Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #1

We had a bad storm blow through during a recent camping trip. During the night I heard a loud bang outside and I remember thinking that someone's awning or slide topper just blew off. When I went out in the morning I was shocked to discover a huge dent on one of my storage doors from the inside!!

Apparently the wind had somehow got into the basement, got under a cornhole board stored there and slid the 35 lb board off the passthrough and into the door on the other side of the coach punching a hole in it. Yeah, the winds were that bad.

This is especially disheartening as the coach is a brand new 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35dl that I have had just a few weeks at this point and all I had to do to prevent it was put the boards in upside down so the wind couldn't catch them.

I have had the dealer quote a repair and he is quoting $900 for a new door! This door is basically just some styrofoam kind of material covered in plastic with a frame around it. Does this price seem right to you? Can't I just call Coachmen and get a new one?

Thoughts appreciated!!!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
We had a bad storm blow through during a recent camping trip. During the night I heard a loud bang outside and I remember thinking that someone's awning or slide topper just blew off. When I went out in the morning I was shocked to discover a huge dent on one of my storage doors from the inside!!

Apparently the wind had somehow got into the basement, got under a cornhole board stored there and slid the 35 lb board off the passthrough and into the door on the other side of the coach punching a hole in it. Yeah, the winds were that bad.

This is especially disheartening as the coach is a brand new 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35dl that I have had just a few weeks at this point and all I had to do to prevent it was put the boards in upside down so the wind couldn't catch them.

I have had the dealer quote a repair and he is quoting $900 for a new door! This door is basically just some styrofoam kind of material covered in plastic with a frame around it. Does this price seem right to you? Can't I just call Coachmen and get a new one?

Thoughts appreciated!!!
You didn't say... does the estimate include installation and painting? Is the gas door shock and/or the latch damaged too? What about the hinges? If so I'm not sure that is way out of line.

Let me check to see what a door cost when I rubbed against a post last year......I'm back. Have the invoice here. They replaced two doors for me, the raw cost for each of the doors was 243.39. These were the larger full height doors by the way, doors come in several sizes depending on the compartment. They don't break out the labor or paint by door on this invoice and there were other repairs done to complete the job, so I am unable to give you labor or paint costs relative to one door.

If nothing else, get a second estimate. By the way, this should be covered by your coach insurance; subject to your deductible.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #3

That must have been some wind!!!! Good thing it wasn't worse, and its very fixable!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
If you are going to factory--------------

If you are going to the factory rally, make arrangements to get it replaced
there. Some of the work was performed labor free, just had to pay for the item.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post

You didn't say... does the estimate include installation and painting? Is the gas door shock and/or the latch damaged too? What about the hinges? If so I'm not sure that is way out of line.

Let me check to see what a door cost when I rubbed against a post last year......I'm back. Have the invoice here. They replaced two doors for me, the raw cost for each of the doors was 243.39. These were the larger full height doors by the way, doors come in several sizes depending on the compartment. They don't break out the labor or paint by door on this invoice and there were other repairs done to complete the job, so I am unable to give you labor or paint costs relative to one door.

If nothing else, get a second estimate. By the way, this should be covered by your coach insurance; subject to your deductible.

Roll
This door is the one that is about four feet wide and maybe 2 1/2 feet high. It is the main door to the basement compartment and is the biggest on the coach by far. The price quoted included painting, and installation. The door itself was $720. The painting, installation, and tax got it up to $970. The current door really cannot be repaired.

My deductible is $1000 I think, but I will have to check that.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:

This door is the one that is about four feet wide and maybe 2 1/2 feet high. It is the main door to the basement compartment and is the biggest on the coach by far. The price quoted included painting, and installation. The door itself was $720. The painting, installation, and tax got it up to $970. The current door really cannot be repaired.

My deductible is $1000 I think, but I will have to check that.
Verified that deductible is $100. :-(

I also found out that Coachmen sells the door for $125 unpainted!!! That means the dealer was going to charge me over $850 to paint it!!! Needless to say, I ordered the door from Coachmen and I'll find my own place to have it painted.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

You would think the dealer would want to keep you for a repeat customer and give you an honest price. I'm not sure I'd do business with them any more
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
You would think the dealer would want to keep you for a repeat customer and give you an honest price. I'm not sure I'd do business with them any more
The funny thing is that the door is only painted on the one side!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Verified that deductible is $100. :-(

I also found out that Coachmen sells the door for $125 unpainted!!! That means the dealer was going to charge me over $850 to paint it!!! Needless to say, I ordered the door from Coachmen and I'll find my own place to have it painted.

That's good to know.

Watch the fit against the rubber seal. I had to go back to the dealer to have mine adjusted after the repair. I had water on the inside after a rain. I tape a list of everything in each compartment to the door and after a rain the ink had run on two of the compartments they fixed. They made the adjustment, no hassle, but you may want to do a "pull paper" test on the door after you install it.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote