Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #21
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
There is 12v power at the vent for the FF so you might be able to snake a cable back down the chase using them as a guide. Not sure which way they run. The AC in the bedroom mod isn't on my list.

Thanks,I hope that plan works out...If I can get the wires down to the 12v box, I can make it work from there..
I pulled the vent trim today. Looks like a fair sized chase on the forward side of the vent. The 12 volt wires are fed from the right hand side of the unit. So getting them across to the cabinet wall should not be a problem at all.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #22
World Wide Wanderer

Tbonz...

While I am thinking about it.

You are probably going to want to add insulation to your cap area if you are considering adding a second A/C unit. There is very little up there. My game plan is to use duct insulation hangers (pins), glue them directly to the fiberglass shell, then use 2" foil faced fiberglass duct insulation. I had considered gluing it directly to the fiberglass using construction adhesive but not sure how well that would hold up. I know this will. The only way to access the area behind the cap is to pull the speakers and the TV... or the entire entertainment unit. I am going the speaker and TV route.

Aaron

Old 07-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #23
Land of the Midnightsun

I have some ac news on one ac on our 300ds. ( hey Aaron wanted to say hi. We've been out and about putting few miles on Moho ) We also from Tex tbonz west Tex but we were over in fredricksburge for the 4th and was park in the wide open sun. Temp was about 104 and I'm sure the sun temp on Moho was 125 plus. Our ac would only drop inside temp to 84-83. So we are going to put another ac unit over the bedroom and I will just run another drop cord for it I hope we can dodge the Tex sun in future but will be glad to have extra ac
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #24

Thanks

Wahoonc and jjspeedwagon--thanks for the replies. I will be adding insulation to the top cap and also a rear ac if I can get the wire ran ,I am optimistic. We are getting anxious to pick the rig up on Thursday.. Keep the thoughts and recommendations coming. Wahoonc , I had never seen the insulation hangers but I believe that if they were glued with fiberglass they would be the way to go..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I have some ac news on one ac on our 300ds. ( hey Aaron wanted to say hi. We've been out and about putting few miles on Moho ) We also from Tex tbonz west Tex but we were over in fredricksburge for the 4th and was park in the wide open sun. Temp was about 104 and I'm sure the sun temp on Moho was 125 plus. Our ac would only drop inside temp to 84-83. So we are going to put another ac unit over the bedroom and I will just run another drop cord for it I hope we can dodge the Tex sun in future but will be glad to have extra ac

Be sure to keep me posted on the additional AC project ..Thanks.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Grumpy, I am a hands on do it myselfer..I did talk to Mike at FR warranty..He said I do have two dealers in town that I could use for major warranty issues..A large amount of the problems I can handle myself..Thanks for your reply..
"I can handle myself."

That is what FR and most other RC companies are counting on. They know they build stuff with lots of problems and IMO are betting you will not discover them before warranty runs out or do not want to wait months for a $5 part to be replaced or you don't want to drive hours each way to dealer for a 20 minute job that takes them all day to get to even though you scheduled the repair weeks before.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #27

Quote:
jj,now the concern is the roof strength..I believe it will be ok since it is aluminum..I will probably install a Dometic 13,500 unit which ,I believe,weighs in at 74 lbs..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #28
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
jj,now the concern is the roof strength..I believe it will be ok since it is aluminum..I will probably install a Dometic 13,500 unit which ,I believe,weighs in at 74 lbs..
There is plenty of framing around the vent opening, you will see it when you pull off the vent interior trim. I hope A/C fits a standard vent opening...

Aaron

Old 07-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Tbonz...

While I am thinking about it.

You are probably going to want to add insulation to your cap area if you are considering adding a second A/C unit. There is very little up there. My game plan is to use duct insulation hangers (pins), glue them directly to the fiberglass shell, then use 2" foil faced fiberglass duct insulation. I had considered gluing it directly to the fiberglass using construction adhesive but not sure how well that would hold up. I know this will. The only way to access the area behind the cap is to pull the speakers and the TV... or the entire entertainment unit. I am going the speaker and TV route.

