Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #1

Changing out std DVD player for Bluray

I’ll post this in the Tech section of the iRV II forms as well, but since there are some experienced folks in this group I thought I might get some help here.

I want to replace the DVD player that came with the Coach. It is a standard DVD; I want a Bluray player since most of my recent collection is Bluray and the coach TVs are all HD.

The problem. The current DVD player has speaker wire receptacles for the theatre sound speakers. So each of the five speakers has two wires run to the cabinet. With a half inch of insulation stripped, they fit into the receptacles at the back of the player.

The Bluray players I’ve looked at have connectors like RCA plugs, or no wire connectors at all since the manufacturer expects you to connect through an amp. The problem may be more difficult since the original DVD player may also be an amp. I don’t think the Bluray players I’ve seen include the amp function.

Any advice or suggestions?

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You'll need to purchase a Home Theatre Bluray Player so the speaker terminals will be there. Chances are you'll get new speakers along with the system that you won't need, but I don't think the players are sold seperately for Home Theatre Systems.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...ater%20systems

Just an example of what I'm talking about.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

BluRay players with RCA plug outputs are "Component" connections.

Routing the Red and White (audio) outputs to your existing surround sound line level inputs and the Green Blue and Yellow RCA (video) outputs to your TV is the way to go. If your TV has HDMI only input; then there are Compontent to HDMI converters that are very inexpensive.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...130309142405:s

WAY cheaper and "movable" to other TVs in the coach.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

I like the Sony BDV_E390, but don't know how well that does as a replacement for what you have.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
BluRay players with RCA plug outputs are "Component" connections.

Routing the Red and White (audio) outputs to your existing surround sound line level inputs and the Green Blue and Yellow RCA (video) outputs to your TV is the way to go. If your TV has HDMI only input; then there are Compontent to HDMI converters that are very inexpensive.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...130309142405:s

WAY cheaper and "movable" to other TVs in the coach.
Using the red & white audio leaves you without surround-sound. Also, I imagine it's hard to find a bluray player without an HDMI output now.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Using the red & white audio leaves you without surround-sound. Also, I imagine it's hard to find a bluray player without an HDMI output now.
I do not believe this is true.
The Surround 5.1 and Dolby signals "ride" on the red and white RCA line level signals. They are extracted by the surround amp.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #7

Sorry Lou, but I really don't think so. I'd love to see a reference if you can find one. There is a lot of information here that may help. The sub-article about "5 ways to connect..." may help most.

Edit: It occurs to me that you may be thinking of something like Dolby Pro-Logic which artificially creates 5 channels of sound from two-channel audio. This is a purely artificial process and doesn't make use of the original source's raw audio (other than two the stereo channels).
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I’ll post this in the Tech section of the iRV II forms as well, but since there are some experienced folks in this group I thought I might get some help here.

I want to replace the DVD player that came with the Coach. It is a standard DVD; I want a Bluray player since most of my recent collection is Bluray and the coach TVs are all HD.

The problem. The current DVD player has speaker wire receptacles for the theatre sound speakers. So each of the five speakers has two wires run to the cabinet. With a half inch of insulation stripped, they fit into the receptacles at the back of the player.

The Bluray players I’ve looked at have connectors like RCA plugs, or no wire connectors at all since the manufacturer expects you to connect through an amp. The problem may be more difficult since the original DVD player may also be an amp. I don’t think the Bluray players I’ve seen include the amp function.

Gary
Roll,
I have an Insignia Brand (Best Buy House brand) at home. It has a digital output which is optical fiber and a coax out which is digital signal using electrical signal. Most surround sound systems have a digital and coax input. Since I have a coach like yours I will check the surround sound amp to see if Coachmen put in one with a digital input. If they did you are in good shape and can use either the optical or coax digital signal to hook up. By the way the Insignia brand is manufactured by Samsung.

Denis (1nshort)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:

Gary
Roll,
Did a double check on some facts. Red and White audio cables do not carry the 5.1 surround signal. They use a common ground and only carry the left and right audio. HDMI will carry the video as well as well as the 5.1 signal. Also as I mentioned in the previous post, the digital (optical) fiber and the Orange Coax carry the 5.1 signal. As it;s a bit late I will check the Encounter surround device to see if it will accomodate fiber/coax/HDMI input. For your bedroom unit you could put in a smaller bluray player and just hook up the HDMI cable.

Denis
Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:

Gary
Gary,
A surround signal 5.1, 6.1 etc is digital. The red and white cables are analog and can not carry the digital signal. There are some systems that will simulate a surroud signal but it is not the same. If anybody wants a real good explanation of the various sound types go to this web site...warning take two asprin first:
http://www.circuitstoday.com/multi-c...-sound-systems
It also has pictures for illustrative purposes...Happy reading!

1nshort
Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:

Gary
Gary, my surround amp is GPX and has a standard dvd player in it so my dealer must have added a bluray for the show and it had a digital input port. GPX is low end and sells as store brand for various locations. It is a US company that has most of its' equipment made in Korea and China. It has minimal inputs/outputs so if your unit came with dvd only...it most likely not have an input for a bluray so you will have to buy a new amp/bluray combo unit. There are quite a few on the market at various price levels. GPX though low end (few options input-output wise), is decent. They have been around since the 70's.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #12

Roll,
A possible solution for the theatre system surround to BluRay could be a Phillips HTS3051BV/F7 unit. Wallymart is one location 198 new, 125 Refurbed. there are others out there.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Roll,
A possible solution for the theatre system surround to BluRay could be a Phillips HTS3051BV/F7 unit. Wallymart is one location 198 new, 125 Refurbed. there are others out there.
Thanks, I'll check Walmart. Best Buy said I had to match impeadence but others have said that 4 or 6 ohms is standard and to just pick a unit and put it in.

I have the GPX DVD player (just a small unit) in the bedroom as an option that came with the coach. Didn't plan on changing that one but since there is no 5.1 speaker system back there, I suppose any inexpensive bluray player would work fine. I have an extra HDMI input on the new TV so, I might just check into that.

The main room has a Coby (this is the one with the built in reciever and FM tuner) and though I don't know much about Coby I suspect it is about the same quality as the GPX.

Sometimes when I start to grumble about the quality of components Coachmen uses or used, I take a look at higher end coaches and feel better when I see the some of the same components in them.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Edit: It occurs to me that you may be thinking of something like Dolby Pro-Logic which artificially creates 5 channels of sound from two-channel audio. This is a purely artificial process and doesn't make use of the original source's raw audio (other than two the stereo channels).
The OP's comment RE RCA connectors lead me to believe he only had component outputs on his player. Most Surround sound amps can decode the analog surround signals "riding" the analog stereo as indicated in "number 5" of the article.

While this is not as "pure" as digital; it is certainly "surround sound."
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The OP's comment RE RCA connectors lead me to believe he only had component outputs on his player. Most Surround sound amps can decode the analog surround signals "riding" the analog stereo as indicated in "number 5" of the article.

While this is not as "pure" as digital; it is certainly "surround sound."

Not correct; I may not have been clear.

My OE Coby has bare wire outputs. I suggested that most of the potential replacement units I had looked at only had RCA or other types of connectors.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #16

Well, I finally made contact with Coby-USA. The speakers are 8 ohm.

I understand I should be able to match up about any player but if I want something that fits exactly I need to find a reciever that is 8 ohm friendly.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Well, I finally made contact with Coby-USA. The speakers are 8 ohm.

I understand I should be able to match up about any player but if I want something that fits exactly I need to find a reciever that is 8 ohm friendly.
Roll,
Here is a good site that explains, ohms (impedence), power, watts and what kind of damage you can do by mixing impedence.
www.prestoneelectronics.com/audio/Impedence.htm
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Roll,
Here is a good site that explains, ohms (impedence), power, watts and what kind of damage you can do by mixing impedence.
www.prestoneelectronics.com/audio/Impedence.htm
Need to drop the last "[dot]htm" to make this link work, for any who want to check out what 1nshort has provided.

Thanks. Still a bit confused. If the 5.1 speaker set are listed at 8 ohms each, then I need a receiver capable of a total impedence of 1.33 (8/6)?

I assume the subwoofer is also 8 ohms.

Or a receiver marked as 5.1 @ 8 ohms each I suppose.

Roll
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Roll,
Checked this unit out. Perfect. Except..... the speakers are 4 ohm. I called Phillips tech support and after asking about attaching 8 ohm speakers to their unit was told they can not recommend that. As to just what I might expect as a result I got no help; only that I should not hook up the 8 ohm speakers to the unit.

They did suggest I use their speakers but I can't imagine hanging them from the ceiling with doublebacked tape or slings of some sort. LOL

Disappointing, I thought I had the solution in that model bluray.

Roll
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #20

I think you will be perfectly fine with that setup. Try it...if you don't like it, return it. 4 driving 8 isn't going to damage the unit.