Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

Brake master cylinder fluid refill

Hello everybody.
I have a 2012 Coachmen Mirada 32DS motor home. How do you refill the
brake master cylinder container. The liquid container is not accessible
from the open hood. Do you use as special fill up device?

Pleas help me.
Narsbsr12
narsbsr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #2

Have your brakes checked. as the brake lining wares down the piston that pushes on the brakes moves out further. the brake fluid then fills the space left by the piston. This lowers the fluid in the master brake cylinder container.

brakes last 40 - 60 thousand miles
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Have your brakes checked. as the brake lining wares down the piston that pushes on the brakes moves out further. the brake fluid then fills the space left by the piston. This lowers the fluid in the master brake cylinder container.

Good morning.
Thanks for the reply,
What i want to know is when the brake fluid level is very low on the container, how do you fill up the container? The container is not accessible from the open hood.Is there fill up device I can use? Some people said remove the dashboard so I can access the master cylinder from inside the motor home.

Please help me.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post

I think the op understands that. The question is "Where is the brake fluid container?"
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsbsr12 View Post
Good morning.
Thanks for the reply,
What i want to know is when the brake fluid level is very low on the container, how do you fill up the container? The container is not accessible from the open hood.Is there fill up device I can use? Some people said remove the dashboard so I can access the master cylinder from inside the motor home.

Please help me.
To add fluid???? Does anybody read theses questions????:rof lblack:

I'm sure someone with a Mirada will be along shortly.

Common sense tells me it is under the hood or under the doghouse.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #6

I believe the Mirada is an f53 chassis...like this.

And the brake cylinder is located high and directly in front of the drivers wheel as shown.
I would recommend REMOVING the front swing up cover entirely since that is just a couple of bolts and will give you more room to work.
Assuming you can get to the cylinder tops to remove...you could then use a long necked flexible plastic funnel to deliver the fluid.
https://www.amazon.com/Long-Flex-Fle...le+long+funnel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f53.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	164684  
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Funnel is a mess. I used a pump that I got from Advance Autoparts (pic below) on my Coachmen Pursuit. Consider what TimVW said though. If your reservoir is low you most likely either have a leak or your pads need replacing. Low brake fluid is a concern that indicates the need to investigate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71C3F39D-22C0-4A7C-A382-9D99FBE9A990.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	164685  
Old 03-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

I use a fluid transfer pump I got from harbor freight. They are about 7 bucks each but invaluable for oil changes and other fluid refills. The brake cylinder tops can be taken off from under the hood but for me it’s a two person job. I use a strong flashlight to be able to see the fluid level as my wife works the fluid pump while I hold the end of the tube in the cylinder with one hand and the flashlight in the other. It’s not fun but doable. Good luck
Ps I usually throw the pump away after the job is complete
Dwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Funnel is a mess. I used a pump that I got from Advance Autoparts (pic below) on my Coachmen Pursuit. Consider what TimVW said though. If your reservoir is low you most likely either have a leak or your pads need replacing. Low brake fluid is a concern that indicates the need to investigate.
Not true
Low brake fluid indicates the need to investigate. Not a major concern. Pads most likey within tolerance but time for a looksee.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Not true
Low brake fluid indicates the need to investigate. Not a major concern. Pads most likey within tolerance but time for a looksee.
You say not true then restate exactly what I said! I think you mistake what I meant when I said “low” to mean not full. At any rate, I will yield to your F-53 experience and colorful font.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
You say not true then restate exsctly what I said! I think you mistake what I meant when I said “low” to mean not full. At any rate, I will yield to your F-53 experience and colorful font.
I did not restate exsctly what you said. You stated that there must be a leak or pads need replacing. It can very well be NO leak and pads worn within tolerance. Add some fluid and drive on is very much a possibility. Just like the cars I've have been driving for the last 67 years.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Not true
Quote:
I did not restate exsctly what you said. You stated that there must be a leak or pads need replacing. It can very well be NO leak and pads worn within tolerance. Add some fluid and drive on is very much a possibility. Just like the cars I've have been driving for the last 67 years.
Cavie, I think this may be another one of your instances where your mind is knowing what you mean, but you are not typing it clearly or succinctly.

I believe you are trying to match colors (red and blue) with your statements vs another members. There is really no way anyone can understand that since you quoted them, then made your own statement below it. It does appear you are saying "not true" in red then restating them in blue. That is extremely confusing since you don't explain it as such, that the red "not true" statement goes to the quoted part you put in red.

Also I don't believe you really meant to type you have been "driving" for the last 67 years, as that would mean you have been driving since the day you were born...which I also noticed is today. Happy Birthday.

Sometimes the typing fingers outrun the thoughts.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Cavie, I think this may be another one of your instances where your mind is knowing what you mean, but you are not typing it clearly or succinctly.

I believe you are trying to match colors (red and blue) with your statements vs another members. There is really no way anyone can understand that since you quoted them, then made your own statement below it. It does appear you are saying "not true" in red then restating them in blue. That is extremely confusing.

Also I don't believe you really meant to type you have been "driving" for the last 67 years, as that would mean you have been driving since the day you were born...which I also noticed is today. Happy Birthday.

Sometimes the typing fingers outrun the thoughts.
The red in my quote matches the red in my answer. The blue in my quote matches the blue in my answer. Pretty simple. I tried to pm this but Duckogram does not accept PM's. You are correct 50 years of driving but I think I got my point across. Thank you for the B'day wishes.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #14

What most people don't understand is the brake master cylinder reservoir is engineered in size to match the amount of fluid needed to supply adequate fluid to the point that the brake linings are worn out. So drive till the Low brake fluid light comes on then have your brake system serviced.
Adding fluid at any other time is not needed and will not make the brakes better or last longer.
If the low brake fluid light comes on before the brake linings are worn out then a leak is present either internally or externally. Keeping a eye on the fluid at each oil change can help determine when brake service is needed. Hopefully this will help.
whitewinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #15

Hello everybody,
I do not have a brake fluid leak. I asked what everybody is doing when fluid level is low so I can fill up the container in case I need to. I like the pump that Duckogram bought from Advance auto.

Mr Camaraderie, where is the front swing up cover? Is that on the driver side wheel well?
Best regards to all.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

I think Camaraderie is referring to your front access panel that has the Coachmen logo on it. Mine had the swing out side hinged doors and it was still very tight up behind it.
Glad to hear you have no leak. That would be bad. Never hurt to check. It’s all about being safe on the road.