Aaron
I have been looking at a do-it -yourself spray insulation kit for only $264.00..This looks like a better option for insulating the top cap..I have this closed cell insulation in my shop and it is great..What do you think??

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-06-2016, 04:56 AM   #30
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
I have been looking at a do-it -yourself spray insulation kit for only $264.00..This looks like a better option for insulating the top cap..I have this closed cell insulation in my shop and it is great..What do you think??
I haven't messed much with spray foam insulation other than Great Stuff... and I made a helluva mess using that!

Nothing wrong with spray foam if it will do the job. For me one concern would be how much flexing can it take? The other can you put it in without making a mess? I have insulated a few ducts in my day so I am going with the devil I know, so to speak. Also there are a couple of wires that run through the cap, with the fiberglass batts I can remove it if I need to access them.

Aaron

Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #31
World Wide Wanderer

Forgot to mention that the pins, adhesive and foil faced insulation is less than $100. My Scottish heritage is showing through.

Aaron

Old 07-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #32
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Just for the record... it was 95° here the other day and I measured the skin temperature, in direct sunlight it was around 140° What was interesting was the temperature differences between the different colors of the paint. It ranged from low 100's on the light colors to the 140 on the dark stuff. I used a non-contact infrared thermometer that I have. Interior temps were holding near 80 with the thermostat set on 76°. I did some spot checks with the thermometer on the interior walls, a couple checked in at 95° with most in the upper 80's. I am also making some window inserts out of Reflectix.

Aaron

Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Just for the record... it was 95° here the other day and I measured the skin temperature, in direct sunlight it was around 140° What was interesting was the temperature differences between the different colors of the paint. It ranged from low 100's on the light colors to the 140 on the dark stuff. I used a non-contact infrared thermometer that I have. Interior temps were holding near 80 with the thermostat set on 76°. I did some spot checks with the thermometer on the interior walls, a couple checked in at 95° with most in the upper 80's. I am also making some window inserts out of Reflectix.

Aaron
That temperature difference is why I am a very strong proponent of White tire covers to protect against UV damage but IMO the more important to lower the tire temperature while parked to decrease the structural damage done to the rubber by excess heat.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #34
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Be sure to keep me posted on the additional AC project ..Thanks.
I got second ac put up. I posted some pics and what I did over on your ac thread I hope it posted ok.
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #35
Land of the Midnightsun

Our worst area for heat is cab area I ordered a roll of the double bubble reflective stuff. ( can't think of right name ) but anyhow gonna cut to fit for front windshield and both side door Windows I let Moho heat up over 100 degrees inside. Threw on both ac's and with in 2 hrs inside temp was 73 and falling. No cover on windshield just bare glass. Impressed me. Outside temp ambeant was 102 and sun was full on Moho so with insulation block in windshield and side glass. I think 2nd ac gonna give us what ever temp we need
Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #36

JJ

JJ what BTU did you add.. ? I ran the wire for mine today and about to order a Dometic 15K . Hope to have it up and running in short order..Did you do the install yourself ? The folk here wanted $1600.00 to do the job I can beat that by half..The hard part was running the wire..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #37

Wahoonc, we got the new rig home and if I can figure it out I will post a pic..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #38
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
JJ what BTU did you add.. ? I ran the wire for mine today and about to order a Dometic 15K . Hope to have it up and running in short order..Did you do the install yourself ? The folk here wanted $1600.00 to do the job I can beat that by half..The hard part was running the wire..
I got 13,500 btu. I posted most details on your ac thread. Dometic ac
Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #39
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	113992

Also ran LED'S down each side of frame rails today. They will turn any color ya want. Suppose to be water proof. We will see. But gonna run a strip next to Moho under awning then another strip on roller for awning
Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 AM   #40
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Wahoonc, we got the new rig home and if I can figure it out I will post a pic..
Sweet! Enjoy!

Aaron

Tags
coachmen