Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Coachmen Mirada 35DL

I currently own a 2000 Coachmen Mirada 34mbs. I like the coach a lot and have put over 5000 miles on it since I bought i at Thanksgiving, but I keep thinking I woud like to have a new unit. I have found a brand new 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL at the dealership where I bought my 2000.

I really like the layout of the 35dl with the 1.5 baths and the way the unit is almost broken up into three different areas with a kitchen, living, and bedroom layout. I also like the Cognac cabinetry and the overall look of the unit. I like that the 2013 has rear & side view cameras. I also like that it has 50 amp service and flush mount air conditioners. I am a little worried that there are two black tanks, no ATS, and a TPO roof vs the EPDM on the 2000. I like that the 2013 has two house batteries vs only the one in the 2000. I also like the flat floor in the 2013 vs the raised platforms for the driving area, the sofa, and dinette in the 2000. The fit and finish seems much better in the 2013, but to be honest, the 2000 has held up amazingly well for something 13 years old.

Is there anyone out there in iRV2 land that has this same unit? Is it going to be as dependable as my 2000 has been? Both are built on the F53 chassis and handle very similarly, although the 2013 is much much much quieter than my 2000. The 2013 is going to cost me about $60k more than my 2000, so I want get a feel for what others think of the unit. Thanks in advance for your input!!!!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

Two black tanks? Never heard of that. Are you sure its not one tank for waste and one for your sinks/shower?

EDIT: Oh, the second waste tank is because of the rear bath, is that it?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

Yes, it looks like it is for the rear toilet. I guess it makes sense. To get the black material from one end of the machine to another would require a pump and that would probably be a bad idea. I assume the rear sink and shower dump into a single grey tank as it is just water, but I don't know that for sure at this point.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #4

Nelsonc,
Hello. I doubt I can answer your question, but I can backup what you are saying.
My wife and I have had two travel trailers since 2001. We have been looking at Motor Homes since about 2007, and dreamed of when we might find the "perfect" MH that we could afford.
Having looked at MH's for several years at the Harrisburg, PA and the Timonium, MD shows, we pretty much know what we are looking for.
Several years ago, Fleetwood offered a bounder that incorporated the rear full bath behind the master bedroom. From that time on, she knew that she would want that feature in a MH if we ever got one. Since then, several manufacturers have begun to include models with the 1-1/2 bath feature.
We saw the Coachmen 35DL at an RV show in Maryland in February. She fell in love with the layout. Incidentally, the Fleetwood Bounder's 35K is almost identical in layout, amenities, and price to the 35DL. However, the nearest Fleetwood dealer is over 150 miles away, while the Coachmen dealer has (3) dealerships within 40 miles from me. We decided, for this reason only, to zoom in on the Coachmen. The show took place over a two weekend timeframe, so we were able to go home, think about it, run the numbers, talk about it some more, and then return the following weekend to talk seriously with the salesman. Fortunately, a factory rep was also there and we chatted at length. Greg was very knowledgeable and provided much insight and "extra" info about the unit.
Soooo, we took the plunge and ordered a new 35DL... much for the same reasons that you mentioned in your post. The coach is expected to be completed from the factory next week, so we are getting a bit excited.
The only thing my wife (so far) is a bit disappointed with is the lack of counter space in the kitchen area, but we found that was true with a great many motor homes in our price range. We did ask for a cover for the stove (which will add some useful counter space) and they have given us that. We asked for and got a gas/electric water heater to replace the gas only standard version, and Maxair vent covers for the roof as well as the added optional electric fireplace. We were very impressed with the coach as displayed at the show. Most all amenities were included in the standard configuration. There was little to add on. For a price in the low 90's, this coach seems to have everything we want, and more. Only time will tell how well the coach holds up.
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Brake Buddy (proportional)
ekuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

I went ahead and bought the unit. Took it for the maiden voyage this weekend. Have found and fixed a few issues, but nothing major. Most scary was that the aiming of the headlights was waaaay off. Couldn't even see more than 20 feet in front off the coach. Fortunately they are pretty easy to aim, but I will have to wait until it gets dark.

One thing I can't understand: The CD player only is putting out composite video and it is extremely time consuming to get to the back of the TV to add additional devices to it like an AppleTV or to connect it to a video game or a Bluray player with Netflix. One cool thing: The CD player in the living room does go to the outside TV. But not the one in the bedroom. Go figure.

Love it so far!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #6

Congratulations on the new rig!!!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #7

Nelson,
Glad you had only a few issues. The headlight aiming is not one I would have expected to be a problem.
I am assuming you are talking about DVD players connected to the TV's (not CD players, although you can play CD's on these).
Are you saying that the DVD player has no HDMI or Component outputs?
As for the DVD players, I was under the impression that the bedroom TV had it's own DVD player, so that the bedroom and the living area could each run DVD's individually and concurrently.
Do the TV's not have any input jacks on the sides of the TV's so you can plug in a video game or Blue-Ray player without having to get to the back of the TV's?
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuhlman View Post
Nelson,
Glad you had only a few issues. The headlight aiming is not one I would have expected to be a problem.
I am assuming you are talking about DVD players connected to the TV's (not CD players, although you can play CD's on these).
Are you saying that the DVD player has no HDMI or Component outputs?
As for the DVD players, I was under the impression that the bedroom TV had it's own DVD player, so that the bedroom and the living area could each run DVD's individually and concurrently.
Do the TV's not have any input jacks on the sides of the TV's so you can plug in a video game or Blue-Ray player without having to get to the back of the TV's?
You are correct, I meant DVD players. What I have found is that the DVD player (in the cabinet above the passenger seat) is connected to the living room and outside TV's using composite video rather than HDMI. This is OK, but the quality is going to be less than I would like.

