Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

I'm considering purchasing a Freelander. Would you recommend it? Chevy vs. the Ford engine?? Any thoughts or suggestions on what to consider?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Flovern

Chevy hands down. Better gas mileage, more reliable. I drove a Four Winds class C for with a Chevy 6.0 liter Vortec engine for four years. Never had problem with the engine or running gear. I have heard quite a few horror stories about the ford.Floyd Hardy

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing the advice. I've always had a Ford with my personal vehicles so wasn't sure in terms of the motorhome.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

I have a 2014 21QB. it is on the Chevy 4500 Chassis with the 6.0l.

A few things to consider. The Ford may be more likely to have an intergrated brake controller. Check yours before you sign if you need it. Wiring a brake controlled was a huge undertaking because the service information was not available yet, even at the upfitter sites, even on the computer at a GM dealer. PM me if you get in this situation.

If you pick a model that you expect to have a swivel passenger seat, it is not available with the Chevy as shown in the pictures. There are swivel seat bases online, but they require mods for the 2014 Chevy.

My alignment was jacked. It damaged my front tires. GM claims FR needed to adjust at build time. My dealed blames GM, and won't help (they always blame others). If the wheel isn't straight on a straight road, be suspicious.

Some of the Class C Freelanders are available on Ford 350 and Chevy 3500 chassis. They are too close to max weights for me. Personally I'd look for the 450/4500 ones for "21" and up.

My unit had lots and lots of little defects from FR and my dealer has been very little help in fixing them. Almost all of them could have been spotted before delivery. I would check any potential units very carefully, and get the fixes before payment. I'm a month and a half waiting on a fix for a hole in my dinette, as an example.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the insight on the differences. This past week I attended the Forest River Owners Group International Rally (FROG) in Goshen, Indiana and they provided free factory service whether you were in warranty or not while you attended the rally by Forest River techs from all their divisions. You may want to consider going to this rally next year and they will get your unit all fixed up free of charge. Way better than dealing with the dealer and so much faster. Link to the Forest River Frog site below:
FROG - Forest River Owners Group
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #6

We are new to RVing. Purchased our used 2013 Freelander 28QB (no slides) on a 2012 Chev 4500 Workhorse chassis in May. We have taken one trip and will be headed out later this month. Unit drives well and will cruise 55-75 on the highway. You are driving a truck so don't expect a car ride. Wife drove it for about four hours. She is comfortable driving it. I recommend looking at online RV driving videos for a heads up on precautions (especially at the pumps where new drivers are likely to damage their RV). We are pleased with the unit and the interior materials. We like not having carpet on the floor gathering dirt and odors. Smooth floors are easy to sweep especially since the granddogs are with us. The only issue was a leaking shower stall. A bead of silicone around the panels where they join the shower pan fixed it. The step into the side door is a little high at 15-16" (Coachmen needs to find a way to include a retracting step at this door). We purchased a step stool at Walmart for a few $. It works fine but, already left it at a rest area and had to purchase a second one. I have since installed a manual step. Not perfect but we won't be leaving it somewhere. The construction at the bottom of the side door can make step installation a challenge (The dealer told me that they could not install a step). We are pleased with the queen bed in our unit. It is against the back wall and is a walk around which is better than a corner bed. However, it is not centered and the narrow side is tight. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #7

We have a 2014 Freelander 28QB (no slides) and like the layout for wife and two kids. Last year we put 20,000 miles on our Forest River Sunseeker with a chevy chassis. It was very reliable and that is why we went Chevy again. My power cord door broke off day one but I fixed it before the dealer mailed out a replacement. I have tinted all windows with a special tint to block heat. I am enjoying the newer 6 speed transmission on our current model. Next improvement will be new Michelin tires. Hope you get one soon.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

Thanks for sharing your insights.