Old 06-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #31
Originally Posted by Poppy94 View Post
Oil companies make what the market sets, that's it! I work for big oil and I'm one of the faces that helps fuel your world. Oil is no different than lobster- markets are markets, nuff said on this before mods ban me.
So Poppy....

Gas has a "price" based (I thought) on material and manufacturing costs plus profit. Why doesn't that price follow the gas to the pump?

Why do we pay the current market price for gasoline that has likely been in storage for months and may have an actual price substantially more or less than current market prices?

Just curious.

Gary, Cindy, Reacher (Maine Coon), and Vivian (in spirit only now).
Retired: July 31st, 2013 and loving it.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #32
Originally Posted by Stinkielee View Post
Grumpy: "Lets say you pay $3.00 per gallon."
You must not be in California. We paid $4.29/gal here. Granted we are in the "boonies". Costco is cheaper, but not worth the 45 minute drive there. No Pilot stations around for the Good Sam discount. We laugh when we hear about the National Average for gas. NOT HERE!

But you are right. That should not stop us. What the heck, you only live once, right? Go For It! You are correct what drives the price in California so high is the tax's. What really gets me that Calf. has always been the highest, and the state has the biggest refineries in the USA. So it is certainly not the producers. Chevron, Shell and Exxon make there main homes in that State. I lived and raised my family in the Bay Area, when we retired we couldn't afford to live there anymore just because of the tax's. Travel up highway #5 it will shake your camper apart. The old saying was go west young man, now it's go east young man. Everyone is correct as soon as you get out of the state you will see gas going down even in the boonies. And for Gary's question it is because they filled there tanks at the height of the price. We have the same here with oil. I heat with oil and pay much higher then the market place only because they pre bought it at the higher end and they are not going to lose money.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #33
7 Year Class A RV'er
I would dread the thought of fueling in CA at those prices, but you do what you have to do. We live in FL and travel through the southeast mostly. In that area, FL has the absolute highest fuel prices around and it's mainly due to the tourist market (in my opinion). Most of the fuel out here comes in through Miami and gets trucked elsewhere, so why is it more expensive in Miami than the rest of the state? Makes no sense but it is what it is. What upsets me most is all the federal taxes they put on fuel and then misappropriate or mishandle the funds and our interstate highways go to pot! Just like SS, sometimes the Feds are not the best in handling our money! OK - off the soapbox; sorry for the drift! Have a nice weekend!
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #34
Dang 7.5mpg.

I get that with no toad on cruise control at 60mph.

I say you did great pulling your toad.

2015 Coachmen Mirada 35bh

Global Wedding Photographer
chrismbrock2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #35
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Gas has a "price" based (I thought) on material and manufacturing costs plus profit. Why doesn't that price follow the gas to the pump?
The price of gasoline is a market price. It has little to do with the cost to produce or profit. The price set is "whatever the market will bare" . (aside from taxes). If gasoline is selling for $4.00 per gallon that is what the retailer will list it for trying to maximize his profit. If it still sells well at $4.10 then he will raise his price to $4.10. If he paid $3.50 a gallon for it that works fine. If the market is only moving gas at $3.00 a gallon that is what he will have to sell it for. No matter what he paid for it. Or he stops selling. Same with the producers. Same with your house. I.E. You will not want to sell your home for what you paid for it. You will sell it for what you can get for it. Free enterprise. Market based pricing...
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #36
Our 32' Class A gasser (an '02 with the V-10) got a fairly consistent 7.5 mpg no matter where we were. We didn't tow.

For comparison, our older ('86) Class C with a 460 Ford got a consistent 6.0 mpg at sea level and 4.0 or so at altitude. We have a lot of altitude around here! The newer rig was a pleasant surprise. What took us out of the lifestyle eventually, was the cost of overnight stay. and the much higher price of fuel.

Originally, SPs were $15 a night and commercial CGs were maybe $25. Our last trip before we sold the rig, SPs were $28 -$35 and commercial CG's ranged as high as $75. When we had the old rig, gas was less than $2 a gallon most places. Our last trip down the Oregon coast, it ran about $4.30.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #37
Just finished a 2300 mile trip to the east coast (VA, NC, SC). Averaged 8.04 MPG. Best was 10.72, worst was 6.47.

gas was lowest cost in the SC area ($2.49) highest in Ohio ($2.79)
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2001 Civic
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #38
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
That just the price of owning an RV. Should not maybe talked to some folks first. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #39
I have an A at 38+ feet. Fairly new at now, 6980 miles on it. Towing a 3600 pound TOAD. Driving 60-63 MPH in mixed conditions averaging 6-7.5 MPG. Ford 30 valve V10, with Banks Ram air in place of stock air filter. My first MH with V10 got best mpg after 18K miles on engine. Very happy. Current trip Annapolis Md to San Diego Ca and back. Currently in Mo. Be happy, it is what it is, your 7.5 is actually darn good.
2013 Encounter 37TZ, Chalet Pkg, Escape Hybrid Toad,
Denis & Gail & Dixie the Blue Merle Sheltie
1nshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #40
Former Full Timer
Just got 8.27 towing from Bernalillo, NM to Moab, UT via US 550/191. Winds were light but mostly favorable. I attribute the 10% increase to my previous normal averages to not using the cruise control. This way I was able to use the power of the engine rather than lower gears for shallow grades. It also enabled the torque converter to lock much more frequently which put my 61 mph cruise in the 1900-2000 rpm range. Since my coach only tips the scale at 13,500# and my toad is 1410#, I am pleased with the result. Now I'm thinking that a 5 star may be the ticket... TBC

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote