Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Coachmen 20CB Mini Motorhome

I have had my new 20CB for a few weeks now, so I am going to give it a short review.
First, overall, we are very happy with this small motorhome, which is based on the Ford Transit Van.
But, there are some things that Coachmen could have done better. The first thing I noticed, while driving it home, is an issue with the rear view camera system. I did not get any owners manual with this system, so I was on my own trying to figure it out. There are many menu options on the thing. I now have it set, so the rear view is on, whenever the ignition is on. I like knowing what is going on behind me, and this really helps. But, I discovered while driving, whenever I turned on one of the turn indicators, the screen would go blank and would say "no signal." It turns out that this camera system is designed for two optional side view cameras, as well as the rear view camera. And Forest River wired the control module as if there were side cameras installed, but there are no side cameras. I found it really irritating that the monitor would go blank right when I needed it - while changing lanes.
So, I ended up buying two side view cameras, that I am going to have installed next week. The cost was just $100 each, money I would gladly have spent to have Forest River put them on at the factory in the first place.
Other issues, we have decided we didn't like the "J" table. We ended up taking it down and storing it. We just use two TV trays that are much easier to deal with.
One more issue is that this RV came with a DVD player. This DVD player is a piece of junk, couldn't cost more than $20. For another $10, Forest River could have installed a Bu-Ray player, that I could play my Blu-Ray discs with.
These are mostly minor issues, so far, everything seems to be working well.
tomcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

I think that only you modify it, the camera will show the back of your unit only when the transmission is placed on reverse.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
I think that only you modify it, the camera will show the back of your unit only when the transmission is placed on reverse.
In my camera system, which is made by RVS (Rear View Safety), the various menus on the monitor allow you to make changes. I believe there is a setting to do exactly as you say - only show the rear when the vehicle is in reverse. However, at the time of vehicle delivery, I told the dealer that I would like to have the rear view on all the time - so he set it up that way for me.
I ordered side view cameras from RVS, and when I got them, I plugged one of them into the control module, and I got exactly what I wanted. The rear view is on all the time, except when a turn indicator is on, then whatever side corresponds to the turn indicator, that camera comes on. When you turn the turn indicator off, the monitor goes back to showing the rear view.
For me the side view cameras are the most useful, they eliminate the blind spot and I can see much clearer than using the mirrors.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #4

Tom,

Thanks for the information.

Do you know how to change the setting?
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

I am not sure how to make changes, but I believe it can be done with the menus. I also have a remote control, that is pretty much useless - it simply does the same things that the buttons on the monitor do. I didn't get any instructions with this system, but I found some on the RVS website The instructions have a lot of information on installing the unit, but very little on the menu choices. Since mine is doing exactly what I want, I m afraid to make any changes. I did increase the brightness a little, so i could still use it while I had sunglasses on. It may be too bright now for night time, but I rarely drive it at night.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Happy Camper

We own the Coachmen Freelander Micro 2017. I also like being able to see the rearview while driving but it is of very low lighting making it difficult to see. Is this an issue of a low quality system or is there some way to adjust the backlight to make it brighter?
Oompa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, motorhome