Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Base Plate: Swap started

Turns out the most difficult part is getting the old one off the 2010 Jeep, (green Jeep).

The wires welded to the nuts twisted inside the frame when I tried to remove them and I could not reach back into the frame with an open end wrench to hold the nut while I screwed the bolt out. Wasted a lot of time figuring out how to get that done. On the other side I was able to get vice grips on the wire to hold it while I unscrewed the bolt.

To make it more difficult, I only had two small openings in which to try to fit a socket on a swivel extension or an open end wrench. And to make it more difficult only the box end of the wrench would fit in the hole, it might have been easier if I could have slipped the open end wrench through.

With the DWs help I got it done and removed the base plate from the 2010. Cleaned it up and put a few coats of fresh black paint on it. Will let it dry overnight and then install it on the 2012 Jeep (red jeep) tomorrow.

In the fourth shot you can see the plate welded to the end of the frame. It has 6 holes, the two in the center are for access, the lower one was slightly larger. From there I was trying to reach the nuts on the two top bolts you can see at the top of the side plate of the base plate, right by the orange sticker. Very difficult to get a box wrench on those nuts especially with a weld on the side of the nut for the wire.

Roll
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070148.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	32657   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070153.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	32658   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070166.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	32659   Click image for larger version

Name:	With notations.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	32660  
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Nice work Roll... I was going to suggest just grinding the heads off the bolts if you were really stuck. Seem patience was key!!

Mal