Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Coachmen Mirada Control Panel Switch

I've looked all over and it appears I'm the only one that doesn't know what this switch is for or how to use it. I have a 2012 Coachmen Mirada 32ds. One the control panel next to the slide switches there is a switch labeled "Manual Override". I assume it's to somehow apply some extra oomph to the slideouts but I can't determine why or how you would use this function of the control panel. All the manual override for slides I can find refer to using a drill, ratchet, or wrench to operate the motor "manually". I finally gave up and thought someone here could point me to some documentation or instructions on this unknown to me functionality.

Thank you,
Don Whaley
Jacksonville, FL
Dwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

http://coachmenrv.com/OwnersManuals/14141708.pdf

Try this link. This is all I could find on the manual override system for the slide outs. It may apply to my Coachmen Encounter as I have the manual override switches also. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

Switch

Assuming your panel looks like ours on the same rig (2012) the switch is for that dreaded day when your slide does not slide. Someone more experienced than I will chime in to explain further I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-29-14%20095.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	117436  

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Yes. Mine looks exactly like that. The link that redneck 92 provided showed a methodology they employed prior to 2010 which involved having someone hold that switch in while manually turning the pump shaft. I reviewed once again my 2012 owners manual and could find no mention of that switch or how it is supposed to function. It worries me that should the day occur when I need to retract the slides manually, and follow the procedure in my owners manual, I might damage the slide motor.

Thank you for your replies.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Looked at that manual, and mine, and I haven't got a clue either. I think my bedroom manual control is under the bed behind a carpeted panel that I have to remove. The living room/galley one I "think" I have to cut the carpet under the dinette and remove a wooden panel to access the nut to manually retract the slider. Really, really stupid design if this is so. Couldn't they have just put in a plastic plug that you remove to insert the socket wrench? And then tell you where the darn this is?
Old 08-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #6

I also have never found the fuses or resets for the 3 slides on my coach.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Manual Override

If you need to get your rooms out manually, this switch will release the electric brakes.
bmaggin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

Really?

Does that apply to pushing them closed as well?
Old 08-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #9

You can contact the individual below and get all the information or questions that you have answered.

Nate Hedges
Service & Warranty Manager
Coachmen RV / Plant 310
Direct # 574-825-8212
Coachmen "Class A" Service
bmaggin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

Been there done that, he sent me links to a dozen vendor configurations and none of them showed how to open or close the sliders manually.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:53 PM   #11

So I came up on this post. Now I have to ask did anyone find out how to use the switch? I have a 2012 32ds it might be wise if I know what to do if my slides don't want to come in.
Bullitt92223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #12

Not much in the form of documentation, but what I've determined by poking around is
1. My slides are operated by electric motor and not by hydraulics as I had assumed from reading the owners manual.
2. The manual override switch does cause a "click" to be heard in the slide mechanism which leads me to believe the override is to override the safety measures built into the mechanism. Not sure if that is brakes or gears.
3. I can't get to the bedroom slide mechanism from underneath the coach, so I'm pretty sure access to it will be from under the bed. (Probably have to cut out the carpet) but I haven't had a chance to verify that.
4. The living area slide has a manual access from the hydraulics compartment and requires a 1/2 inch ratchet, short extension and 3/4 inch socket to operate. I've added these three items to my limited RV toolkit.
5. I haven't tried to manually move the slide yet so I do not if a single press of the override switch will be sufficient or if someone will need to hold it down.
6. So PLAN A.
if I happen to find myself in the situation where the slide will not retract, if I have power I will hold the override switch to release the safeties and press the slide in button. If I do not have power I will try to move it manually from outside, and have the wife on handheld radio to press and release or press and hold as seems necessary at the time.

Sorry I don't have a real answer. But I do agree with bmaggin1 that it releases either an electric brake or some other type of safety.
Hopefully none of us will ever find ourselves in this predicament, I just needed a plan and the owners manual isn't worth the paper I printed it on.

Happy camping always!
Old 10-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #13

On my 2013 Mirada 29 SE, I can state that if you unscrew the panel under the bed you can see the slider mechanism and the nut to turn (didn't try it). I can't find an access panel or anything for the living room slider, I "think" I have to cut the carpet under the dinette and pull up a panel.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #14

Dwhaley thank you for that input. I will have to take some time and get me a little set up just for the slide. Then I will get the wife and do a test run just incase it ever get stuck out. This will make me happy to know that in a pinch I can get on the road and home. The bedroom slide is under the bed all you have to do is fine the 4 screws that hold the cover on and you can see all the slide stuff.

On a side note how do you like the 32ds? What if any mods have you done?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #15

Not much really in the form of modifications. Mostly cosmetic stuff. tile backsplash on the counters, fantastic fan vents with thermostats in kitchen and bath, Satellite TV, new butcher block table top for dinette. Toad-Charge system and the associated toad braking setup. Removed the extra recliner chair for more room but kept the ottoman and added a hinged top to the stairwell to keep from falling in it and finally I'm currently Replacing all the curtains with day/night shades. Overall it's been very dependable and suits our needs nicely. DW wants next one to have King bed, residential Fridge, and additional half bath. Hopefully that's a way down the road.

Have Fun!
Old 10-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #16

Ok I have 2?s. First the fantastic fan that you put in the kitchen did it have power already ran over to where the vent is? Next one is the satellite system what did you go with and where did you mount, I have been thinking about the king tailgater and maybe mounting on the roof.

Thank you
Jon
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #17

The power vent is installed on centerline between the stove and the dinette so I can use it as a vent hood and on the ceiling it is centered between the two ceiling lights and power is available. The satellite is a winegard roadmaster stationary roof mounted also center line on the roof next to the shower skylight. I have directv at home so adding the receiver to my account only costs 5 bucks a month.
I've had really good luck with this setup but there are some disadvantages to having a roof mount in that you have to make sure you can position your rig away from trees and have a clear view of the southern sky. In one case backing my rig up 20 ft solved the problem but I'm looking to add a carry out satellite for those times. Also This particular satellite does not receive HD programming, but what the heck I am roughing it after all.

Good Luck.
Don
Old 10-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #18

After emailing Nate Hedges he informed me the slides are on Thermal breakers under the steps on our 2013 Coachmen Encounter 34 TA. I looked and sure enough. Hope this helps someone. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #19

Thermal breakers? Are they reset able or do you have to replace them. I.E. Should I add a few to my toolbox?
Old 10-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #20

From what I understand, they reset once they have cooled. I have a couple of spares which I picked up at an automotive supply store. I know they make some re-settable types also.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
coachmen, switch