Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Any Feedback on 2014 Pursuit 27 KB?

Hello to all,
I've joined the Forest River Forum because my husband and I are considering the purchase of a new 2014 Coachmen Pursuit 27KB. We are experienced RVers having owned and actually used a 27' Class C Majestic, a Winnebago Adventurer (35'), and currently a 2010 Coachmen Chaparral 28' travel trailer - the latter of which we've just taken out twice in 12 months :-(. It has been used several times as an extra bedroom when we have company. We've decided we like the convenience of a motorized RV vs a TT -- so the search is on.

One of my husband's requirements is to keep the size below 30'. I want to have a walk-around queen bed (minimum size) that has a real mattress, which led me to look at the Pursuit 27KB. The floorplan shows it has a king bed! Can someone give me the low down on how the 27KB handles on the highway, in the city and going up mountains compared to a typical Class C rig?

My husband has been looking online at a 2011 or 2012 Winnebago Via 25Q which has a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 6 cyl engine. This one seems a little small for me, hubby and two JRTs doggies but my husband likes the increased maneuverability and the better mpg of the smaller footprint. Used 25Q's are difficult to find. Looks like we'll have to fly/drive halfway across the country to get a used one with no warranties. Can't afford to buy a new one. In terms of what we'd get for our money, we can purchase a new 2014 Pursuit 27KB for less than we would pay for a 2011 Via 25Q.

Any suggestions / feedback from the forum will be greatly appreciated.

Beth in Florida
bethinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Pursuit 27KB

Hi Bethinflorida,
We are also Floridians. Before we bought our 27KB in December of last year we did some extensive research and a lot of looking. We also had the under 30' requirement so we could fit in all of those parks our 39' 5th wheel rig had to pass by.
Almost all of the Class A's this size are built on Ford F-53 Chassis powered by the Triton V-10 @ 362 HP. They will be the 16k or 18k weight rating. I suggest you eliminate the 16k models. So basically all you are looking at is the coach itself.
Handling: They stink because they are big boxes on short wheelbase frames and the suspension is not set up for that load. The good news is that you can fix it for about $1500. So plan on adding a rear track bar (panhard) steering dampener and the infamous CHF (cheap handling fix) with Hellwig adjustable links. Then it will handle like a Class C on a 450 chassis.

We have had many RVs of different brands and the Coachmen is of Average quàlity.

The bed is not a King size. It's a 70x75 special size that is hard to get sheets to fit and there is no reason for it. Just pure design ignorance.
The mattress is, in my opinion, a sleeping pad and not a mattress.
I have discussed this with the dealer and and the factory. Plan on $750 to have a real mattress made to fit. The brochure reads that it is an innerspring mattress. That's not the truth of it.

Bottom line is if you don't care if it's a low end coach and want a lot of space for the buck, it's not bad.

BTW, No information center. No 120v water heat. No mattress upgrade. No insulated window upgrade. No electric heat upgrade.
All fixable.
No factory customer service... Not fixable.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #3

We also are looking at the 27kb and like the floodplain very much. Would love feedback from more then one person anyone else have one? We would love to hear from you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags