Old 06-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #21
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Come visit us on the right coast even in Taxachusetts its only $3.65/gal

Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #22
Based on what n-e-d said, having no idea where you are in California and no idea where he is in 'Taxachusetts' I used Sacramento as a starting point and Boston as the destination.

Found trip fuel cost using Gasbuddy roundtrip

Fuel - 727 gallons using your average of 7.5 mpg
Cost - $2,012.00
Miles - 6,028

In the grand scheme with an RV....pretty darn resonable

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #23
Oil companies make what the market sets, that's it! I work for big oil and I'm one of the faces that helps fuel your world. Oil is no different than lobster- markets are markets, nuff said on this before mods ban me.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
Another reason to go. Gas costs less away from CA. Nicest way to see USA. Heading from Indy to Monterey soon.
Don - Anita Rateike
5th wheel 8528RKWS
2015 Chevy 2500
2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #25
Camper Less Camping
To the are rving-comes with the game you wanyed to play, poor mpg's are the norm no matter what you tow compared to normal auto your northern neighbor says "Just Do It"!!!

Happy Camping
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #26
7 Year Class A RV'er
We had a 2006 gasser (30' Hurricane) and towed our Tacoma on an aluminum car hauler: 7.2 MPG. Without the truck and trailer: 8.0 MPG. Traded it in on a 2015 Legacy DP, dumped the car hauler and now flat tow a Jeep (same curb weight as the Tacoma). First trip was from Orlando to Gatlinburg, TN and back. Through mountains, etc., kept speed at a steady 65. Results: 10.0 MPG. Made me so happy you probably heard me cheering! MH's usually don't make financial sense when you add up everything involved, but it sure is nice to sleep in my own bed and not have to pack up everything each morning to go to another hotel!

I read once about one of the fantastically rich folks around the turn of the century who brought their yachts to winter at Jekyll Island. This particular yacht was 309' - so big it couldn't dock there and had to drop anchor in the inlet and row everything ashore. When the owner of the yacht was asked how much it cost to operate and maintain, his response was something like "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #27
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I was getting 7.5 with my Ecoboost and Fiver. I have a Diesel now and get 14. It didn't stop us at all. To sleep in my own bed every night and make my own food is worth the price of towing.
Hey B&B on (4/12/2015) you Posted that you were getting (10MPG) towing the Fiver with your Ecoboost! Are you camping with Brian Williams? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #28
As some one who has spent many years owning a shop, working with engines, dynos, tuning ECU's and designing fuel/data acquisition systems...

Fuel economy at highway speeds on relatively level ground is dictated by speed and aerodynamics. It takes 4 times the energy to increase your speed by 2 times. In town or on hilly terrain, your economy is more dictated by weight. Tire pressures will also impact either economy. (Not as much as Al Gore tells you, but some (and it will help tire life.)

While lightening your load by even 1000 lbs, you may not notice much change on the highway. In town you will, but how many miles or time is spent in town?

By far the greatest MPG impact is when you get into the 70-75+ speeds. These RV's are aerodynamic bricks and at those speed threshholds you can easily use 20% more fuel than at 65. (The above data also applies to diesels, but MPG variances aren't quite as significant in most cases.)

A trailer type RV is not nearly as bad aerodynamically as a A/B/C coach. (Depending upon the towing vehicle to some degree.) They are effectively "drafting" as in NASCAR, and can save 20% or more energy on the highway. Not much city wise though..
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #29
2000lb toad? And you list it as a 1980 toyota truck? I think you're low by 800-1000 lbs.

and MPG often increases a bit after break in as things loosen up and the computer adjusts. Not a lot - but some.

Driving slower makes a big difference in MPG - 20%. types of roads affects that to some degree - my subaru can do 30mpg on country roads (45-55mph) and 26 at 73mph on the hiway, and overall gets 24.5. Of course the ad for it pushes the 30mpg figure.

Our silverado average 15mpg in daily driving, and if we stay slow and it's not hilly we can do 11mpg towing, but keeping up with traffic in our hilly western pa area 9.5 is more what we see.

As has been stated there is a definitely a cost to lower MPG, but it's not a huge difference. In our truck vs subaru it's $20/400 miles (both on a full tank will do 430miles give or take, truck costs $20 more to fill). Wife went to baltimore md yesterday to visit her dad and took the car - saving us $30 in gas over the truck. that's almost like real money!

Now we're taking an 6 day trip in july, gonna spend about $1000 on gas pulling the camper, plus $250ish on campsites. And breakfast and 1/2 the lunches will be in the camper (vs restaurants).
If we did the hotel thing (which we considered) we'd eat out all meals and spend $300 on gas and probably $500 on hotels. All meals would be eaten out.

cost might come out as a wash, but the experience would be very different.
Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #30
Originally Posted by Stinkielee View Post
Grumpy: "Lets say you pay $3.00 per gallon."
You must not be in California. We paid $4.29/gal here. Granted we are in the "boonies". Costco is cheaper, but not worth the 45 minute drive there. No Pilot stations around for the Good Sam discount. We laugh when we hear about the National Average for gas. NOT HERE!

But you are right. That should not stop us. What the heck, you only live once, right? Go For It!
Come to Texas! May not be as scenic, but gas is $2.55 per gallon! (And diesel is $2.65!)

banda is online now   Reply With Quote