Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Am I the only one?

Bought our new 2013 sportsmen cross country and 405FK In Oct, of that year. Dreams of traveling and seeing the country with the grandkids,trips to the lake visions of grandeur in our heads.
First trip to florida Okeechobee awww fishing for 10 lbers dancing in my brain. Inverter wont charge the batteries W.T.H. get to florida find out man you have got to have tools so I buy everything I think I may need now and in the future tools coming out the wazzoo along with a multimeter. Find out its a bad wirenut connections. FIXED.
That summer take short trip to the lake get ready to leave and the black tank wont drain wholly smokes get home and after finding it was the plastic circle piece that the worker cut out to tie the toilet in he dropped it down into the tank it comes out and turns sideways and blocks the drain. THANKS MAN GOOD ONE.
couple trips later grey wont empty ooooooh I know what that is, yep same thing same guy Im sure. Proably figured it come out, noooooo it wont sir.
2015 trip to Yellowstone entry step motor wont stop running when we get in find out the bolt holding the drive gear in place broke had to hammer it back up everytime we got out. Got home took apart had to redrill new hole and new bigger bolt the bolt they used was a shoulder bolt but the screw part was to same for the force it received going in and out. FIXED I WIN!
2016 Awing wont go out or in whole trip take to dealer not sure if I can or want to fix this. Works fine for them (of course it does) two more back and forth trips and Im fixing it so its a relay that doesnt want to stay switched.
2017 no big surprises nothing to fix except the furniture is now starting to flake wow.
2018 30 mi. Into colorado and engine all of a sudden overheats dash lit up like a christmas tree and bells and whistles are going off O.M.G what now.
3.5 hrs trying to find a mobile repair guy and or tow truck with no luck whatsoever I squeeze my behind up in the engine compartment and find the top radiator hose has just come off. Well fixing it meant being able to reach it just frekin barely can reach it to get it back on took almost an hour of fighting it and the clamp to get it back on. Fill with water from the MH tk god for fresh water tanks and back on the road. And no more crisis SO FAR.
SO AM I THE UNLUCKIEST MH OWNER IN THE WORLD OR WHAT.
Wannabretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

I can see you haven't been reading this forum for long!

You do seem to have had a few more issues than most of us, but then again, fewer than some others.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

It sounds like you are doing just fine since you can fix these things yourself. You have to be an optimist to be a successful RVer otherwise these little problems will drag you down. We bought our first RV in 1971 and have had every possible problem you can dream up. Like you I fix them myself because most RV repair places (except a local shop I found) are of little help and a lot of expense. I may not like it when something goes awry but I fix it then get over it and move on with the trip. It's still fun.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Not long just discovered it while researching the furniture dilemma and have been reading a lot tho
Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #5

Be sure to drain that fresh water from your cooling system and replace with distilled water and or anti freeze.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #6

And have felt thanful that I have a working knowledge of electronics, engines, and such stuff. Also felt sorry for the folks that dont have any knowledge of such things if this is the way of RVing.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

NO!!! You are simply "one of us"! I could fill a good sized book with all the things we've had to engineer while on the road in a RV over the pat 25 years.Things like:

1) Running a rope from the accelerator peddle to the rear engine FI system in a 40 ft Monaco Dynasty MH. This was because the electronic board controlling the throttle died and we needed a mechanical throttle linkage. We drove 800 miles this way!

2) Same MH, awning came unrolled on Interstate 80 with 35-40 mph winds. Took an hour as cars/trucks sped by a 75mph to get it rolled up. Unfortunately for us, no one stopped to help.

3) Same MH, engine FI went out entering Seattle and could only go 20-25mph on flat, 15 mph on hills. Happened @ 5:00 and had traffic backed up behind us on small road with no shoulder.

4 Different MH, one side of dual master cylinder ( HM brake system) failed while high in the Rocky Mountains on a trip out West. Guess how 'hairy" it was going down 6% grades for miles on end with the transmission in low gear and using as little braking as possible.

These lil issues are just the preface for my thick book. And, as I said, you are just "one of us" as we've all had issues and frustrations owning our RV's. It just goes with the territory and sounds like you've handled it pretty darn well.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #8

Yes, did that. All new antifreeze for sure.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #9

No, not the only one. We left Texas to go to Pigeon Forge TN. Made it to Alabama and injector pump went out in my diesel. Looked up diesel repair places and had it towed there. 4 hrs later the “ mechanic “can to me and said he could get power to the pump. (Its mechanical ie should not have power). Callled Father in law and he brought 2 more trucks and we towed it and camper back to TX where the next guy that fixed it didn’t clean out all the metal shavings from the pump going out and messed up the injectors. Then went on to mess up the next two sets as well. Finally took it to a guy that new what he was doing, and truck runs great now. While it was broken sold the camper. Decided to get a new one. First night we are in it there is water running down inside the storage from somewhere, so now it is back at dealer😩. I think I should give up. Lol
RockingE Flagstaff 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

Nope not giving up, determined yes I'm either committed to living out my dream of going where I have not been, seeing things I have not seen, or I'm just going to be committed.��
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
Site Team

I don't think it's any different than owning a house.
Every year there's something broke, requires maintenance or needs repair.
Same thing goes for your truck/car.

Why should a RV be any different? Especially when you add a drivetrain to the house.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #12

Thanks everyone, what a relief. I know better than to buy used anything, but did it any way, and every trip, there has been something that I have to fix.
Thought I may have got the shaft, but nothing more than owning a home. Always something to fix and preventive maintenance goes on. As well the personal touches that make it your home! Good thing I waited until I retired and have the time(well sort of) to do all these things, putting off the honey do projects!
Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

I just purchased a 2014 cross country, Does this diesel require DEF fluid?

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #14

Yes it should be in the cabinet behind right rear wheel
Rdglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
Dahagen

Wannabretired....there was a recall on the step bolt. Coachman will fix it free. And on the furniture flaking, contact Tonyia at Forest River. If your furniture covers are from a bad batch of fabric, they may send you all new seat and couch covers. I have a 2013 Mirada and they sent me all new ready-made covers. Had to replace the fabric myself. Not easy, but I did it!
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #16

You should have a qauge showing you the level same place as your fuel just below. Mine is 4 square blocks showing full 3/4 1/2 etc. If full you can go a couple tanks of diesel before u go through a tank of def. I'm assuming yours would be like mine.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Wannabretired....there was a recall on the step bolt. Coachman will fix it free. And on the furniture flaking, contact Tonyia at Forest River. If your furniture covers are from a bad batch of fabric, they may send you all new seat and couch covers. I have a 2013 Mirada and they sent me all new ready-made covers. Had to replace the fabric myself. Not easy, but I did it!
That bolt was a bad design for sure. But I fixed it with a bigger bolt so it will never break again. And yep, they are sending me new fabric. But I have to put it on. U said u did it? Was concerned it would reguire a person with a little more knowledge than I thought I had to get it on right, especially the captains chairs. Is the new material better than the old stuff? Or have u had it on long enough to find out.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabretired View Post
And have felt thanful that I have a working knowledge of electronics, engines, and such stuff. Also felt sorry for the folks that dont have any knowledge of such things if this is the way of RVing.
I agree. Many of us have learned what we need to know through life to deal with RV QUALITY CONTROL I mean lack thereof.

This is a real hell for the guy with no tools and no aptitude. Sadly, they're the one who lose half of every season in the shop when you and I just fix it and move on.

Here's me drinking a beer wishing you a better season this year.

Tom
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #19

These items you mention are not just FR issues. They are RV issues. Pretty much every single manufacturer of RV's has a lot of quality control issues to be sure. Just breathe, take it one step at a time, and you'll be just fine.

Scott
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #20
Coach

After just reading Tam's thread, no you are far from the unluckiest RV owner out there. I'd complain more about issues with the camper myself but the truth is I have to fix stuff whether I'm in the camper or at home. Somehow being in the camper is more relaxing to me.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote