Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Batteries Dying on New Prism 24G

I picked up a new Prism 24G from MHS 2 weeks ago and the batteries keep going dead when it sits for more than a day with the battery switch off.
Are the batteries bad or are there parasitic drains causing the issue or ???

Old 04-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

How long are you charging it for? Would take a good 24 hours or more with the onboard charger, the battery should not be going dead if the battery disconnect is really disconnecting the battery. You will need to find out what is still connected with the disconnect on.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #3

Parasitic loads won't drain a battery THAT fast. Was the battery first fully charged?? If so...prolly dead lead.
If not...do so... Put it on a real charger overnite then see how long it lasts with the electric off. At least a week would be normal.... mine last over 3 weeks on a class A. and that is just to 50%.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #4

I assume since I had been driving the RV for a couple of days straight, the batteries were fully charged.
As far as I understand, the only things still connected with the switch shut off were the safety sensors, carbon monoxide, etc.
If the batteries prove to be bad, any idea if they are covered under warranty?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon50 View Post
I assume since I had been driving the RV for a couple of days straight, the batteries were fully charged.
As far as I understand, the only things still connected with the switch shut off were the safety sensors, carbon monoxide, etc.
If the batteries prove to be bad, any idea if they are covered under warranty?
Driving does not normally charge the house batteries. They charge off of your converter which has a built in charger. So you need to be plugged into shore power or running your generator to charge the house batteries. Or, you can get a solar charger $$$.
With your battery disconnect switch "shut off", your CO & gas detector is off as is everything else that is wired thru the converter. Only things that are wired directly to the battery will function... like a remote control receiver and steps. Some things, like your radio clock and such are powered by your chassis battery and remain on.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Great information, thanks.
I'm new to RVs.
There are 2 batteries under the step, are they just house batteries?
Do they also start and run the motor?
If not, is there a 3rd battery somewhere?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

Batteries should be covered if the unit is new... but they probably can be charged and "rescued". ThePrism has a built in 55 amp CONVERTER... a converter supplies 12V to stuff when you are plugged in...AND...charges your house batts. Procedure:
1. Get yourself a cheap multimeter that will allow you to read voltage at the battery posts. DIGITAL readout needed. 10 bucks.
2. With everything unplugged...take a voltage reading at the battery posts. Anything less than 11.5 volts is seriously flat! Assuming you are seriously flat...fill battery water levels if needed and plug in your coach somewhere...household current is fine if you have the right adapters.
3. With the coach plugged in...turn ON your 12V switch and you should be able to turn on your overhead 12V lights. Take another reading after waiting 5 minutes or so. You should be getting somewhere in the 14V range at the battery terminals.
4. If you aren't seeing ANY change to your original reading...there's a problem with your converter... it may be as simple as a blown fuse...back to dealer. If you are seeing well over 13V...then leave the coach plugged in for 24 hours.
5. Unplug and Remove the NEGATIVE wire (black) and wait 24 hours. Then take a new reading at the posts. You should see 12.6 or 12.7 Volts. Anything less than 12.4 indicates significant loss of capacity (damage) and I'd talk to your dealer about a replacement. Get a new TRUE deep cycle in any event.

Note... don't know about yours but MANY benz chassis models do NOT provide for alternator charging underway except to engine batt...to charge House batts you must either plug in or use your generator. Easy to check what YOURS does.
With 12V turned on take a battery reading for voltage at the house batt terminals.
Then turn engine on and take a new reading after a few minutes. Should be somewhere over 13V if engine DOES charge the house batteries. If no change...plug in.

Hope this helps...good luck.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Driving does not normally charge the house batteries. They charge off of your converter which has a built in charger. So you need to be plugged into shore power or running your generator to charge the house batteries. Or, you can get a solar charger $$$.
With your battery disconnect switch "shut off", your CO & gas detector is off as is everything else that is wired thru the converter. Only things that are wired directly to the battery will function... like a remote control receiver and steps. Some things, like your radio clock and such are powered by your chassis battery and remain on.
My CO / gas detector is wired directly to the battery, had to put in SPST switch in line with another for the clock radio. Just remember to turn them back on when you use the unit. No more parasites. There is not one unit wired the same, you just need to find them...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Thanks for the very useful information.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon50 View Post
Great information, thanks.
I'm new to RVs.
There are 2 batteries under the step, are they just house batteries?
Do they also start and run the motor?
If not, is there a 3rd battery somewhere?
Your chassis is a Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3.0 Diesel that came with a battery. I know that my baby benz has the battery under the floor of the passenger foot well. I do not know where MB hides your chassis battery if it is not stuffed under the hood someplace. It is likely to be in a box so it may not look like a battery. Just follow the cables and you will find it. Or you can just call your deslership service dept and they will tell you.
Also, I have an emergency switch that will start the coach engine from the house batteries. That was a coachmen factory install. If you kill your house batteries you will not he able to start your generator without a jump.
Since you bought new, you must have the Chassis owners manual. That is a good reference for your question as well.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery