Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

Are plumbing leaks common?

Here's the story:
I brought the motor home to the house Wednesday noon. I filled the freshwater tanks and then disconnect the city water. I was in and out loading for this weekends trip. Thursday morning I turned on my 425 watt electric water heater, the water pump was off but the system was more than likely pressurized from use on Wednesday. When I enter a couple hours later, I see a trickle of water a cross the floor. (The hot water tank had reached 136F, the electric element maxes at 148F) I traced the water back to the bathroom sink and I was able to get a good half a turn on the cold water faucet connection. It was the one that was wet. Earlier in my travels I noticed the same issue at the kitchen sink and I also found loose connection on the inside of the valve area. I thought that I tighten the bathroom sink connections too, but maybe I didn't.

Anyone else have these "thumb nut" connection loosen up over time?

I just assume it would be wrong to put a wrench on them since they have the little tabs for fingers on the nut.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

Update:
I opened a faucet and relieved the pressure in the system when the hot water tank was at 136F and closed it. When the tank reached 148F, I opened a faucet - I was surprised how much pressure was in the system! That little 6 gallon tank creates a lot of expansion. I wish I had a pressure gauge on the system.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

I had a few drain nuts back off over time. What we did to fix that was drill a small hole in the tab and put a saftey wire in it so it can never loosen up again. Just things you learn from Racing cars , saftey wire anything and everything you can , 47 years of racing and never had a part come loose of fall off.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

That's a great idea, I'm getting my drill out when we get home!
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Dahagen

A side note here....any time a hot water heater is set above about 125 degrees the water could burn someone. Be careful at the temps you are mentioning.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
I had a few drain nuts back off over time. What we did to fix that was drill a small hole in the tab and put a saftey wire in it so it can never loosen up again. Just things you learn from Racing cars , saftey wire anything and everything you can , 47 years of racing and never had a part come loose of fall off.
Solves a lot of problems.
30+ years prepping race cars.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

I would love to see a picture with the safety wire. I just can't visualize it and mine have comne loose so I would be interested in this trick.

Thanks...Steve
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:52 AM   #8
Swift2

I found at CW or Ace hardware a little water monitor that is battery powered and sounds off with a loud squeal when a little water leaks out. I have one under the kitchen sink, one in the bathroom under the sink and one under in the water heater area. The batteries seem to last a long time.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcomputerwiz View Post
I would love to see a picture with the safety wire. I just can't visualize it and mine have comne loose so I would be interested in this trick.

Thanks...Steve
Look under (Aircraft Engines) many Pics of (Fasteners secured with Safety Wire) Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
dgibbs1955

Cool

I believe that "oldcomputerwiz" was wanting to know what you attached the safety wire to at the other end "youroo".....Being a retired Flight Engineer myself, I am also curious???? There are lots of things to do that to on an engine, but not much in a 5er, or TV.....
I just make it a point of periodically checking all my connections before and after a long trip on the road.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Do a simple figure eight withe the wire between the two connectors.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #12

Just a note: The nuts used on compression connectors are VERY thin walled. I doubt that there is enough "meat" to drill for safety wire. Old motorcycle racing trick from before the time of nyloc nuts was to use silicone caulk around the heads of fasteners. It always worked for me.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, plumbing