Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

Auto generator run

I have a 2016 Mirada 35 KB with residential fridge. I had it plugged into 50 amp service. I noticed generator hours were increasing. Why does it run?. I assume to charge batteries but if hooked up to shore power why would it run? What do I need to do to keep it from running?
Pc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc03 View Post
I have a 2016 Mirada 35 KB with residential fridge. I had it plugged into 50 amp service. I noticed generator hours were increasing. Why does it run?. I assume to charge batteries but if hooked up to shore power why would it run? What do I need to do to keep it from running?

Sounds as though it's mis-wired, meter is monitoring shore Voltage in lieu of generator output.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

The auto run *may* be programmed to run at specific times even when connected to shore power. Also, if shore power is cutting out at times and the battery voltage drops, the genny should start to recharge the batteries.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #4

agreed re wiring. There should be a wire going to your 110V system. Mine is connected to an 110V outlet via a 12v adapter. If there is power it keeps the AGS from starting. In addition, some require you to actually engage the system to monitor battery voltage and/or hi-temp. wish I could help more

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #5

Thanks. I'll pass along to service dept. they haven't come up with a good answer yet. It would help if Coachmen had a decent manual. Not a generic A Gas motor home book.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
WDW

Did you install an auto start or is that an option for your KS? Our BH does not have that option.

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

I didn't have it installed. Must have come with the residential fridge.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

I took to dealer in December. Service said it was wired wrong and the hour meter was running but the generator wasn't. Also said there is no way the gen will run automatically on a gas coach. The hours have not increased so I thought they knew what they were talking about. Coach has been plugged into shore power for 7 weeks while we were gone.Sunday I cranked up gen and V10 and let run for a short time. I wake up this morning at 4:30 and what do I hear? Generator on motor home is running. Has anybody had a gen start automatically or am I blessed with the only one Coachman made? All input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
WDW

I wound suggest writing Nate an email at Coachmen and asking him based on your VIN.

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #10

I contacted Nate at Coachmen. He said take it to Cummins. If it is generator related the warranty should cover cost. If it is coach related I am to pay for it and Coachmen will reimburse me. I finally got MH toRocky Mountain Cummins in Albuquerque. Wiring checked out good. They changed the main board on the gen. Should solve problem. I highly recommend Rocky Mountain Cummins. Excellent, friendly service. Ken is the generator guru. He was checking out the coach before I got paperwork filled out. Thanks to everybody for the input and suggestions on this thread.

Tags
generator