Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #21
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
There is 12v power at the vent for the FF so you might be able to snake a cable back down the chase using them as a guide. Not sure which way they run. The AC in the bedroom mod isn't on my list.

Thanks,I hope that plan works out...If I can get the wires down to the 12v box, I can make it work from there..
I pulled the vent trim today. Looks like a fair sized chase on the forward side of the vent. The 12 volt wires are fed from the right hand side of the unit. So getting them across to the cabinet wall should not be a problem at all.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #22
World Wide Wanderer

Tbonz...

While I am thinking about it.

You are probably going to want to add insulation to your cap area if you are considering adding a second A/C unit. There is very little up there. My game plan is to use duct insulation hangers (pins), glue them directly to the fiberglass shell, then use 2" foil faced fiberglass duct insulation. I had considered gluing it directly to the fiberglass using construction adhesive but not sure how well that would hold up. I know this will. The only way to access the area behind the cap is to pull the speakers and the TV... or the entire entertainment unit. I am going the speaker and TV route.

Aaron

Old 07-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #23
Land of the Midnightsun

I have some ac news on one ac on our 300ds. ( hey Aaron wanted to say hi. We've been out and about putting few miles on Moho ) We also from Tex tbonz west Tex but we were over in fredricksburge for the 4th and was park in the wide open sun. Temp was about 104 and I'm sure the sun temp on Moho was 125 plus. Our ac would only drop inside temp to 84-83. So we are going to put another ac unit over the bedroom and I will just run another drop cord for it I hope we can dodge the Tex sun in future but will be glad to have extra ac
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #24

Thanks

Wahoonc and jjspeedwagon--thanks for the replies. I will be adding insulation to the top cap and also a rear ac if I can get the wire ran ,I am optimistic. We are getting anxious to pick the rig up on Thursday.. Keep the thoughts and recommendations coming. Wahoonc , I had never seen the insulation hangers but I believe that if they were glued with fiberglass they would be the way to go..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I have some ac news on one ac on our 300ds. ( hey Aaron wanted to say hi. We've been out and about putting few miles on Moho ) We also from Tex tbonz west Tex but we were over in fredricksburge for the 4th and was park in the wide open sun. Temp was about 104 and I'm sure the sun temp on Moho was 125 plus. Our ac would only drop inside temp to 84-83. So we are going to put another ac unit over the bedroom and I will just run another drop cord for it I hope we can dodge the Tex sun in future but will be glad to have extra ac

Be sure to keep me posted on the additional AC project ..Thanks.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Grumpy, I am a hands on do it myselfer..I did talk to Mike at FR warranty..He said I do have two dealers in town that I could use for major warranty issues..A large amount of the problems I can handle myself..Thanks for your reply..
"I can handle myself."

That is what FR and most other RC companies are counting on. They know they build stuff with lots of problems and IMO are betting you will not discover them before warranty runs out or do not want to wait months for a $5 part to be replaced or you don't want to drive hours each way to dealer for a 20 minute job that takes them all day to get to even though you scheduled the repair weeks before.

Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
jj,now the concern is the roof strength..I believe it will be ok since it is aluminum..I will probably install a Dometic 13,500 unit which ,I believe,weighs in at 74 lbs..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #28
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
jj,now the concern is the roof strength..I believe it will be ok since it is aluminum..I will probably install a Dometic 13,500 unit which ,I believe,weighs in at 74 lbs..
There is plenty of framing around the vent opening, you will see it when you pull off the vent interior trim. I hope A/C fits a standard vent opening...

Aaron

Old 07-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Tbonz...

While I am thinking about it.

You are probably going to want to add insulation to your cap area if you are considering adding a second A/C unit. There is very little up there. My game plan is to use duct insulation hangers (pins), glue them directly to the fiberglass shell, then use 2" foil faced fiberglass duct insulation. I had considered gluing it directly to the fiberglass using construction adhesive but not sure how well that would hold up. I know this will. The only way to access the area behind the cap is to pull the speakers and the TV... or the entire entertainment unit. I am going the speaker and TV route.

Aaron
I have been looking at a do-it -yourself spray insulation kit for only $264.00..This looks like a better option for insulating the top cap..I have this closed cell insulation in my shop and it is great..What do you think??

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-06-2016, 04:56 AM   #30
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
I have been looking at a do-it -yourself spray insulation kit for only $264.00..This looks like a better option for insulating the top cap..I have this closed cell insulation in my shop and it is great..What do you think??
I haven't messed much with spray foam insulation other than Great Stuff... and I made a helluva mess using that!

Nothing wrong with spray foam if it will do the job. For me one concern would be how much flexing can it take? The other can you put it in without making a mess? I have insulated a few ducts in my day so I am going with the devil I know, so to speak. Also there are a couple of wires that run through the cap, with the fiberglass batts I can remove it if I need to access them.

Aaron

Tags
coachmen