Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post

Checked this unit out. Perfect. Except..... the speakers are 4 ohm. I called Phillips tech support and after asking about attaching 8 ohm speakers to their unit was told they can not recommend that. As to just what I might expect as a result I got no help; only that I should not hook up the 8 ohm speakers to the unit.

They did suggest I use their speakers but I can't imagine hanging them from the ceiling with doublebacked tape or slings of some sort. LOL

Disappointing, I thought I had the solution in that model bluray.

Roll
Roll,
I agree with BarryD0706, putting the 8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm unit will not harm it. Putting 4ohm speakers on a system designed for 8 om doubles power draw and increases current which would do harm. In your case it should work. You will just need to have the volume up a bit more than if you used the 4 ohm speakers. Crank it up to insure at the higher levels you do not get distortion. If you do not like the sound...return it. What the article I sent you the link for is saying is that systems designed for 8 ohms or 4 ohms take into consideration the divided equivalent ohms...you do not need to worry about that...it is in the design. What they wanted to stress was the risk of putting 4 ohm speakers on a system designed for 8 ohms doubles the power which increases the current in the power supply which means heat and heat is the enemy! If its a poorly designed power supply it could fail. If it is good design it could handle it...and units at this price level are NOT robust. Now, as to quality of sound, it is subjective...that is, does it sound good to you and your DW. I was a Sonarman on SSN submarines so sound is my strength (I'm too critical). The best description I can give is the more power an amp is capable of means that you have great sound fidelity at the LOWER sound levels/volumes, and low, about 1/3 level is where you want to listen. The more power (level) you use meansyou could start to introduce distortion unless you have a VERY well designed/built amp.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Roll,
I agree with BarryD0706, putting the 8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm unit will not harm it. Putting 4ohm speakers on a system designed for 8 om doubles power draw and increases current which would do harm. In your case it should work. You will just need to have the volume up a bit more than if you used the 4 ohm speakers.....
You know.... it is so helpful to have a place to go to get information about things you just are not sure about.

I appreciate the help and advice from everyone. Very useful and practical comments that give me a direction to go and make me feel confident it is the right thing to do.

Thanks All

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #23
Somewhat right of center

Just my 2 cents. After reading all of the posts, 1nshort pretty much nails it. A few other things, from what I've seen so far with my RV shopping, the entertainment electronics in RV's are junk. "You get what you pay for" really holds true. Don't get me wrong, they'll do but won't last. As for surround, it's "simulated" surround using only stereo (2 Channels left/right) signals. True surround is digital using HDMI/fiber optic/component cables, HDMI is the best/easiest way to go. Component cables are just about obsolete now. Plus, you need a unit that will decode those digital signals. With bluray players you need to realize that they need software updates every few months to keep up with the changing technology. All updates can be done online. Don't get a cheap one either or you'll get the typical freezing up and long load times if it loads at all. Thanks for hearing me out.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Crabbyguy; (Joe), I am going to start a new thread in Tech Support regarding surround sound and digital audio. I am doing this because I don't want to hijack this thread (especially since it is the the Coachman Motorhome section).

I hope you can join me there so I can learn more about surround sound and digital audio.
Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote