Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Coach on a hook....see pic

Ah, the joys of RVing! Yesterday we headed south from Central NY to N.C. to visit our grandkids...and see our granddaughter perform in an advanced music program at East Carolina Univ.

Alas, we got about 30 miles into PA on I-81, when I got a "Low Coolant and Check Engine" alert on the monitors. Within seconds, the "Stop Engine" warning came on and the engine derated and shut down. Fortunately, I was able to drift off an exit ramp. When I got out, there was radiator fluid (surprised it was red) pouring out the rear of the coach....and our toad was splattered with it too!

Bottom line: After getting a tow (via Good Sam Roadside Assistance) to the nearest Freightliner dealer, we found that the upper S-shaped radiator hose had worn through by chaffing on the fan housing. Naturally, its a non-stock item...so waiting on having it shipped from Memphis, TN. Fortunately, we were only 2 hrs from home...so we came back and will wait it out.

Advice: If you have a Cummins engine pusher....take a look at that upper hose and make sure it isn't rubbing on the fan housing. You could wind up like me....and watch your coach being pulled on a hook. BTW...I'd highly recommend the Good Sam program...very prompt...and no cost for the tow.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your breakdown in my backyard. At least it wasn't a major engine issue, but that does seem odd. I wonder if this is a common issue with Cummins, or if you got a fluke. Good luck with the repair!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote