Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

CHF Question

I have done several searches in several forums trying to find information about the popular Cheap Handling Fix. I have found a few posts saying that the modification is Ford approved but nobody seems to have a reference to a Ford document stating this. My previous MH, a Coachmen Freelander 3150SS was a lot easier to handle that our new Encounter 36BH. I expected some difference in handling but this is more than I feel comfortable with. I want to have the CHF done but I don't want to take a chance on voiding the warranty. I still may get it done and take my chances but I would rather have Ford's approval. Has anyone seen anything from Ford concerning the CHF?
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #2

I haven't seen anything in writing, either, by Ford.

I didn't do the cheap handling fix - just wasn't comfortable with it. Instead, we added a Blue Ox Tiger Trak rear track bar, and a Steer Safe for the front. Definitely made a difference. We didn't think our ride was that bad to begin with, just made it better.

If the difference in handling you're mentioning is lateral side-to-side movement (or the sensation that the rear of the coach is sort of fishtailing) , both of these mods should help with that. You'll still feel wind and large rigs passing as you will in any gas rig no matter what mods are done, but it's very do-able. And, with more and more seat-time in the new rig, it really does get easier!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

The CHF is not a modification to the chassis that would void your chassis warranty. It is simply an adjustment to the link position on the sway bar where Ford has engineered a position for a firmer ride. I made this adjustment to my 2014 F-53 chassis and have no problem publishing that fact. I also added the Helwig links to re-gain the proper angle between the link and the sway bar.
Additionally, I added the BlueOx track bar to firm up the rear end.
On top of that, I installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.
It was the combination of those 3 handling enhancements that produced the desired results. I am now on a journey that has already put 6000 miles on the coach and I am only 1/2 way. I can tell you that the coach is very drivable after the enhancements whereas a 200 mile trip wore me out before.
So my advice is to be brave and go for it. I doubt you will regret it.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Check out Sumo springs, front and rear.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The CHF is not a modification to the chassis that would void your chassis warranty. It is simply an adjustment to the link position on the sway bar where Ford has engineered a position for a firmer ride. I made this adjustment to my 2014 F-53 chassis and have no problem publishing that fact. I also added the Helwig links to re-gain the proper angle between the link and the sway bar.
Additionally, I added the BlueOx track bar to firm up the rear end.
On top of that, I installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.
It was the combination of those 3 handling enhancements that produced the desired results. I am now on a journey that has already put 6000 miles on the coach and I am only 1/2 way. I can tell you that the coach is very drivable after the enhancements whereas a 200 mile trip wore me out before.
So my advice is to be brave and go for it. I doubt you will regret it.
To drivmsafe,

My experience was much like yours I imagine. My first drive, coming home from the dealership in March of 2011, was a white knuckled nightmare. I was sure I had made a huge mistake with that purchase.

Just like Duck, I put a track-bar on the rear axel, a steering shock (Safe-T-Plus) on the front axel, Moved the sway bar links to the inside holes on the anti-sway bars (ASB) and replaced the front links to maintain the front original ASB attitude. I also worked to balance my load and after weighing the coach, corrected tire pressure to the amounts recommended by the tire/weight charts from Michelin specific to the scale weights.

I am reiterating what Duck said because you may be disappointed to find that while the CHF may net you some improvement it is not going to fix all the problems many of us have had and you may be having right now.

Wandering, constant correcting, getting pushed off the road by wind from passing semis and then getting sucked into their draft when they finish the pass. Following uneven pavement, and the fishtail effect when you enter sweeping turns with your toad attached, (oversteer if you're a race fan). These things are all caused by different elements of the suspension and so need individual fixes.

The CHF is cheep at $100 for links (just need to change out the fronts). Tire pressures are just a matter of weighing the coach and looking up the recommendations (not the sticker on the inside of the coach). The Rear track bar, probably the single most important part of this, is the most money at about $500. The steering shock is second at about $250.

I can drive now with one hand though I usually use both. It cruises along and tracks straight except for some very slight pull based on highway crowning. I hardly notice a passing truck however every once in a while one will still tug at the coach just a bit. Our coach is a pleasure to drive and nothing like it was when I drove it home from the dealership.

Hang in there you'll get it sorted out eventually.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

My mistake. I meant to address my above post to Dsurette.

My apology to Drivemsafe, that was a error.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote