Old 12-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #11

Mine did NOT have the Phone button, Media Button, Bluetooth or a USB jack. Very basic unit. Look at the one on Page 300 of the 2017 Transit 350HD owners manual for a big laugh. Almost like having an old Am radio.

Replacing regular AC with Heat pump is possible. New Unit maybe $800 plus install. Heat element $51 for the old one. I would do the element for now and in a few years, replace the unit if it needs it. You never know, you may trade the whole MH in a couple/few years for a larger unit and the extra expense would be wasted.

Jay

jaynwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #12

Here is a picture of the radio in our actual unit, unfortunately it is very low resolution. I'm going to try to get a better one, but it does look like it has the 'Phone' and 'Media' buttons (there are 5 buttons down the left side total)

Edit: Just looking at that manual now, based on the layout I'd say ours is either the radio with Sync (page 304) or Sirius (page 306) but I've asked the dealer to confirm. Crossing my fingers that it has Sirius. Maybe the previous owner ordered it with an upgraded radio.

plutoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

Yes, that looks like at least the next grade up from what mine came with. Mine was an early 20cb (raised panel doors on the cabinets, not the flat ones.)
Looks like the next bunch of chassis had the better radio. All the manufacturers buy chassis in big batches. As end buyers, we get no choices on chassis options, just a few coach options. The coach options I remember being available were: Heat Pump, Outside TV, Tank heaters, upgraded mattress and a couple indoor color options. I was going to do a factory order so I could get the heat pump and upgraded mattress, but the factory had switched to the flat cabinet doors by then. My wife wanted the raised panel doors, so we bought the last one on a dealers lot in Ohio a few hundred miles away.

Jay
jaynwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #14

Picked up our 20CB this past weekend, had an uneventful 500 mile drive back home. Will spend the next week getting it inspected and licensed here in Canada. Taking off on an extended journey to Florida and beyond in a couple weeks beyond that.

Unit was winterized when we picked it up and we intend to leave it that way until we get somewhere warmer. The furnace had no issues keeping us warm both nights, even though it got quite chilly and windy on the second one. Still showing 2/3 tank of propane.

Noticed some evidence of mice inside the unit on our second day, so will have to look to remedy those, again once we get somewhere warmer where I can work on the unit more comfortably.

Sure enough we don't have any USB or SirusXM functionality in our radio. I picked up a second hand Kenwood in-dash unit with built-in navigation locally, plan to install it this weekend with a Metra dash kit ordered from Crutchfield.

I have the heat wire on order as well; dealer quoted me $200 to do it there but I figured I'd save the $150 and do it myself, looks pretty straight forward.

Also started calling around for a spare tire to bring on the road, seems 195/75R16 is an oddball size and not carried in many places so not a bad idea to have one on hand in the event of a flat. I will still utilize roadside assistance to get it changed as I don't think I would be able to get the rear dually off very easily.

Lastly I was surprised to find out that there is no inverter in the unit, so none of the 110V outlets work off battery. I thought this was a feature on some of the other units we looked at, I guess this is one way to keep the price down. I purchased a cheap one at our local hardware store but it wouldn't work with our laptop, I guess I need to spend a bit more and get a 'pure sine' one.

It would also be really handy if there was a 12V outlet in the lounge / dining area, how difficult do you think it would be to add one?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #15

20CB after two seasons

Thanks everyone for your posts. I'd like to add my two cents.
After two seasons in our small Class C, I would say we are pretty happy with "Livy". We've had few problems and have made several modifications.

Problems:
-Key Fob didn't work. Ford installed a missing radio assembly and re-programmed the keys.
-Onan 4000 generator started poorly. Found and repaired a sticking choke linkeage myself.
-Rear view camera image was reversed horizontally. Researched the unit and found that there exists a switch on the control assembly. After following the display wires i Found the assembly inside the wall directly behind the drivers head. I also got into the menu of the display and set it to stay on at all times, not just when transmission is in reverse.
-Valve stem extenders on inner rear wheels leaked. Cleaned and re-tightened and added pressure monitoring valve caps. Still dealing with a slow leak.
-Headboard of bed fell off the wall; poor screw selection. I re-installed it with drywall anchors.
-Microwave failed during the second season.
-First winter, mice got in and nested in the utensil drawer and chewed through the heater intake vent louvered cover. Sealed the toilet pipe exit hole above the black tank with chicken wire and expanding foam.

Modifications:
-Replaced the horrible coach (type 24) battery with two Duracell Ultra 24M. Wanted 6v golf cart batteries but they would not fit in the existing battery box.
-Installed a 1000w inverter in the space below the range. Wired the pair of AC outlets by the TV/DVD permanently to the inverter. Very handy when not hooked up to shore power.
-Two 100w solar panels and a controller. Controller mounted under the range with the Inverter. Built a shelf in the side storage where the two solar panels are stored.

-Installed a battery monitor (shunt type) which gives me realtime battery charge.
-Added a folding shelf beside the kitchen sink.
-Added Gas struts on all upper cabinet doors.
-Made a door on the storage box/seat behind the passengers seat where we keep footwear and other odds and ends.
-Built a shelf in the rear storage where we keep the water hose.
-Added Maxair covers on all roof vents.

Finally, the biggest addition is a Smart car toad.

Mid winter here in New England but am dreaming of more fun in the spring.
Woody
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_094435.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	194460   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_094121.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	194461   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_094028.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	194462   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_093851.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	194463   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_144243.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	194464  

Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #16

I forgot to mention front mud flaps, ordered through our local Ford dealer and EASY to install. Lastly, the Transit 350 windshield was being stained by rain dripping off the overcab, an adhesive drip-edge has mostly ended that annoyance.
Happy camping folks!
Woody and Cookie

2017 Coachmen Micro 20CB (Livy)
2015 Smart Fortwo (Huck)
New Hampshire
Old 01-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood2Cook View Post
Key Fob didn't work. Ford installed a missing radio assembly and re-programmed the keys.
Hmm, are you suggesting that the key fob depends on the factory radio to work? I removed my factory radio the other day to install the Kenwood double DIN unit with navigation, I could have sworn the keys still worked. What exactly are the symptoms of a non-working key fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood2Cook View Post
Finally, the biggest addition is a Smart car toad.
Interesting, what is the weight of the smart car rig?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #18

Hi Plutoz, the Ford tech called the missing piece a key fob radio receiver, a component mounted somewhere under the dash. Not the audio radio (which is pretty basic. Perhaps a future upgrade )

2015 Smart Fortwo (Huck)
New Hampshire
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz View Post
Hmm, are you suggesting that the key fob depends on the factory radio to work? I removed my factory radio the other day to install the Kenwood double DIN unit with navigation, I could have sworn the keys still worked. What exactly are the symptoms of a non-working key fob?

Interesting, what is the weight of the smart car rig?
2015 Smart weighs 1,940 at the CAT scales , full gas tank. I did have the class 1 hitch replaced with a beefier class 3, not that I ever plan on utilizing the full class 3 rating.

2015 Smart Fortwo (Huck)
New Hampshire
Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynwhite View Post
I put in a double din Kenwood Head Unit. I went back to my Amazon orders and the Metra parts I used were:

Metra 99-5835G Double/Single DIN Dash Kit For 2015-UP Ford Transit - Gray
Metra 70-5524 Wiring Harness for Ford Fiesta 2011-Up, Power for 4 Speakers
Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles
jaynwhite do you recall any issue with getting a switched 12V power to your head unit using the metra harness? I talked to a guy at our local car audio shop and he said this is an issue with all the Transit based vehicles which have the 4" screen (mine does have one). There is no 12V on the red wire regardless of the ignition key position so the head unit won't switch on. Just wondering if you dealt with this and if you recall how you resolved it. Thanks.

Tags
coachmen