Old 03-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Cool Add Furnace Air Filter

After learning there is NO air filter in my 2015 Prism's furnace system, I decided to add a filter myself by attaching one directly behind the furnace air return louver assembly. This assembly is directly below the propane oven.

I cut the filter from a stock 12" X 24" X 1" home air filter to match the Prism's air louver assembly.

The pics below illustrate how I did this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abft1x7q7t...moved.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5v96epmwi...ilter.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c87pyr8pbj...tView.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57x7bo8fx4...stall.jpg?dl=0

Has anyone else installed some kind of aftermarket or DIY furnace air filter?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

Add Furnace Air Filter

I added a filter on our Freelander.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458611552.364415.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458611575.808845.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  112.3 KB
Some have voiced concern about restricting air flow. However, I have not had any problems. This might be due to there being about a 1/2" gap at the top over the louvre. My main concern was keeping pet hair from getting to the unit. It seems to have done that very well.

I made the channel out of aluminum angle from HD. The filter just slips in and out from the top. Getting the louvre out is the hard part.
I also put a thin strip of foam under the louvre at the floor to keep things from getting under that way.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Nope, but now you have me thinking....

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #4

I like it. Plan to do something similar. Right now I have a piece of insect screen attached to the back for catching pet hair

Love the drawer retainer.. I also have a very similar set up. Wonder if forest river will be using string/bungee cord for all the drawer clasps

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

WOW you made a very nice setup, i have had 3 coaches with the same type of setup, with a large metal cover over the heat return, and with having dogs and a bird that travel with us, i have always just used a universal filter and cut it to fit, and it has always keep the return/ heater clean from all the dirt and dust.
I have never had any issue with doing this (air restriction) and you also get a side benefit as it makes the heater QUIETER as the filet blocks some of the noise of the heater it self.
Hope this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Dennise,,,,,I've been in the heating/AC business for 40 + years,,,,,the reason for a filter on ac's is to keep crap off the evaporator coils,,,,killing your efficiency. There're no coils on the furnace. Putting a filter on the intake of the furnaces serves absolutely no good purpose. If you do insist on doing it,,,,,make DARNED SURE that it stays clean.... otherwise your hi-temp limit switches on the furnace with try to keep the furnace from overheating. I don't recomment doing it.....there COULD be a serious safety issue.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Did anyone consider using this? No framework needed. Just cut to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01932.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	102597  
Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
HikerBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Dennise,,,,,I've been in the heating/AC business for 40 + years,,,,,the reason for a filter on ac's is to keep crap off the evaporator coils,,,,killing your efficiency. There're no coils on the furnace. Putting a filter on the intake of the furnaces serves absolutely no good purpose. If you do insist on doing it,,,,,make DARNED SURE that it stays clean.... otherwise your hi-temp limit switches on the furnace with try to keep the furnace from overheating. I don't recomment doing it.....there COULD be a serious safety issue.
I'm not a 40+ year HVAC guy, but every Forced Air Unit (FAU) I've ever owned has had a filter on the return air duct to keep guck (oily dust) off of the squirrel cage fan blades and help remove dust and allergens from the circulating air. I understand how a dirty filter could cause the High Temp limit switch to trip, but if I had animals in my TT, I would be cleaning it regularly. I change my home FAU filter quarterly to keep allergens from setting off my sinuses, and would do the same in my TT if I had a filter in it.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
I'm not a 40+ year HVAC guy, but every Forced Air Unit (FAU) I've ever owned has had a filter on the return air duct to keep guck (oily dust) off of the squirrel cage fan blades and help remove dust and allergens from the circulating air. I understand how a dirty filter could cause the High Temp limit switch to trip, but if I had animals in my TT, I would be cleaning it regularly. I change my home FAU filter quarterly to keep allergens from setting off my sinuses, and would do the same in my TT if I had a filter in it.
Agreed.... I have owned quite few houses in the past 40 years, only two didn't have filters. One had a radiator boiler system, the other had a gravity furnace in the hallway.

Every force air system I have ever had, came with some sort of filter on the air return. I WILL be putting one in the camper to keep the dog hair down to a manageable level.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
X 2 no need for it and have had campers for over 7 years without an issue. If it was needed FR would have installed them years ago. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace