Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

CB20 Micro Waterpump Location?

Does anyone know where to access the water pump?

Living in NW Minnesota, it won't be too long before I'll have to winterize.
VitoNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Pump is Inaccessible On My 20CB

As this thread starter, this is what I've found out about the water pump location in my Freelander 20CB Micro.

The Coachmen build date of this RV is January 2016. I bought the 20CB brand new early this month, September.

I figured out, just by the pump's sound, aka "hammering", that the pump is located under the shower area. I tried to find a way to access the pump for winterizing, or for possible future replacement, to no avail.

I have been in communication with the Coachmen Class C Service and Warranty manager about this problem. The manager has attempted to guide me through the process of finding the pumps location according to his schematics.

I have unscrewed numerous supposed access panels, took photos, to prove to the manager that what he claims does not coincide with my findings. He has stated that there must have been a change in plumbing design since my build!

How can it be that the consumer, or RV technician, can not have access to the pump without a major tear down of the bathroom and major re-plumbing of the RV?

I feel that this is a MAJOR DESIGN PROBLEM/FLAW that has put a gloom over my ownership of this new RV.

A determination as how this will play out with Coachmen has yet to be determined as of this date.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

I guarantee the pump is accessible someplace. Not likely is it under the shower since really there would not be room for it. You might be hearing an echo or vibration. Just thinking out loud and very well could be wrong.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:06 AM   #4

It seems to me that it would have to be very close or next to your fresh water tank.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

20CB Micro Waterpump Location

Thanks for both replies. It has yet to be determined where the pump is located. It is not near the fresh water tank, and yes it is possible for the pump's hammering to be transmitted via the plumbing pipes to seem like the pump is in another location.

Coachmen's Class C Service and Warranty department is apparently still trying to figure out why mine can't be easily found, or accessed, and how they will respond to me.

I'm a guy who needs to know how these RV systems work, function and how to access them. It's as simple (?) as that.

Are there any other Freelander 20CB Micro owners who have the same question, or who are about to winterize in the coming weeks?

Are there other Freelander 20CB Micro owners who know how to access their water pumps?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

We got a 20CB last weekend. Was wondering about that as well. Sounds like under the bed, but haven't unscrew the bed platform yet to see. Dealer pointed out the low point drains accessable through the back hatch and the white deck access cover.

I usually use the air blow down method, but also like to remove the water lines to the pump to get the last drops of water out and also check the strainer. If I find it I will post it. Visiting the unit this weekend.

I also need to find the 12v converter to explore the possibility of replacing it with an inverter charger instead.

Jay
jaynwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #7

Thanks for checking in Jay. Please let us know what you discover.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

The pump noise is definitely coming from under the bed, not under the shower. Didn't get to unscrew bed deck to take pictures. Hope to do that this weekend.

BTW, Did your unit come with a spare tire? Shows as Mandatory in the brochure. Mine doesn't have it. When I questioned it, the dealer got an e-mail from Coachmen stating it was a running change from Ford. Something about curb weight. Of course the brochure has the standard, subject to change without notice.....

Jay
Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #9

Jay, Coachmen Service & Warranty told me that it should be where you hear it under the bed. Mounted vertically by where the bed end angles over to the bathroom door. That is NOT where the pump in my unit is located. I've taken lots of photos to prove my claim to Coachman and to my dealer here in Minnesota.

Now, imagine having to pull off the R/H panel of the bed every year to access the pump to ease winterization, unless they made a hatch. Oh, remove the mattress first, put as much of it as you can shove up over the cab bunk.

Be aware that, for successful bed panel removal, there are also three screws that are accessed from the very back rear storage compartment door. Open the door and immediately look up to see a metal angle bracket to see the screws. By the way, all screws look to be phillips head. A phillips will work, but the heads are actually square head. So, get a square head bit, they work better then the phillips.

Service and Warranty told me to remove that R/H bed panel (among other panels) in my quest to find the pump, which I did. Nope, they were wrong about all panels they suggested I remove! No pump to be found behind any of them. My pump is under the shower area. An early build fxxk up.

No spare tire included. Crawl under and look up under the rear, behind the axle, to see where it mounts. There might be just enough room between the wheel/tire and a grey water tank to fit. Tire tools are in the cab R/H door step, and beefy hydraulic jack is under the passenger seat.

Any other questions, or observations let me know, as I've been inside and all underneath this rig front to rear. Underneath, I tied up lots of dangling wires and wire looms with nylon tie wraps. In fact, I've added lengths of wire looms to wrap up wires or wire bundles in several areas to prevent premature wear. SLOPPY WORK direct from the Coachmen factory.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

On my 20CB the pump is under the bed right against the bath wall at the end where the bath door is. The pump has a strainer and is higher than the low point drains located under the shower (accessible from the back hatch through the white deck plate).

Interestingly, the bed platform looks like it was removed before (factory or dealer?) as 4 of the 8 screws were missing.

I got some good pictures, but need to re-size them when I get home.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #11

Pictures -

One of the tank - pump - wall relationship as taken from the corner foot of the bed

One of the pump, strainer, valves from above and looking behind the pump.

I resized to 1024 x 768 but have much higher res if needed.

Sorry your early build pump is in an awkward/impossible position.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank-Pump-Location-2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	123276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump-Strainer-Valves - 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	123277  
Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #12

Also note that there is an extra bung on the tank with a plug in it. I think I will add a gravity fill port to the outside for dry camping.

Jay
Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #13

WOW! Thanks for all your efforts Jaynwhite! Much appreciated.

My wife and I just returned from a delightful road trip (2200 total miles) to Coachmen for them to place the water pump in it's new (correct) position and for them to attend to a couple of other problems our 20CB had.

What got the ball rolling for us, was the fact that I wrote a letter (sent USPS registered) to Coachmen explaining my whole frustrating situation with my lazy dealer and Coachmen's Warranty and Service Dept.

My letter got an IMMEDIATE response as soon as it was received. Together, Coachmen and I planned a date for us to get the RV in for repairs at their factory in Middlebury IN.

I want to say that EVERYONE at Coachmen we dealt with was friendly, helpful and accommodating. We were in and out of Coachmen in less than a day.

Talking to a few other owners waiting for warranty service, we learned that NO MATTER how much, or little, you spend for your new RV, EVERY class A, C, B or trailer will have initial problems.

During our stay, we toured an assembly line of Freelanders being built. To understand how and why problems could arise, one had to realize that an RV is "hand built" and the way the whole RV industry is structured, problems will arise from human error. No robotics here.

I suggest, if you have a less than competent selling dealer (as we do/did) to deal with warranty problems, go directly to Coachmen for help.

Tags
cat, location, pump, water