All three TV's are mounted directly to plates which are then screwed to the panel it is mounted to. I was able to get an HDMI cable mounted to the TV in the living room but I needed to loosen 10 screws to get enough room to plug the cable in. Then tighten them back up. Not too hard, but it could have been easier.

I may mount an HDMI dvd player in the cabinet above the TV living room to get better quality. I don't see a need for better quality on the outside tv. There is no DVD player connected to the TV in the bedroom. I will have to dismount the TV in the bedroom, drill a hole into a nearby cabinet and then mount a DVD player into it. Not a big deal, but I am definitely buying a power screwdriver after this weekend!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #9

Here are pictures of the old and new units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2246133187.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	28566   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3266901065.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	28571  
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #10

Looks great! One thing I really like that Coachmen does is all the extra foot room by the passenger side seat! It's great!

Many happy miles to you!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #11

go6car,
You might tell nelsonc about the transmitter receiver system you are using. All they would have to do is use a HDMI switcher as input to the transmitter and then they could have multiple sources sent to their 'other' TV's in HD.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #12

Hey, looks great !!
I figure mine will look just like it.
BTW, do you know when your new coach was built ?
I'm curious as to just how similar (or different) our coaches are. When I viewed 2013's from different sources on the internet, I saw some differences that didn't have anything to do with options, or color/pattern schemes.
Where did you get your coach from, and where do you live ?
Ed
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
go6car,
You might tell nelsonc about the transmitter receiver system you are using. All they would have to do is use a HDMI switcher as input to the transmitter and then they could have multiple sources sent to their 'other' TV's in HD.

Good point. I used Actiontec's system (pricey, but worth it for what we were trying to do - see my other thread on here about hooking up a DISH Tailgater).

MyWirelessTV Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit - MWTV200R, MWTV200T
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
MI Camperz

Really Nice! Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuhlman View Post
Hey, looks great !!
I figure mine will look just like it.
BTW, do you know when your new coach was built ?
I'm curious as to just how similar (or different) our coaches are. When I viewed 2013's from different sources on the internet, I saw some differences that didn't have anything to do with options, or color/pattern schemes.
Where did you get your coach from, and where do you live ?
Ed
Just noticed that you wanted to know build date. Looks like it was 8/28/12. Wow, been sitting around since last fall.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #16

Hello... New to this forum. We have a 2013 Mirada 35DLF also. The 1.5 bath is the best part! But hopefully one of you can answer a question - on the passenger side A/C vents - I just cannot get them to close off all the way. Sometimes husband likes it cooler and I'm freezing. No matter what way I turn them, I still get air.

On a side note, my husband altered the TV in the bedroom also. You can't lay in the bed and watch TV that is pointing straight ahead. He removed it, put some stand outs, and a tilt then snugged it down. Really nice now.

Anyway, TIA for any assistance.

Lori/Dave
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlekuin View Post
Hello... New to this forum. We have a 2013 Mirada 35DLF also. The 1.5 bath is the best part! But hopefully one of you can answer a question - on the passenger side A/C vents - I just cannot get them to close off all the way. Sometimes husband likes it cooler and I'm freezing. No matter what way I turn them, I still get air.

On a side note, my husband altered the TV in the bedroom also. You can't lay in the bed and watch TV that is pointing straight ahead. He removed it, put some stand outs, and a tilt then snugged it down. Really nice now.

Anyway, TIA for any assistance.

Lori/Dave
I noticed that the blacks were not very clear on the bedroom tv which I assumed was due to the angle. I have one of those tilt mounts too. Maybe I'll install it.

Regarding the vents, my friend just uses a blanket. Car or coach, it doesn't matter. I always keep it colder than she likes. Get some funny looks running down the road, her in her blanket and it in the mid 70's out. :-)
Old 05-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
I noticed that the blacks were not very clear on the bedroom tv which I assumed was due to the angle. I have one of those tilt mounts too. Maybe I'll install it.

Regarding the vents, my friend just uses a blanket. Car or coach, it doesn't matter. I always keep it colder than she likes. Get some funny looks running down the road, her in her blanket and it in the mid 70's out. :-)
Hahhaha..well, I'm good with using a blanket. I thought I was just missing something not being able to close them.

Re: the TV, I know my husband had to do some drilling and tightening it down was a bear so if you run into issues, perhaps he can give some suggestions.

Thanks much for the info.

Lori
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #19

I have run into a few serious issues since my last post. The biggest of which is the dinette slide is no longer seating properly. Also have some issues with the headlights, windshield washers, shower doors and damage to one of the storage compartment doors. I also have a leak in the wet bay that needs to be corrected. The unit is currently at the dealer awaiting repairs. Wish me luck in getting the unit back before Memorial Day!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #20

marada issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
I have run into a few serious issues since my last post. The biggest of which is the dinette slide is no longer seating properly. Also have some issues with the headlights, windshield washers, shower doors and damage to one of the storage compartment doors. I also have a leak in the wet bay that needs to be corrected. The unit is currently at the dealer awaiting repairs. Wish me luck in getting the unit back before Memorial Day!!
Nelsonc,
The headlights are minor, they were not aligned from the factory. Ours was brought up 4 clicks and that settled the light problem. The wiper/washers you will have to live with...they are weak. I am working on a solution. When I have some news I will publish details and pictures. What is the problem with the shower doors?
The slide could just be an adjustment to the cables...anything else will take some time to fix and hopefully no seal problems. We had a similar problem but a seal was damaged..took a month (dealers were busy).
Good luck for Memorial day, hope you make it.