the entire thing which is nice. Ours the CCC is great too.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
So the comment above about the suspension upgrades is not a "mirada" thing its a ford f53 chassis thing. I absolutely recommend putting 2k or so into your suspension. I did an aux sway bar in the rear, rear track bar, safe t steering stabilizer and the CHF in the front. It made a huge difference I would highly recommend you doing those things regardless of what motorhome you get assuming its on the ford chassis.

Now, We have a 2018 Mirada 35kb. I am DEEPLY DEEPLY disappointed in the quality of this product.

I'll make a generic statement first, when I was buying mine I did a lot of research and found that regardless of the manufacturer the schwintek slides struggle with the full wall slide. I avoided one for this reason I have 2 slides instead of one large one. I'd considering that when buying a full wall slide mode.

The mirada iteself.. Has been extremely poorly assembled. I'd try to list everything.

1) There are 2 rods that go vertical that the slide uses on my front slide neither of these rods were bolted in like they should have been. Resulting in loud banging inside the walls. They had to cut the wall open to fix on both sides of the slide.

2) The metal antenna on the roof was completely loose and rattling loudly. I fixed it myself it took me all of 3 minutes to tighten the screw. No excuse that this wasn't done.

3) Multiple pieces of molding simply not nailed in, or one nail in the middle causing it drop or loosen. Almost all of it had to be tightened down.

4) Tile behind bathroom backs plash has fallen off.

5) Molding under my front slide was installed wrong during driving its vibration caused there to be a deep gash and hole in my floor.

6) Multiple pieces of weather striping around baggage doors and entry door loose and or not installed right needed to be completed replaced.

7) Wallpaper in bathroom has bubbled up and gotten loose.

8) Auto levelers didn't work and was loosing phenmatic fluid needed to reset it, re level it, and tighten connections.

9) Generator breaker trips every time i run it while i am driving. Front AC and everything on it goes out.

10) Clear coat on the full body paint is embarrassingly poor. If you look at it scratches. I'd highly recommend against spending the extra on the paint, i have multiple places where its over sprayed and like i said the quality of the clear coat is poor.

11) They literally didn't put any windshield washer fluid in the reservoir found this out when i really needed it of course.

12) Multiple small items missing, little wooden plugs that cover up the screws in the mirror, just left out.

13) Light above table just fell off during our first drive.

14) General fit and finish issues everywhere, example rubber molding in outside kitchen area cut to long but screwed in anyways so it bubbles and ripples.

15) Had the screws in the struts that hold up the baggage door for the outdoor kitchen just fall out...

16) Valve extenders leaking badly leaving us with a flat...On the rear tires.

17) Multiple things just not wired up at all. Example, the 7 pin trailer connector has no 12v constant wire for a battery charger in your toad, the energy commander that they just added in 2018 has a feature where if its on auto and the HVAC unit calls for air the energy command is supposed to turn on the generator for the HVAC to run.... simply not wired up... at all. No reason for this its 1 damn cable... You already bought all the other parts why skip this?

18) The cabinets are some sort of the wood, but the wood isn't actually paint its a tape.. Look at the cabinets around the ends and seams and you will notice its colored tape, thats actually everywhere and we have had it peal off already around the slide molding...

19) Floor has bubbled up in multiple areas..

20) Had leaks and wallpaper that was bubbling around the front slide windows...

21) multiple pieces of trim around the dinette seat has nails that were exposed under the back cushions that people cut themselves on.

Those are the actual issues I have.. I know there are more but I can't think of them right now. Here are some other subjective things.

1) The front captains chairs suck for longer drives. We plan on having to replace them. Its disappointing to pay 115k and have to replace the seats with as much as they suck.

2) The sofa is equally of poor quality.

3) I dont like the re-done "mach" or whatever dash.. and honestly I can't even put my finger on why. I'd like to have a different config of the dash plastic next to the drive to store stuff like toll change and whatever. It's not terrible, but something about it. I don't need it to be "nice" just need a more thoughtful configuration if that makes sense.

Overall, honestly if stuff worked and it wasn't slapped together as poorly as it was i'd be happier. The extremely poor craftsmanship and fit and finish really detracts from what i think otherwise would be a good coach. I did call Coachmen about multiple things and they had zero interest in helping. I spoke to Tim Buss who did everything he could to say whatever he could to get me off the phone, and stonewall me from speaking to his leadership which i never actually got to speak too because he refused to give me the info.

My wife and I really liked the fleetwood better, but the fleetwood was at a Camping world and the Mirada was at our previously used and known good dealer who really has been great to work with. We liked the the coachmen but the deciding factor was really the familiarity with the dealer. We also looked at the Newmar Bay Star at NIRVC and it was more than we wanted to spend. Had I had it to do over again I would of paid the extra money and bought the Newmar at NIRVC.

Hope this helps. I got wordy, but I feel better now after dumping too
We know exactly what you mean and have owned three Forest River products -- Cedar Creek, Georgetown XL, and Forester. The workmanship just isn't there. Some of the issues were downright ridiculous -- huge staple protruding from the galley counter, excessive cable affecting TV performance, backup monitor wired incorrectly; you get the idea. That is why we are currently waiting to take delivery on a Newmar.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
We know exactly what you mean and have owned three Forest River products -- Cedar Creek, Georgetown XL, and Forester. The workmanship just isn't there. Some of the issues were downright ridiculous -- huge staple protruding from the galley counter, excessive cable affecting TV performance, backup monitor wired incorrectly; you get the idea. That is why we are currently waiting to take delivery on a Newmar.
Be sure you get one that has been fixed...
" Newmar recalling nearly 3,000 motorhomes

January 9, 2018 Chuck Woodbury

Newmar is recalling 2,915 model year 2016-2018 Bay Star, Bay Star Sport, Canyon Star, Dutch Star, Essex, King Aire, London Aire, Mountain Aire, New Aire, Ventana and Ventana LE motorhomes. The vehicles may have a loose power connection at the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS), possibly resulting in a build up of heat.
The build up of heat in the wiring from the loose power connections can increase the risk of a fire."
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Be sure you get one that has been fixed...
" Newmar recalling nearly 3,000 motorhomes

January 9, 2018 Chuck Woodbury

Newmar is recalling 2,915 model year 2016-2018 Bay Star, Bay Star Sport, Canyon Star, Dutch Star, Essex, King Aire, London Aire, Mountain Aire, New Aire, Ventana and Ventana LE motorhomes. The vehicles may have a loose power connection at the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS), possibly resulting in a build up of heat.
The build up of heat in the wiring from the loose power connections can increase the risk of a fire."
My brand new Mirada had a recall too because of loose wires behind the fridge.. I'd still take my chances with the newmar.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
My brand new Mirada had a recall too because of loose wires behind the fridge.. I'd still take my chances with the newmar.
Just messin around. Everyones' quality sucks for too many customers.
I got lucky...but luck shouldn't be a part of it. I wish them well with the Newmar.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #10

Two years must have made a big difference in production of the Mirada. I have a completely different experience than maanderson2228. The only problems I have had on my 2016 Mirada 35KB are - during my PDI we found that the awning would not extend/retract. Fixed on the spot in about 10 minutes - loose wire and the first time out camping we had the front passenger side leveling jack mount break loose from the frame. It was only tack welded. Dealer fixed that.

Other than that, I have done all of the suspension upgrades except shocks, but I knew going in to the purchase that I was going to have to do them no matter what Ford F53 I bought.

I was not expecting any ultra plush furnishings and I knew what it had when I bought it. So far I am pleased overall with the coach.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #11

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 32SS.

We are currently at Pirate Land in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Only issue so far was a fault code on the inverter. Called my dealer ... Adventure Motor Homes ... they called Carolina RV here at the beach. They sent a tech right over and got it fixed.

We are just on day three on our trip ... and I am sure the we will have a few more issues that will pop up but we are liking it better that the Forester.

Alec

Prior Campers
Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Citrus County, Fl.

SharpPI, unless you are looking for something entirely different, take a look at the Dynamax Isata 4. Same floor plan as the 3011 and much much more. Has a paint job to die for and the quality, in my opinion, is much better than the Mirada.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

[QUOTE=GL1800Rider;1706961]SharpPI, unless you are looking for something entirely different, take a look at the Dynamax Isata 4. Same floor plan as the 3011 and much much more. Has a paint job to die for and the quality, in my opinion, is much better than the Mirada.

You working with Dave on a commission Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
Citrus County, Fl.

HaHa. Is Dave selling Dynamax now? That would be great if he did.

However, I did notice Bankston carries them now.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
Two years must have made a big difference in production of the Mirada. I have a completely different experience than maanderson2228. The only problems I have had on my 2016 Mirada 35KB are - during my PDI we found that the awning would not extend/retract. Fixed on the spot in about 10 minutes - loose wire and the first time out camping we had the front passenger side leveling jack mount break loose from the frame. It was only tack welded. Dealer fixed that.

AL
I'll say this too in the sake of fairness. I bought mine from a show, just happened to work out that way and I feel like after some conversations with people that they all ramp up during show season (jan - mar) and it might be related to the increase in orders and production. Mine got delivered a week earlier than expected and I was told that basically they opened another line. This may be related I dont know.

Coachmen did finally agree to replace my AC unit Friday in an attempt to fix the blowing of the generator circuit. I pray this fixes it. I need to have 1 trip at least without an issue...... We are getting close to lemon lawing this thing.

I read farther down that you bought one. Sincerely hope you have better luck than I did. Sounds like all is going well so far!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #16

How do like your new 32ss?
fredcox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #17

Coachmen Mirada

2017 35LS. We have found some very minor problems. Everything works as advertised...added suspension upgrades and they do work wonders with over the road handling. Quality control seems to be a huge problem with all RVs....the minor nits I've fixed myself... we really love our Mirada....
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcox5 View Post
How do like your new 32ss?

So far so good. We have been out twice so far. We are loving the extra space.

Prior Campers

Tags
forester