Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Brake controller for 2008 Sportcoach Legend

I am having a hard time finding out if my coach is wired under the dash for a brake controller this is a diesel pusher with air brakes and the freightliner rep told me it probably isn't wired other people say it probably is, the local coachman dealership service manager didn't have a clue so now I'm turning to the people that probably actually know, any help would be appreciated
Ruffin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
2009 Sports Coach Legend

Ruffin it,

Your Legend is pre wired.
Under your dash, close to the steering column is a connector that connects to a
US GEAR BRAKE CONTROLLER. It's hard to find but hang in there and you will.
I became a contortionist under the dash area and finally found it by unscrewing the gauge panel. Go to US Gear and see what the connection looks like to find the correct connector.

Steve Bernard
Good Sam Lifer
Coachmen Member
gnlsjb Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #3

Thanks? I will look this weekend when I have it out. I will let you know how I make out Bill Hutchinson
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

What makes it a little confusing on the FL chassis is how they leave it (at least on mine it was). Look for a black plug with no wires coming out of it. This is the connector if you were to hook up the brake controller to the chassis wiring already there. Now, here's the good part. If you want to use a standard controller, you'll need the pigtail to hook to the factory harness. The only place I found that pigtail was through FL and they get like $150 for it - ridiculous! I think the US Gear controller is also a very high cost (not sure, so please check it). What you can do, though, is one of two options: 1) cut the factory harness at the connector and splice in the generic pigtail to connect the controller or 2) use the black connector already on the end of the factory harness and fabricate your own pigtail. If you make your own pigtail, the folks at etrailer.com can help you with the pin out information (pretty simple), but you'll need to have the pins and tool to install them in the connector. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
2009 Sports Coach Legend

Brake Controller

If you want to order from US Gear Through PPL Motor Homes:
800-755-4775

Unified tow brake control #94-7524 $339.95
Freightliner connector #94-7525 $ 30.53
Shipping 9.99

5/14 pricing
Good Sam Lifer
Coachmen Member
gnlsjb Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the ideas, has been raining here the last couple of days and we are taking the coach out this weekend so I will get busy looking for the wiring and get a handle what I'm actually looking for. You know this working stuff really gets in the way of using the RV like it should be. Part time now full time someday

Bill Hutchinson
2008 Sportcoach Legend 40QIK
2005 Honda Element
Good Sam Member
Old 08-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1440031466.014783.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	86228

Here's a picture of the connector you'll be looking for. This is the end you would use to make your own pigtail if you have the pins and the tool to insert them. On mine, I found this connected to the factory harness and taped to the bottom of the steering column just above the floor. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #8

Great picture, my first question is how many wires are hooked to this connector? I was just out under the dash of my coach for a few minutes and I saw something that looked similar but it had only 2 wires going to it and the end was taped over I was thinking there would probably be 4 wires. I knew it couldn't be that easy, maybe I will take the gauge cluster out and that would give me more access to the wiring. Again thanks for the help.

Bill Hutchinson
2008 Sportcoach Legend 40Qik
2005 Honda Element
Good Sam Member
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

The larger end (right side in the photo) is where your pigtail will connect. There are spots for six pins, but you only use five of them. I think this black connector is attached to a blue plug on the chassis. There is a chance they only had the blue end on your coach.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

Just took apart the dash at the campground and I believe I found my plug to connect to I will take a picture and hopefully I can figure out how to send it. Thanks for all the help. Bill Hutchinson
Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #11

Just took the dash apart and I think I found the connector I took a picture but don't know how to send it on the forum Thanks Bill Hutchinson

Tags
brake control, controller, sport, brakes