Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #41

You're forgetting that you didn't burn any gas in the Toad. If it got 20 mpg, and you drove it separately, you'd use ten additional gallons. So factor that into your overall mileage.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #42

I'm going to camp whatever it costs...
but I do admit to staring at the gas mileage since they have it computing constantly right there on the speedo....
It's hypnotising.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkielee View Post
1st trip of 187 total miles, mixed terrain, towing a 2000 lb toad. We were SHOCKED. It was a 3 day stay at Pinnacles National Park. This information may put a serious crimp in our dream.
Give the engine and coach 500 miles to "brake-in" At 28,334 mi our 2008 Coachmen 2130QB on Chevy chassis delivered a TOTAL mpg of 10.8.

Now there are a lot of variables but the primary one is the driver's right foot. Your RV will not accelerate as quickly as you are use to in your car or P/U. What is the inflation of your tires vs the real measured load on the tires. Based on Load infl tables I am running with an 18 to 21% margin or excess capability.

I also use a ScanGauge to keep an eye on engine Load and try and keep it under 80%. Going up hills I watch and shut the cruse off at 98% load before it downshifts.

It takes an active driver paying attention to achieve this mpg but it isn't too hard. I also set cruse on flat roads at 60 to 62.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #44
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
I do it this way

Insert the nozzle in the tank
Set the trigger
Wait for the trigger to click and shut off
Pull the nozzle from the tank and hang it up
Cap the tank and move out

Just don't look at the pump
Dennis, I don't see a step labeled "Pay for Fuel." You can save a ton of money by leaving that one out.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #45
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
So Poppy....

Gas has a "price" based (I thought) on material and manufacturing costs plus profit. Why doesn't that price follow the gas to the pump?

Why do we pay the current market price for gasoline that has likely been in storage for months and may have an actual price substantially more or less than current market prices?

Just curious.

Gary
Gary, you're essentially paying what it's going to cost the gas company to replenish its supply. It's exactly the same as what you're doing now when you fill your tank. You have to pay to fill your tank at current prices, and the wholesaler/refiner has to pay to fill its substantially larger tanks at current prices as well.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Dennis, I don't see a step labeled "Pay for Fuel." You can save a ton of money by leaving that one out.
Now I have been busted!

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #47

Back on topic!

I didn't read all the pages, but his sig and pic shows a 22ft class C,. With that your mileage should be around the high 8's to low 9's. Maybe adjust your driving style? It takes a bit getting used to something like this, they don't drive like a car! Were you running the generator? That will kill mileage. I wouldn't sweat 7.5 mpg. Your essentially moving a house around the U.S. Along with a car. For the views we are capable of and the areas we can get to it is well worth it!
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #48

Better mileage; travel light. If you don't need fresh water while traveling, only carry enough to travel. (water is 8 lb per gallon). dump black and grey before traveling.

Lower speed, we hang around 62-65. Slower speeds going up mountains, slow down, drop a gear or two on the tranny, and fall in line with the 18 wheelers.

If you are close to the border (AZ, NV, OR) plan your fuel so you purchase fuel in those states.

We travel through Calif a lot, we always make sure the tank is full before we cross into CA. If we need to buy fuel in CA, we buy only enough to get us out of CA, then fill up when we get into the surrounding states.

We consistently average 8.2 MPG. 30Ft Mirada with a Honda Civic TOAD.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

And I thought all political bs and govt bashing was not allowed.

Moderators must be napping.
We are looking at it now. This one is going to need some cleaning up as it is severely leading off topic and into an area that has historically proven to get members dander up....which is why we NEED this guideline:

• General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Please post responsibly. We are all friends here.

The site team is going to close this thread while we clean it up.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkielee View Post
1st trip of 187 total miles, mixed terrain, towing a 2000 lb toad. We were SHOCKED. It was a 3 day stay at Pinnacles National Park. This information may put a serious crimp in our dream.

Your engine isn't broken in until around 1,000 miles. It should get better.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
mpg