Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Cool Add Furnace Air Filter

After learning there is NO air filter in my 2015 Prism's furnace system, I decided to add a filter myself by attaching one directly behind the furnace air return louver assembly. This assembly is directly below the propane oven.

I cut the filter from a stock 12" X 24" X 1" home air filter to match the Prism's air louver assembly.

The pics below illustrate how I did this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abft1x7q7t...moved.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5v96epmwi...ilter.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c87pyr8pbj...tView.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57x7bo8fx4...stall.jpg?dl=0

Has anyone else installed some kind of aftermarket or DIY furnace air filter?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

Add Furnace Air Filter

I added a filter on our Freelander.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458611552.364415.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458611575.808845.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  112.3 KB
Some have voiced concern about restricting air flow. However, I have not had any problems. This might be due to there being about a 1/2" gap at the top over the louvre. My main concern was keeping pet hair from getting to the unit. It seems to have done that very well.

I made the channel out of aluminum angle from HD. The filter just slips in and out from the top. Getting the louvre out is the hard part.
I also put a thin strip of foam under the louvre at the floor to keep things from getting under that way.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Nope, but now you have me thinking....

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 AM   #4

I like it. Plan to do something similar. Right now I have a piece of insect screen attached to the back for catching pet hair

Love the drawer retainer.. I also have a very similar set up. Wonder if forest river will be using string/bungee cord for all the drawer clasps

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

WOW you made a very nice setup, i have had 3 coaches with the same type of setup, with a large metal cover over the heat return, and with having dogs and a bird that travel with us, i have always just used a universal filter and cut it to fit, and it has always keep the return/ heater clean from all the dirt and dust.
I have never had any issue with doing this (air restriction) and you also get a side benefit as it makes the heater QUIETER as the filet blocks some of the noise of the heater it self.
Hope this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Dennise,,,,,I've been in the heating/AC business for 40 + years,,,,,the reason for a filter on ac's is to keep crap off the evaporator coils,,,,killing your efficiency. There're no coils on the furnace. Putting a filter on the intake of the furnaces serves absolutely no good purpose. If you do insist on doing it,,,,,make DARNED SURE that it stays clean.... otherwise your hi-temp limit switches on the furnace with try to keep the furnace from overheating. I don't recomment doing it.....there COULD be a serious safety issue.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Did anyone consider using this? No framework needed. Just cut to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01932.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	102597  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Dennise,,,,,I've been in the heating/AC business for 40 + years,,,,,the reason for a filter on ac's is to keep crap off the evaporator coils,,,,killing your efficiency. There're no coils on the furnace. Putting a filter on the intake of the furnaces serves absolutely no good purpose. If you do insist on doing it,,,,,make DARNED SURE that it stays clean.... otherwise your hi-temp limit switches on the furnace with try to keep the furnace from overheating. I don't recomment doing it.....there COULD be a serious safety issue.
I'm not a 40+ year HVAC guy, but every Forced Air Unit (FAU) I've ever owned has had a filter on the return air duct to keep guck (oily dust) off of the squirrel cage fan blades and help remove dust and allergens from the circulating air. I understand how a dirty filter could cause the High Temp limit switch to trip, but if I had animals in my TT, I would be cleaning it regularly. I change my home FAU filter quarterly to keep allergens from setting off my sinuses, and would do the same in my TT if I had a filter in it.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
I'm not a 40+ year HVAC guy, but every Forced Air Unit (FAU) I've ever owned has had a filter on the return air duct to keep guck (oily dust) off of the squirrel cage fan blades and help remove dust and allergens from the circulating air. I understand how a dirty filter could cause the High Temp limit switch to trip, but if I had animals in my TT, I would be cleaning it regularly. I change my home FAU filter quarterly to keep allergens from setting off my sinuses, and would do the same in my TT if I had a filter in it.
Agreed.... I have owned quite few houses in the past 40 years, only two didn't have filters. One had a radiator boiler system, the other had a gravity furnace in the hallway.

Every force air system I have ever had, came with some sort of filter on the air return. I WILL be putting one in the camper to keep the dog hair down to a manageable level.

Aaron

Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
X 2 no need for it and have had campers for over 7 years without an issue. If it was needed FR would have installed them years ago. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #11
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 no need for it and have had campers for over 7 years without an issue. If it was needed FR would have installed them years ago. Later RJD
FR cuts costs wherever they can, just like most production facilities. FWIW I had a 1975 Airstream that came with: furnace filter, torsion axles WITH shock absorbers, water filtration system, adjustable water pressure regulator and the list goes on. None of which are on many RV's today.

Just because a manufacturer didn't put it on there doesn't mean you don't need it! I would rather replace a filter than tear down a furnace and clean duct work due to gunk build up.

I suspect most people don't run there furnaces enough or keep their RV long enough to have problems. I have torn down a few older RV furnaces and the amount of garbage that was in the blower compartment was mind boggling, also a fire hazard.

Aaron

Old 03-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #12

Before installing a filter on your return air to the furnace you might want to read the owners manual about restricting return air flow. There's a reason a filter isn't installed and no, it's not about cost. Does anyone read the manuals that comes with the installed RV appliances?

An RV furnace is a completely different animal than a house furnace.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Oakman is correct, rv furnaces draw the air from outside, not inside.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #14

I believe only the combustion air is drawn from outside. The inside air is recirculated just like in your home
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #15

Beachcamper is right. The air in this discussion is recirculated air from the inside.....but I repeat.....my 40 year experience in the heating/AC business has taught me that filtration for furnaces can be a fatal mistake.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #16
Censored Member

I’ve been RVing for 15 years and I’ve yet to see a filter on the RETURN air flow to an RV furnace. As Oakman said, read your owners manual for goodness sake.

I’ve been a home owner for over 40 years and I’ve yet to see a house furnace that didn’t have a filter. The owners manual for a house furnace will even tell you what type and size filter to use.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #17

ManlyMan.....X2....I fully agree with you.....like I've been saying,,,,,a house AC NEEDS filtration or you'll pay me or other repairmen lots of money to clean your coils or replace them. FURNACES DON'T HAVE COILS....I did it for 40 years, and I was good at what I did. I know what I'm talking about. One exception: If you have hairy pets,,,,very hairy that lose fur,,,,,,it wouldn't hurt to have a very light filter on the intake for big fur,,,,,but it's not necessary at all. But if you DO have one,,,,as I've said before,,,,,make darned sure that you don't forget about it, because you'll create a potentially dangerous situation.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Before installing a filter on your return air to the furnace you might want to read the owners manual about restricting return air flow. There's a reason a filter isn't installed and no, it's not about cost. Does anyone read the manuals that comes with the installed RV appliances?

An RV furnace is a completely different animal than a house furnace.
I hardly doubt most folks read. Yes these furnaces are totally different than a home. I had a 1982 Winnebago that I kept for 17 Years and never a problem with furnace. BTW it's not FR cutting the cost it is the suppliers. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Oakman is correct, rv furnaces draw the air from outside, not inside.
After looking at the manual, the air IS recirculated inside the camper. Sorry about that folks.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

Yes I DID read the manual. The only thing is says is that it needs 80 square inches of return air space. It doesn't say jack about whether you can use a filter or not. I would much rather clean pet hair out of a filter than the freaking blower box. FWIW yes FR does build to a price point and buys less expensive things to keep the profits up and the costs down. Many of the appliances are built to specifications provided by the RV companies. They can ask for whatever they want and it will be provided at a price. Yes the appliance manufacturers build things and sell them to the RV assemblers. I have worked in a variety of industries and cost vs profits is a primary driver in just about everything.

Also I have taken apart my fair share of furnaces in houses as well as RV's and while there are some differences there are more similarities than not.

Aaron

Tags
furnace