Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Coachmen 29DS Rear Slide Travel Bars

I see the caution signs in the bedroom on the rear slide and two bars that were left in the bedroom closet that I thought were closet rods. I checked the manual and assume these are the travel bars but found no reference as to where they go during travel. You would think something that appears important enough to have caution signs posted would have reference in the manual.
Anyone have any better info?
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

There were 2 bars under the bed for the slides when traveling. When the slide is "In" the bar goes on top of the slide fitting snugly to prevent it from opening during travel. There is a huge caution to be aware of:
THE TRAVEL BAR MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE EXTENDING THE SLIDE!!!
I also use the travel bar to prop up the bed to access the storage underneath.

Safe travels

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Checkeredcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
RailwayRog

I recently bought a 2010 Prism with rear slide. I can not find the travel bars, how important are these?
Should I try to buy a new set?
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
I recently bought a 2010 Prism with rear slide. I can not find the travel bars, how important are these?
Should I try to buy a new set?
It depends on which model and what type of slides you have. Schwintec slides do not have travel locks and some other types are self locking as well. That does not mean you cannot use them on any type slide.
Buy them? No, make them out of wood if you need them.

BTW, If you forget to remove them before opening the slide you will do significant damage.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Dahagen

I have a 2013 Mirada 29ds and my neighbor has a 2014 29ds (he liked mine so much he bought one for himself) and neither one of us have slide locks or the warning sticker about the locks. Could the slide locks for the 2012 be for peace of mind, or is the mechanism different?
dahagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Coachmen 29DS Rear Slide Travel Bars

Our Itasca motorhome had hydraulic slides. Sometimes there might be a small leak and the slide would slowly open when driving, then we always used the travel bar lock. We never took chances, the locks were just dowels cut to size with rubber tips on the ends. I hung a sign over the 'Extend Slide' button to remind us not to extend the slide until lock was removed.
I don't know what slide system we have now, but they have never crept open during travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Checkeredcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, slide, travel