Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Coachmen Prism 2150LE

We are first time RV'rs. Both hubby and I were raised in trailers but after 35 yrs have decided we now need a motorhome. Decided for our style a smaller one would fit us well. Narrowed down to Solera 24S, Coachman Prism 2150LE, and the Coachman Leprechaun (22'). We decided that we definitely like the diesel sprinter that the Solera & Prism offer. Also we like the lightness that the Prism offers as well as the openness of the cab. It doesn't feel so all encasing when sitting in the driver seat.

I would really appreciate any comments, likes/dislikes, problems, etc that anyone can offer. We really want to do this one time "right" instead of multiple times wrong. I would not be crushed to choose one over another of the 3 listed above.

Thank you so much for your 'wisdom'.
Signmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #2

We have a 2011 Prism and have enjoyed it very much. It's maneuverable, easy to drive (a condition my wife insisted upon) and meets our traveling needs so don't be put off by my negatives below. We've been to Florida, Atlanta, Toronto and New England. Last year we spent a month going to 11 National Parks out west and will be heading to Vancouver next month. We are now getting between 13 and 15 mpg. We started out tent camping then moved up to a pop-up trailer and now this (and my first diesel). The unit is pretty well self contained but we've added things. If you're going to use the dealer for all your maintenance then no problems. I like to take care of maintenance myself though.
This Prism did not come with an inverter so I added a second battery and installed a 1000 watt pure sine inverter connected to the batteries. I also carry a 130W portable solar panel to recharge the batteries when we're dry camping.
I'm pretty handy but a big irritation is the plumbing set up (for winterizing and sanitizing). The manual that came with the unit was generic and not specific to the Prism layout. It took several emails to Forest River for assistance (they were helpful though). After removing some rear panels I found the water pump (under the shower) and installed a winterizing valve near the pump. I'm still trying to figure out the 3 valve (located under the refrigerator) system!
I suspect all units will have things you'll want to modify but there are a number of helpful blogs (RVtravel.com) and forums (rvforum.net and this one!) and YouTube videos that will answer most of your questions (you won't be the first to ask a question). Happy traveling.
roncurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

This is an old thread but I'll chime in. I own a 2009 Prism M230 with a Mercedes diesel on a Freightliner chassis. I'm not crazy about the roof design but other than that it's great. I average 16 mpg at 65 mph and it handles great. I don't use a toad as I can easily use this MH around town.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:13 AM   #4
TARVIDSON

We have a 2150LE which we have put 6500 miles on last summer and fall. Our experiences duplicate roncurl. The only thing I would add is that the waste tanks are just hanging out in the weather to freeze. I am enclosing and insulating ours to extend the seasons up here in Montana. I'm not very impressed with the plumbing layout,I just blew out the lines on ours per information from the Coachmen website. Hopefully nothing freezes. The water pump is literally under the shower, has no insulation be tween it and the large storage area under the bed which is not heated. So much for the salesman who said you can take these things skiing. On the good side it is easy to drive and much more relaxing to drive than the class C Ford we had before and the heated tanks issue can be solved.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen