Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #41

Try using a garden hose type brass fertilizer siphon with the siphon hose inserted into the bleach bottle. Should pull the bleach right into the water stream as you fill the tank.
mmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #42

RV Daily Tips Newsletter, Issue 373 April 30, 2014 has the formula for determining how much bleach to add and FULL Instructions on how to sanitize your water systems per RV Association and health department standards.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #43

I would also suggest driving over some hilly terrain to make sure the mixture is mixed and cleans the entire tank. Once that is done turn on each tap individually until you smell chlorine. Let it sit for a minimum of 8 hours. Drain and fill with fresh water, drain again through each tap until no chlorine is present, unless you have chlorine in your city water. I'm on a well so I want it to be chlorine free. I would recommend following this procedure at least twice a season. Better safe than sorry.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #44

Sounds dumb, (it is), but I can't find my fresh water drain. Crawling underneath, I'm not even sure what is the freshwater tank. Any help?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Sounds dumb, (it is), but I can't find my fresh water drain. Crawling underneath, I'm not even sure what is the freshwater tank. Any help?
What is your unit Hugh?

I t should be a small petcock toward the rear of your Rig in easy reach of the streetside side of your rig.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #46

2013 Mirada 29DS. I crawled under and expected to see a small petcock like you said. I would expect it to be underneath and more or less adjacent to where I fill and drain all the liquids. Like I said, dumb question I know. I'm just not seeing it.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #47

Mine is under our fridge, you need to remove a panel and right there. My drain valve is in the water works panel. Not sure where yours would be but it has to have one.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #48

Figured it out. Its a drain valve in the water/waste supply cabinet under the coach, where you hook up water, pull the waste valves, etc. I'd open the three valves and a few dribbles of water came out like it was just draining the supply lines for winterizing. I opened a faucet and it allowed air in and drained the tank in 30 minutes. The fresh/grey/black all seem to be in a three compartment tank with a heat shield directly under the catalytic converter. No drains or access to them. A few pictures and a better description other than "drain your fresh water tank" in the owner's manual would be nice.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #49

So I did the water:bleach thing. I used a short hose to the tank fill with a funnel, diluted the bleach with water and poured it in. It took forever. Too much back pressure I guess with all the fittings, like 1/2 hour to get it all in. Ran the pump, faucets, shower and toilet until I smelled chlorine. Next time I think I'll buy a drill motor water pump from HD and push it in. I'll flush it in the AM. Nice point someone earlier made about running white vinegar through if it still smells like chlorine.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #50

Add bleach to fresh water tank?

Hugh
I have a 40 gal FW tank. I connect my potable water hose to the fill connection. Add 6oz of bleach in the hose. Connect to water supply and fill tank. Hope this helps.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #51
USN/LAPD (Retired)

Hey, at least he's alive to talk about it ! Not to mention pouring in mucho mucho gallons of bleach and ruining plumbing !

Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
So I did the water:bleach thing. I used a short hose to the tank fill with a funnel, diluted the bleach with water and poured it in. It took forever. Too much back pressure I guess with all the fittings, like 1/2 hour to get it all in. Ran the pump, faucets, shower and toilet until I smelled chlorine. Next time I think I'll buy a drill motor water pump from HD and push it in. I'll flush it in the AM. Nice point someone earlier made about running white vinegar through if it still smells like chlorine.
One thing you CAN'T do is turn your garden hose on full and try to fill your fw tank!
Air cannot escape faster then water being put in.
It's also not good for your fw tank to do so!
Try just turning on your hose at at half or less.
1" hose Inlet
1/2" air outlet

Try turning your hose on at a trickle the slow turn it up a little until you find a good ratio and it's not spitting back at you.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank