Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

CB radio antenna

Looking to install a Was looking at the 3' Firestik for the antenna, and just wondering if anyone has had good luck with it or recommendations for other antennas?
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Firesticks are nice antennas, but they need a good ground plane. Since this post is in the Motorhome section I assume you have a MH and most have fiberglass a body. Might need some additional mounting considerations.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

Yes, I have Class C Leprechaun.
I'm looking at the no ground plane antenna. All I've read, says it will be about 80% effective on a fiberglass unit vs. an all metal vehicle. Plan on mounting on the side of the bunk over cab.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

And thanks for your service!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #5

CB radio antenna

I use the 3' no ground plane Firestik. Works well. I used a Friegtliner Casita antenna mount hose clamped to my driver side mirror.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:11 AM   #6

It depends on what you expect to get from the antenna and how you plan to use it. Choosing antennas is a process of compromise. The best antenna for maximum efficiency would be a 102" stiff tube on the roof that will not bend while traveling down the highway at 80 MPH. Under the antenna would be another 102" tube straight down. Every other antenna is a compromise.

A 36" antenna is less efficient, but more practical. It can be mounted on a mirror and you should be able to communicate on Chan 19 for 5 miles and on open channel for 10 miles, depending alot on what the other station has for an antenna.

The best practical antenna for CB is a 102" whip mounted to the rear bumper, if you have a fiberglass unit. If you have an aluminum frame camper, keep the antenna away as far as possible from vertical frame members. If possible, secure the top of the antenna to keep it from bending while driving down the road.

No matter what antenna you use, grounding is important. The "ground plane" is the other half of the antenna. Also, be sure to test and adjust your SWR. Too high of SWR may reduce your radio's power output or damage your radio's transmitter.

Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio