Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #1

Coachmen 407FW

I am considering purchasing a Coachmen 407FW. I am looking at a 2020 50th Anniversary Edition.

I have a couple of questions:

Does the 407FW have an external LPG connection for a grill etc... on the passenger's side of the coach?

Does the awning have a wind sensor?

Does the forward bifold door on the bunks also serve as a door to close access to the rear of the coach? In other words close off the hallway from the living area?

How efficient are the 15K AC/HP units in keeping the coach cool and warm?

Any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

I have a 2017 1/2 Sportscoach 407fw I added one on the driver side and run hose under the RV. My Awning does not have a wind sensor. And the bunk doors do not close off the hallway. For the air conditioning the front is a 15,000 and back is 13,500. Last summer we were at the Grand Canyon and it was 100 plus and the inside stayed around 80 degrees,we bought a windshield screen at a camping World close by and that was able to drop temperature to around 76ish. The only time the ac kicked off was around 9 at night time. We have the 360 hp and we get around 8 1/2 miles per gal with generator running full time as we traveled from Louisiana
Micman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:16 AM   #3

Not sure if the 2017 and 2019 are similar but could you possibly answer these questions? I have a 2019 Coachmen Sportscoach 407FW?

1. What is the switch labeled FRONT located on the outside wall of the 2nd restroom next to the other switch which operates the 2nd restroom light ?

2. Where is the power ON/OFF switch for the Winegard RoadTrip T4 Roof mounted satellite located?

3. Does the open/close entry step have a nightlight?

Thank you,

Tony
Just A Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:18 AM   #4

Switch outside bathroom operates the ceiling fan middle of RV the fan door has to be open.
My switch for satellite is located in breaker box above fireplace. And yes on light for steps you have a switch located on panel at enter steps. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mind.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2730.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	219935Attachment 1Attachment 1
Old 11-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Views:	127
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	219936
Old 11-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #6

Views:	131
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	219937Attachment 1
Old 11-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #7

Forget the attachment pictures I did something wrong lol
Old 11-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #8

dstankov, good luck on your decision to purchase the Coachman rig or not. One thing I can say about my Sportscoach is I am really surprised at the quality of construction. When I bought my rig I had people tell me "Oh, you just bought an entry-level DP" and so forth. While looking for a way to plug in and hook up a soundbar for the outside TV I took several draws out of the kitchen cupboards. Surprised at how well and clean the hidden recesses of the rig are. Wiring that goes around corners having plastic channels to hold the wires in place. No spare screws, saw dust or hole saw cut-outs deposits found. Same with the access panel to the water heater tank bypass for winterizing. Clean neat compartment. You often hear check the nooks and crannies of a perspective rig to purchase, I have and I'm impressed.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

MICMAN .....Thank you very much on the replies.

Ok so yes the switch labeled "FRONT" by the 2nd restroom is for the ceiling fan but like you said the top cover has to be open first before it allows the fan to operate.

Turns out i had issues from the factory on power cable to Winegard RoadTrip T4 Roof mounted satellite. Dealer ran a new cable yesterday all ok now. By the way my switch was in that cabinet over the couch where wifi range and tv antenna on/off switch is.

lastly the steps did in fact have an LED clearance light but its kind of silly how it operates. The only way to active it is to have the electric step switch on for operating when entrance door is open/closed. For me i thought it would have been a better idea to have the step light on the same switch that operates the illuminated handrails and inside floor step clearance light but oh well.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 11-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Coachmen 407FW

Anyone happen to have trailer brake controller installed in their coach?

1. was it factory added or was it added by you?
2. If added by you can you give some info on cable wiring and routing for this install?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #11

FYI - On our 2019 Coachmen Sportscoach 407FW did in fact have pre-wiring for the brake controller. Its tucked in well hidden under the driver dash. All you have to do once you find the connector is find the mating Freightliner connector to whatever your brake controller model was.

My specific situation used the connector.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy Trails !!!
Old 04-08-2020, 02:16 AM   #12

Coachmen 407FW Sportscoach

Hello,

Just to add to existing thread about Step LED light operation on Coachmen Sportscoach 407FW. I just added a simple circuit that allowed the STEP Light to turn on with the existing porch light switch located at the entrance lower left area. This way the step works in either manual mode with porch light or automatic mode with electric step function.

Let me know and I can guide you through it, simple fix that i think is so worth it!

P.S. The purple wire is pointless!

Regards,

Just a guy!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #13

Step light

Yes I would love to hear what you have done
Old 04-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #14

Coachmen 407FW Sportscoach - Step Light

I throw this quickly together to give an idea but very minimal key parts. This simple circuit allows the STEP Light to turn on via the existing porch light switch located at the entrance lower left area. Now the step light works in either manual mode by way of porch light switch or automatic mode with electric step function. I used quick connector on the ends that way if for any reason i wanted to remove it, i could do it easily.

key parts:
1. 15amp Diode Axial Schottky Blocking Diodes found on Amazon
2. Butt connectors
3. fuse holder (5 amp fuse or smaller)
4. heat shrink
5. liquid tape
6. Spiral wrap (To protect the diodes overall all)

Pics attached
1. quick circuit sketch
2. final circuit made

P.S. I did this similar circuit for the front daytime running LEDS in the headlight bezel and that turned out awesome very satisfied. I use the circuit that operates the front cap SPORTSCOACH Illuminated logo to now also turn on the 16 front LEDs at same time. Now i have night clearance lights in the front area when ever i want and they accommodate the white underglows nicely. If you recall these small headlight bezel LEDS by factory design only turn on when ignition is on, but not no more

Sorry i missed any details but i can help answer any questions.

Thanks,

Just a guy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1498.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	226551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1496.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	226552  
Old 04-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #15

Thanks will look into this for sure
Old 04-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
MICMAN .....Thank you very much on the replies.

Ok so yes the switch labeled "FRONT" by the 2nd restroom is for the ceiling fan but like you said the top cover has to be open first before it allows the fan to operate.

Turns out i had issues from the factory on power cable to Winegard RoadTrip T4 Roof mounted satellite. Dealer ran a new cable yesterday all ok now. By the way my switch was in that cabinet over the couch where wifi range and tv antenna on/off switch is.

lastly the steps did in fact have an LED clearance light but its kind of silly how it operates. The only way to active it is to have the electric step switch on for operating when entrance door is open/closed. For me i thought it would have been a better idea to have the step light on the same switch that operates the illuminated handrails and inside floor step clearance light but oh well.

Thanks,

Tony

In order to get the steps to light up there is a purple wire coming from the controller for the steps. Run a wire from there to your porch light switch and the step light will stay on when the porch light is on
Glen62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #17

any ideas on how to dump the airbags when you park for the night?
Icq102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen